INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Directory name invalid  (Read 1579 times)

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck
Directory name invalid
« on: November 12, 2016, 09:27:49 am »

I am trying to rip a few cd's to an external drive. Starting yesterday things worked fine and this morning I was able to rip one disc without issue. All of a sudden I now receive a message that the directory name is invalid. Any ideas what might be up with this?

A second issue, could it be possible to include a line of code so that I could change the multiple artists line that is blocked out to the artist on the disk.

Thanks in advance, Richard

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Directory name invalid
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 09:45:29 am »

Is there anything wacky in the Album or Artist fields for the files you're ripping?

It seems like that would be the cause, but it's silly we're not handling it better.  If there is something wacky, please write down what it was and post it here.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Directory name invalid
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 10:13:07 am »

Matt, Thanks for the quick reply. I want to preface what I will post by saying that I have been using Media Center since  version 14. I have a pretty good handle on how to rip CD's and I use your ripping software because it is really easy to do. Today I am re-ripping some CD's to a portable hard drive. They have already been ripped to a WD My Cloud that is working perfectly, no ripping issues and so forth. Thus I don't think it is a mechanical problem. I have probably checked or unchecked something I shouldn't have.

I ripped about 20 CD's last evening. No problems. This morning the first CD ripped just fine. The second CD produced the error that the directory has an invalid name. After trying several other disc's and receiving the same error message, I added my trusty external CD drive for ripping but sill received the error message. Please keep in mind, that these disc's were ripped perfectly in the past to the WD My Cloud using MC.

To speak directly to your question, the settings and all are the same I have been using for years, and it doesn't answer the question why I have been able to rip about two dozen CD's so far without problem.

I did select a box I found that says something about handling long file names. Might that be a problem? However the error message comes up before ripping so maybe it's not related. Lastly I can play the discs using windows media center, so I don't know if that helps or not.

Thanks in advance, Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up