INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id crashing  (Read 3760 times)

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
Id crashing
« on: November 22, 2016, 07:30:28 am »

After five minutes of play, and regardless of whether I have my Pi3 running as a server or renderer, the device stops the play or responding and I get this error message:

-su: line 1: 2525 killed mediacenter20 /mediserver > /dev/null 2>&1

Jim and team, what say you?  Thanks. JCR

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Id crashing
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 08:01:22 am »

Is the network connection wireless?

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 08:41:30 am »

It is, in part. Range expander wireless to my Den and then Ethernet connected from the range expander to the Pi. So, to the Pi, it's not wireless. The expander is a new 700mW dual Vander and I have high gain aftermarket antennas on it -- so I am getting a very strong signal to it in my Den.  JCR

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 12:05:52 pm »

Hi Jim.  Based on your note regarding wifi, I will set the range expander to use a static IP this evening and see if that might help.

Meanwhile, I thought it might be helpful to indicate my settings on the server, running MC22, and the Pi, running MC20:

On the Pi (using a Meridian Explorer 2 DAC, which goes to 24/192):

Audio Device is front:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 [ALSA]
Bitstreaming set at none
Sample rate is no change until 352K, which is set for output at 176.4 and 384k and higher set for output at 192k
In Media Network, Access Key and authentication are enabled and the DLNA Renderer box is checked
Audio conversion is set for Don't convert audio
The Generic DLNA is set for original mode audio in format PCM 24 bit;  under Advanced, I have the Bitstream DSD, DLNA, DLNAExtra and Enable bitrate field boxes checked

On the server:

In Media Network, DLNA Server, DLNA Renderer and DLNA Controller are all checked
The Generic DLNA is set the same as the Pi above
Under Audio for the Pi zone, it states that I should configure audio under the Add or conflgure DLNA servers
Sample rate is no change until 352K, which is set for output at 176.4 from there and higher

I note in particular that with these settings, SACD ISOs and DFF files appear to play on the Pi renderer -- the screen shows the track and progression of playback --  but no sound comes out.  This is happening only on SACD and DFF files.  When I was using the Pi as a second server (which is why I thought I might be having the crashing, but switching to a renderer status for the Pi hasn't helped), SACD ISOs and DFF files did play and produce sound, using the same Audio Device setting.  So this is a secondary problem, in that I've lost sound output for those highest resolution files.  Unchecking the Bitstream DSD boxes on the Pi and server does not change this result.

Finally, I note that on the Pi's startup, I see a red "failed!" flag for the line startpar: services(s) returned failure: hostname.sh ... No clue if that tells you anything further.

Thanks for the continued assistance.  JCR

BradATIMA

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 12:17:36 pm »

Did you change the name of the Id to something using characters other than letters numbers or hyphens? The hostname.sh failure could be related to an invalid character in the name. However, I am not sure if this is related to the crash.

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 12:38:19 pm »

I changed the name to "Den Music Player". JCR

BradATIMA

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 12:43:34 pm »

Try renaming the Id and replacing the spaces with hyphens.

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 03:11:21 pm »

I take it that the Id naming convention -- which I will correct tonight -- should not impact either the crashing or the inability to produce sound from an SACD ISO or DFF file.  You mentioned the wireless. Would a static IP address on the expander into which the Pi is ethernet connected have an impact?  JCR

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 05:47:54 pm »

If it were mine I would test it with a wired connection. If that works then you know where to start looking.

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 07:43:12 am »

Ok, my report:

I set my wifi expander to a static IP address and to connect via Ethernet to the 2.4Ghz band, which is much stronger in my Den than than 5 Ghz band. I set the Pi on a static address as well and turned off wifi in network settings. I think this has eliminated the cutouts/dropouts.  Cool.

I changed the Id name under choice 15 from "Den Music Player" to "DenMusicPlayer", eliminating the spaces. This has not solved the hostname.sh error message on boot up. Is this of any concern?

My last substantive problem is that SACD ISOs and DFF files play on the Pi, properly converted on the fly to 24/176.4 -- but no sound comes out.  Only those file types.  Native 24/176.4 files work just fine.  I shared my settings on the server and Pi side in my last post.  Thoughts on this?

Thanks. JCR

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 11:21:27 am »

Ok, I can play SACD ISOs and DFF files if I select them from mnt through JRiver Open Media File. But the same files called by JRemote from my server appear on screen in JRiver for a moment and then stop and disappear. Thoughts on this behavior?  JCR
Pages: [1]   Go Up