INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio output question - (How to I do this?)  (Read 2472 times)

Charlie T.

• Recent member
  • Owned by 2 Scotties
Audio output question - (How to I do this?)
« on: October 16, 2016, 05:30:30 pm »

Setup:  Windows 10 Pro 64 bit; JRiver 22; ASUS Xonar STS Essence using their driver from website.

I am trying to set up 2 outputs.  One will be analog from the Xonar to a Carver HT-9 sonic hologram using a separate input on my receiver.  I use this for personal listening of the CDs.   The other is using the SPDIF from the Xonar in Dolby Digital mode directly to a B&K 507S2 receiver V! input via cable; SPDIF to SPDIF.  I use this for not so serious listening or Netflix/Amazon via internet using all 7.1 speaker setup.  I have used the two separate inputs on the B&K. 

My problem is I can get both a one time or another but not at the same time.  If the analog is set as the Media's sound source, it will work, through the Carver using the analog output from the Xonar to analog on the B&K CD input.  But if I try to change the source to SPDIF, I only get silence.  Exit the program and restart Media Center and using the SPDIF setting on the V1 input via digital audio cable, ta-da it works. 

For both, I set the Windows audio to default to SPDIF, thinking Media Center settings supersede the Windows setting.  I remember something about setting up 'zones' for DAC and regular audio but I can not find the reference.  This is a DAC system but I want to be to change from one output to another without me changing everything back and forth. 

Is there a method to set up  'players' that will allow one for DSP setting of format change none and another for DSP Dolby Digital?

Thanks for any help.

Charlie
Charlie
Ocean Shores, WA

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Audio output question - (How to I do this?)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 07:42:34 am »

What you are describing is definitely possible with TWO sound cards (or DACs).  I'm not sure if your sound card can be run in both modes simultaneously.  I would contact the manufacturer to ask.  I have a funny feeling it might support only one of its outputs at any given time.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 08:50:52 pm »

I remember something about setting up 'zones' for DAC and regular audio but I can not find the reference.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Zones
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76605.0

You aren't playing to both outputs at the one time, are you. You just need MC to switch outputs without a restart? Create two zones. If you can differentiate which media will use which output based on a rule, use Zoneswitch, otherwise you can manually switch zones without a restart.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

wombat66

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:52:49 pm »

Charlie T, Have you found a solution for the Essence STX card? I know it has been a while. I just found this post because I'm trying to see if the Essence STX II can do what you are trying to pull off, that is, have the same audio go to both the analog and the S/PDIF at the same time. I don't own this card, so haven't been able to verify, but in the manual, I found this:

Problem: "I cannot hear any sound from my analog speakers."
Solution: "Check if you are using a Dolby Digital Live encoder through the S/PDIF output. If this is the case, the analog output is muted to get rid of any interference between your digital speaker system and analog speakers or headphones."

Soooo, based on this, using the Asus "Audio Center" program that came with the Essence STX, the "S/PDIF Out" on the Essence STX should be set to PCM and not Dolby Digital Live.

Maybe you tried this already... Hopefully it works?

Cheers!

Pages: [1]   Go Up