INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extracting DVD subtitles  (Read 1439 times)

lorenzoK

Extracting DVD subtitles
« on: October 26, 2016, 10:47:09 pm »

Hi,
   I frequently have opera DVDs that have been ripped into VIDEO_TS folders with associated .VOB files. To port them over to my macMini I find I need to convert them to .MP4 files. I use MediaCenter to do the conversion. Often the subtitles do not seem to be available in the .mp4 file after the conversion. Of course, the .mp4 file does not have a menu that would enable me to turn on the subtitles. I do notice that MediaCenter's
Player->Display Options->Subtitles has an option for finding the subtitles when the mp4 is loaded, but I would need to find an extracted subtitle file and I don't have one.

1) should I first extract them from the .VOB files ? How?

2) are they in the .mp4 files and I don't know how to find them ?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lorenzo Kampel

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Extracting DVD subtitles
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 01:51:59 am »

Just to rule things out, what happens when during playback you do a right click to bring up the OSD / context menu?

Refer here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Subtitles#Selecting_Subtitles

According to the Wiki advice it's typical for DVD subtitles to be found with a bit of digging. MediaInfo is a separate tool that you can use externally to interrogate a media file for the content of key meta data - that's another option.

Can't comment on how MC rips DVDs. I use MakeMKV and mkvtoolnix. This pair gives me the flexibility of picking and choosing what gets ripped and what streams are set by default.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Extracting DVD subtitles
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 06:32:41 am »

Yeah, you should check out MakeMKV for sure.  It will let you make a lossless rip instead of MP4 (lossy) and allow you select subtitles, audio track(s), etc.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up