INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library server question  (Read 1965 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
Library server question
« on: November 29, 2016, 11:01:15 am »

So, I have MC running on one computer (all files on a 2TB external drive). I also keep an identical copy as a backup on another 2TB external drive. I play my music in two different locations in the house (each with computer/DAC/speakers etc.) My question is this:

Is it better to use the first computer as a library server for the second, and just keep my backup drive hidden away for security purposes, OR plug the second backup drive in the other computer and use that drive instead. To connect with the library server, I will have to go under the house and run a cable to create a network. Is it worth the trouble?

What, then, are the pros and cons of library server vs duplicate drive for computer #2? (Of course, I know the library server method allows for things such as easy tag changes, centralized playlists, updated numbers of plays etc., but I don't really need that). Are there, for instance likely to be any sound differences or other issues?

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library server question
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 06:57:08 pm »

Since you are aware of the benefits of the server/client model and don't need those features I would use the 2nd HDD connected to the 2nd computer. Another option would be to just use wifi for the client/server method.

MikeO

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 01:38:26 am »

Hi

What is a backup ?, if you use it connected to a second PC is it still a backup ?

Sods law says both your "working drives" will crash simultaneously and leave you with nothing , a third 2Tb , as a "True and Unused Backup" costs peanuts compared with replacing 2Tb of files.

Call me a pessimist maybe BUT ...

PS it hasn't happened to me but I do keep 3 full copies  ;D

Mike

MikeO

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 01:40:52 am »

PPS

The advantages of the server route means that maintenance of the library etc is in one place and you can take advantage of JRemote and the enhanced vies you can get

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up