INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC ScreenSaver  (Read 3463 times)

bopz

• Recent member
MC ScreenSaver
« on: June 13, 2016, 06:51:43 pm »

It might be nice if Media Center offered its own screensaver - say a SmartList that played a photo slideshow.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC ScreenSaver
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 12:55:53 am »

It used to have an experimental thing, well, it still does, but, it seems completely broken when I tried it just now.

It left Windows in an odd state if launched while MC is not running, and if MC is running, it produced an error stating that MC was already running when it tried to run the screensaver.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 01:18:47 am »

I used to really like it - I got it cycling through all my movie cover art back in the day.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 06:53:44 am »

I think copying the file MC21.exe to another file MC21.scr will make Media Center a choice for a screensaver.

And for me it runs reasonably well.

It uses the "Screensaver" playlist / Smartlist for the images.  If that doesn't exist, it just uses all the images.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 08:57:24 am »

And next build will have this little tweak:
Changed: When running as a screensaver, moving the mouse will stop playback.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MusicHawk

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 07:28:21 pm »

Trying to run MC21 as Windows 10 Screen Saver. Renaming to MC21.scr and putting in Windows folder gets it invoked. And for a while it worked OK. But now it only shows a mysterious (to me) message, declaring the Zone belongs to a different Window. I have not found a way to get it back to showing the images as it was earlier today. I'm not intentionally using Zones, and I don't know what other Window could exist when screen saver runs on top of Desktop with no other apps open (other than typical background processes). And, since it worked for a few hours before this error started to appear (and won't go away), what changed within MC?

Also, sometimes it declares that the library does not exist, yet other times it simply loads and uses it. It's a local library named IMAGES, nothing changed by me between when it works and fails.

The only way I've found to reliably load the library and run a slide show is via command line parameters, but I don't see how to do this when run as a screen saver.

Beyond solving the above factors, it would be nice to have a way to bolt-in the proper display mode (literally, Display , I think). Because sometimes the screen saver beautifully shows the images, but other times it shows MC's full UI, with tree, menus, etc., with the images slide show chugging along in the Playing Now area. Odd.

Given MC's value as an Image manager, it sure would be nice to have it smoothly usable as a screen saver too. Suggestions?

PS: Haven't spent time trying to make this work with MC22, though a quick test had similar outcome.

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.
Pages: [1]   Go Up