INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: unique library sharing- is this possible?  (Read 1975 times)

kevinmcdonough

• Recent member
unique library sharing- is this possible?
« on: October 31, 2016, 06:22:12 am »

hey

I suspect this probably isn't possible, but I thought I'd try anyway and see what everyone thinks.

I work in sound engineering, music production and DJing, and have a fairly big collection of both music and samples/loops/production sound effects saved on my main desktop PC. A good few years ago now I was fortunate enough to be looking for an alternative to iTunes and come across J River, and it's been brilliant. As well as the audio, I store a large amount of ripped DVDs, movie files and family photographs in it.

On all of my other Windows based laptops I also use JRiver, but my MacBook Pro is the single hold out, and up until now I've had to stick with iTunes for various reasons. After fighting with it again over the weekend I would like to change that!

While my other laptops etc only have a small selection of the music that I have on the main PC, the MBP is used with the Traktor DJ software for times I have to DJ, and is used with ProTools for music recording and production, and so shares the full collection of audio including sound effects and everything else.

Up until now I have manually kept these two (the iTunes on the MBP and JRiver on the main desktop) roughly in sync manually, just trying as best I can to import the same audio into each one. But gradually things always get imported in different places and it drifts out.

If I am able to switch to JRiver on the mac as well, I would like to automate this somewhat so that they always stay in sync. the actual audio files are easy enough, I have a large google drive account and have enough space to share my audio folder on it, syncing between the two machines, but the library file is more of a challenge. I cant just save this in the google drive because it's only the audio parts I want to keep in sync, and I don't want it to try and pull in the movie and photograph parts into the MBP too.

Is there any way to easily share this, or keep them automatically in sync? 

This would have to be an offline sync where the library file and songs were copied over in the house while I was on wifi and then available on the actual hard disk of the MBP, as I may not have an internet connection at a venue to share an online copy of the library file or stream audio.

k

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: unique library sharing- is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 06:50:33 am »

If you can mount the Mac's drive on the Windows machine, you could set it up as a Handheld and use Handheld Sync.  Backup both machines before you try.

kevinmcdonough

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 07:18:03 am »

If you can mount the Mac's drive on the Windows machine, you could set it up as a Handheld and use Handheld Sync.  Backup both machines before you try.

hey

That would work to sync the main library the first time and get everything going, t's a good way to get started. But I probably wasn't very clear, I meant more an ongoing sync so that as I added songs to the main PC over time, the Mac would continually copy the same audio and library files over and stay in sync.

So yeah, just to be a bit clearer, I'd like the Mac to always be in sync with the audio only files within J River on my main PC. This should be done automatically any time the mac is on the net to update any new songs or playlists added, and should be an offline sync where the files are actually copied to the mac (library and audio) so that everything is always there once transfered even when I have no net connection.

K

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 10:02:29 am »

I would think if you wanted to sync some files, connect the two computers to a network, share the folders and have some backup software mirror the shared folders. Or you can use an online storage.

Not real sure Mac/Win libraries are compatible with each other.
Pages: [1]   Go Up