INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: List selection not working as expected  (Read 1395 times)

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
List selection not working as expected
« on: November 02, 2016, 02:33:08 pm »

If you have a large list of files selected and then want to deselect some of them, it does not behave as expected.
I would expect that holding shift and dragging a selection would deselect those files. It does not.

What you have to do is hold shift to select the files again and then without releasing the mouse, move your selection off the selected files to deselect them.

blgentry

Re: List selection not working as expected
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 04:07:45 pm »

On my system trying this "drag while shift" makes MC drag the files around in the list.  Which makes sense in a way because dragging with left mouse moves files within a list in MC.

You probably already know that you can deselect files, individually, using control-click.  If you haven't tried it, maybe that will help you.

I just tried "drag while shifting" in another program and I see how you are expecting it to work.  Frankly, in 25 years of using GUIs on computers, I've never seen anyone do it the way you are describing.  Seems like kind of an unusual use of mouse/keyboard technique.  That doesn't make it wrong.  Just unusual.

Brian.

RD James

Re: List selection not working as expected
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 08:03:04 pm »

Well JRiver has always done its own thing.
To make a selection with the left mouse button you must be hovering over a blank space first.
If you are hovering over a track you can use the right mouse button to drag-select.

Lots of applications seem to do their own thing in regards to item selection, but the way JRiver behaves just seems odd.
It supports multi-file deselection, but in an unintuitive way.

Here's a video that might explain things better.
You can deselect a group of files, but you must select them again first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up