INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: copy media files or library...  (Read 917 times)

Will_Robinson

• Recent member
  • Coming in second simply means first one to lose!
copy media files or library...
« on: July 27, 2003, 03:27:27 pm »

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I don't find it in a search.
I just bought MC and want to duplicate all my MP3's on my notebook once I get them all tagged and analyzed etc.

What is the best way to recreate the library, playlists and other settings from the desktop to the notebook? For instance, once MC on the desktop finishes with the "audio analysis" will that be a "tag" imbeded in the media files that will be read by MC on the notebook? Can I just copy the files across the network from within MC on the notebook?

I intend to keep media files on both computers synched so I'll have an up to date backup as well as be able to manage my iPod from either machine at any time.

All advice and criticism welcome.
Thanks in advance!

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: copy media files or library...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 07:03:37 pm »

First thing...relative paths to the media have to be the same (ie c:\my music on both machines) to use the desktop library. That said, I assume your media is copied over at this point. Now make sure MC is not running on either machine then copy the contents of the MediaCenter\Data directory (just the *.jmd's, not the subdirs) from the desktop to the same location on the notebook. MC will look & feel just like the desktop.

Rx

PS: Cool avatar!

millertivo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2003, 07:36:25 pm »

I just copied all my music files to the laptop, then re-imported everything that I had tagged transferred into that version of Media Center.  You might want to check your cover art.  If you don't imbedi it into the file, it will be in a separate folder under the Data folder.

So is there a easy way to keep your two libraries "synced?"

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2003, 08:21:37 pm »

True...forgot about the coverart.

I've been thinking about writing a batch file that would do this. What it would do is look in specified directories for files that have their archive bit turned on (or off...confusing). If they're on then the batch would copy that file over and turn the original's archive bit off (kind of like an incremental backup). This way things stay synch'd. MS Briefcase could do this also AFAIK...but I don't think it's around anymore from W2k on. There might be something on the net that will do this...maybe do a search on file synchonization.

Rx
Pages: [1]   Go Up