INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Sub Type of 'Special Feature'?  (Read 2397 times)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Media Sub Type of 'Special Feature'?
« on: December 03, 2016, 09:42:22 am »

Looking to see if there is any agreement or thoughts on adding 'Special Feature' to the sub type list. To me a 'Short' is a specific type of content that is different than a special feature so right now they all end up going in to 'Other' with a genre of 'Special Feature'. In my mind a 'Special Feature' is a very common and specific type of content that deserves a spot in the list.

Thoughts? If you feel 'Special Feature's are adequately covered by the existing list, please enlighten me on how you deal with them.

Thanks.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
Re: Media Sub Type of 'Special Feature'?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 12:37:33 pm »

Could you please expand on what you mean by special features.
Are you referring to dvd and blu-ray extras?

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 09:08:02 pm »

Could you please expand on what you mean by special features.
Are you referring to dvd and blu-ray extras?

Yes, the 'special features' that come with movies. These include interviews, behind the scenes, making of, gag reels, deleted/expanded scenes, etc.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 08:36:01 am »

There are many approaches to this problem.  An easy one is to make a keyword called "special features".  Then build your views to show, or not show these features based on that keyword.

I haven't figured out my complete system yet, but I'm experimenting with using the Series, Season, and Episode tags to group movies together.  Like all of the Die Hard movies for example.  Then the sorting is controlled by the other tags.  Extra features of each are sorted with the movies too.  In the Episode tag, I use the letter "E" to indicate "extra" or "special feature".  So my views can use this to decide when to show the special features.

As I said, I don't have this completely implemented yet.  I'm just playing around with it.

Brian.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 06:33:57 pm »

If you feel 'Special Feature's are adequately covered by the existing list, please enlighten me on how you deal with them.

I have MC setup to handle my movie extras quite nicely.
I make a custom field called "Installment"
Typically the installment value is either "Disc 1" for full disc rips, or "Part 1" when ripped to mkv.
If there are multiple discs then there will be a Disc 1, Disc 2, etc.
If there are extras in an mkv rip the installments will look something like this:
Part 01 - Main Movie, Part 2 - Extras, Part 3 - Extras, etc.
All installments share the same movie name so they can all be scraped and have the same art.

I have just been stock piling my TV Show extras because I don't know what to do with them yet.
Maybe use season 3.1 for season 3 extras?
Or maybe give them episode numbers in the 100 range?
I will have some system in place by new year but am curious what others are doing.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 02:15:29 pm »

Thanks for the responses. I like the Keyword idea as it frees up the Genre field. What 'media sub type' do you use for special features/extras? Any thoughts on expanding the existing media sub types to cover this type of content? Right now they all go in to 'other' for me because none of the others seem to fit.

Sometimes the extra features are covered by 'Trailer' or 'Short' but most of the time they just end up as 'Other' because the list doesn't have a spot for them. I also have the same issue with web content (YouTube videos, etc.) where none of the sub types really fit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up