INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver MediaCenter 22 takes about twenty minutes to start  (Read 3461 times)

Tiger007xy

• Recent member
JRiver MediaCenter 22 takes about twenty minutes to start
« on: November 19, 2016, 01:48:58 pm »

Hello,

I have bought JRiver Media Center 22. My music has a size of 41.5 GB. Why does it take so long time for starting the program? It takes about 20 minutes. Does it load my whole music when starting? I have activated the PixOS Theme. I have the problem for one week now.

Best Regards

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver MediaCenter 22 takes about twenty minutes to start
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 02:05:37 pm »

That's not normal.

Are you using antivirus software?

Please describe your setup.

Tiger007xy

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 03:53:18 pm »

I am using Windows 10 x64 on an Intel Core i7 Quadcore Processor with 16 GB RAM. The OS and also JRiver Media Center 22 are installed on a Flash drive.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 04:07:05 pm »

To reiterate...

Are you using antivirus software?

Also, you may want to read through:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Guide

In particular, pay attention to the sections on Anti-Virus and Troubleshooting Slow/Network Disks.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 05:22:41 pm »

Does it load my whole music when starting?
No, it just loads the MC Library, which is quite small. More like 20 to 40 MegaBytes.

I have the problem for one week now.
What changed a week ago?

I am using Windows 10 x64 on an Intel Core i7 Quadcore Processor with 16 GB RAM. The OS and also JRiver Media Center 22 are installed on a Flash drive.

Did your flash drive fill up? Or could it be having problems? Is it really fast?

Is your music on the flash drive as well? If so, have you been doing a lot of tagging in recently, and did you use MC to do the tagging, or some external program? If so, MC may be reading all your music files that have been tagged using the external program, to update its library.

Or, if your antivirus or some other program has changed your music files in any way, MC will detect the File Event, and again, will read all changed music files to update (or check if it needs to update) its library.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Tiger007xy

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 07:10:29 am »

I have reinstalled JRiver Media Center 22 several times now. It has nothing changed. For me it looks like the program is frozen at the begin of starting. My system is healthy. Everything else works fine. I also have had the problem in older versions of JRiver Media Center 22 in cooperation with Windows 10 by ripping a CD that it was frozen. The only solution then was to restart the program. This works now fine. But now it only starts between 10 and 20 minutes. My Antivirus or Firewall does not block this software. Maybe there will be an option in newer releases that JRiver Media Center 22 autostarts with Windows? While starting JRiver Media Center 22 it is only a Background Process, not an App. If the program starts successfully it changes to an App Process. It would be very nice if there is a solution available for this kind of problem. Otherwise I like your program very much. I am a happy customer for several years now.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 07:22:13 am »

If it takes 20 minutes to start, there is something on your machine that is causing it.  Antivirus is the most likely.  What are you using?  Did you try uninstalling it?

Why is MC installed on a flash drive?  That would slow it down a lot. 

Is the drive a USB 3.0 drive?  Is it plugged into a USB 3.0 port?

Did you use the Portable Install to install MC?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 08:42:20 am »

Maybe there will be an option in newer releases that JRiver Media Center 22 autostarts with Windows?

While starting JRiver Media Center 22 it is only a Background Process, not an App. If the program starts successfully it changes to an App Process. It would be very nice if there is a solution available for this kind of problem. Otherwise I like your program very much. I am a happy customer for several years now.

There is a setting at Tools>Options>Startup>Windows Startup to "To Run on Windows Startup: Media Center".

What do you mean by "starts as Background Process - then changes to an App process? What is the significance of this?

Tiger007xy

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 10:01:46 am »

Sorry, my fault, I have installed it on a SSD. So it should normally start faster. And it is only the first time starting MC22 on starting my computer. If I then close it and open MC22 it starts in a few seconds. The next windows start MC22 starts again in about twenty minutes. I use the latest version of G Data Internet Security.
Pages: [1]   Go Up