INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video problem  (Read 4367 times)

joe567890

• Recent member
Video problem
« on: November 27, 2016, 03:25:55 pm »

Is this where I raise a real support issue? 

I've had version 17, 18, skipped 19 and now run version 20, and other than some administrative things, I have not had any software problems I could not fix with searches and tinkering.

I now have an issue that requires technical support from JRiver but can't seem to find a direct email link.  So is this it? A public post?

I have a relatively new PC that ran Red October HQ with little stress on the system for a while, but now Media Center has started to exit after I select a video to play, any video.  No error, just the program ends and the desktop displays.

I tried to uninstall the program with all of its registry settings, had a new license code emailed to me and reinstalled.  And the same behavior happens.

If I change the video mode to Red October Standard videos play, but they all have horizontal lines and are choppy. 

After an interact forum search, I also tried to download a new/latest version of madVR0911, ran the install, but I am not really sure it did anything.  There are no specific install instructions.

Also of note, Kodi plays all of my video files perfectly.

Looking for support.  Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Product Support
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 06:00:32 pm »

This is support.  There is no e-mail support.

Use Red October Standard until you have that working.

Could you describe your setup?  Local files or from a network or USB drive?  Do all files show this problem?

An exit while playing could be a video driver problem. 

joe567890

• Recent member
Re: Video problem
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 10:48:04 am »

Thanks for the reply!

- 6th-gen Intel/Skylake i5-6200U @ 2.30GHz and 16GB of memory.
- Both integrated Intel graphics and a discrete NVIDIA GeForce GT 930M (as is often used in gaming laptops)
- Windows 10 Home (version 1607) OS Build 14393.447; 64 Bit

This PC was working with the latest version 20 build for about a week with "Red October HQ" with little stress on the system (based on the task manager.), essentially I just tweaked/made sure the default graphics being used with Media Center was the  NVIDIA GeForce GT 930M, which I seemingly can verify with the NvGPUStateViewer64 program.

Again, the other day, Media Center started to exit after I selected a video to play.  No error, just the program ends and the desktop displays.

Windows 10 (not so wonderfully by the way...), now updates the computer automatically and there is no longer a simple option to defer or choose  updates, so there were a few MS updates but none looked like they updated the video driver. 

Based on your response about video driver suspicion, I also uninstalled the NVIDIA card and then (re)downloaded the latest GeForce NVIDIA drivers, and installed. 

I can still launch in "Red October Standard" but "Red October HQ" now results in a very long black screen followed by the message "Media Center 20 has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I also now notice that in the NVIDIA control panel, although I can set the "global settings" preferred graphics processor to the "High-performance NVIDIA processor", I can no longer specifically customize JRiver Media Center 20 to the NVIDIA processor.  It shows "Integrated graphics" and the "remove" and "restore" buttons are grayed out.  I am able to assign other programs like Kodi to the "High-performance NVIDIA processor" preference.

Previously I tried to uninstall the JRiver Media Center program and selected to clean all registry settings, had a new license code emailed to me and reinstalled, but the same error happens.

As noted, if I change the video mode to "Red October Standard" videos play, but have horizontal lines and choppy and it is not a usable setting. 

Also as noted, after an interact forum search I also tried to download a new/latest version of madVR0911 and ran the install, but I am not really sure it did anything, it said no files were copied.  I was able to look at the config and other tools by running from the installed directory.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 10:55:52 am »

joe567890

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 09:23:34 am »

I've spent a bunch of time investigating the thread and contacting Nvida.

A quick summary of the thread activities/checks:
- No fan on the video hardware, and no EVGA Precision X setting
- No firewall issue, testing with local video files, and clean install and removed bloat so no junk files (like the Vuze or webroot threads), no plug-ins or VST in MC20 for me, clean install
- Uninstalled, and cleaned and inspected new Nvidia driver install (with nvidiaInspector)
- And I installed Microsoft package KB3099229_x64

No luck.

After a call to Nvidia, one aspect from my original post was wrong and it seems the issue is that Media Center is defaulting to "integrated graphics" for some reason.  And ROHQ fails on the integrated graphics. 

There is a capability to assign programs to a GPU in the Nvidia control panel, but "J River Media Center 20 (media center 20.exe)" comes up as "Integrated graphics" and the "remove" and "restore" buttons are grayed out.  The Nvidia tech, which by the way, finding a human to speak to was too difficult (408.486.2000 to save someone else time), he said this is "an application problem" (of course he did...).  So even if he could scrub my registry and flip the setting, the next time I ran media center it would flip back.

Thoughts?  Work arounds to get the card recognized?

joe567890

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 09:24:34 pm »

bump

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 07:08:56 am »

Could you try MC22 to see what happens?

Even if it is a bug in MC20 (and I don't think it is), it won't be fixed.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 12:46:14 pm »

My wife has a Lenovo laptop that has integrated graphics as well as a GT 755M.
We use the NVIDEA control panel to select MC22 to use NVIDEA.
Red October HQ works fine and always has.
Using Windows 10 Pro. It has probably been 2 months since windows or NVIDEA driver have been updated.

Not super useful information but may help point you in the right direction.
Like Jim suggested, you could test with MC22.
Pages: [1]   Go Up