INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting Albums view like iTunes  (Read 3094 times)

biggsy

• Recent member
Sorting Albums view like iTunes
« on: December 08, 2016, 07:51:21 am »

Before anyone shouts at me, I have looked through the forum (as much as is practical) before asking.

I've had MC for a couple of days and am still getting used to configuring it. Been mostly successful so far but this has me stumped.

For example, the Beatles album "A Hard Day's Night" sorts under "H" in iTunes but under "A" in MC. I thought I could get around this by using the 'Clean()' function in an expression, but although the sort order is now correct, the album title shows the results of the 'Clean()' i.e. "Hard Day's Night".

What I'd like is to sort by 'Clean()' but display the full album title as in the 'Album' tag. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Cheers,
Biggsy

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sorting Albums view like iTunes
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 08:20:27 am »

welcome to the forum.
go to options>tree & view>sorting   :)
notice how the options menu has a search.. can be handy

:)
gab

biggsy

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 11:01:24 am »

Hi,
I tried that so unless I'm missing something really obvious I couldn't see a way to achieve what I want.

I want to ignore leading articles ('a', 'an', 'the' etc) in the sort (so "A Hard Day's Night" sorts just before "Heartbreaker"), but the album title stills shows "A Hard Day's Night"

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 11:15:17 am »

What View are you using? Are you in Standard View>Audio>Files, or Theater View>Audio>All Files, or ?

biggsy

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 02:29:50 pm »

Hi,
Firstly, thanks for all your help, it is appreciated

So, I'm in Standard View>Audio>Albums (incidentally, just found how to add the artist name to the view - very neat  ;D)

Right now I have "A Foot in the Door" sorted next to "A Hard Day's Night".

I've tried customising the 'Albums' view to add an expression to 'Clean([album],2)' - this removes the 'A' so now "A Hard Day's Night" is sorted amongst the H's, and "A Foot in the Door" is with the F's (exactly where I want). However, the title that is displayed is the result of the 'Clean()', i.e. "Hard Day's Night" and "Foot in the Door".

What I'm after is the sorting to work on the result of the Clean()' expression, but to display the album title in full in the thumbnail.

Does this explain things better?

Thanks again,
Biggsy

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 03:40:54 pm »

gabbie had you on the right track.

Tools>Options>Tree&View>Sorting.  Hit the down arrow beside Sorting and there is a checkbox that ignores articles.

MikeO

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 02:05:57 am »

Being very international watch out for leading "die" in your movies Die Hard sorts in the H section

Mikee

biggsy

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 06:31:08 am »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies - I'll give the Options a try out tonight (fingers crossed)

Biggsy

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 06:31:39 am »

Being very international watch out for leading "die" in your movies Die Hard sorts in the H section

There is a clever trick you can use to avoid the "Die Hard" / "Die Fledermaus" problem..

MC looks for a space character as a marker to identify the separation between the article and the noun. It looks for a regular Unicode U+0020 space character. So the trick is that when you have a case like "Die Hard", do not use a regular space character, but instead use a "non-breaking-space" character (Unicode U+00A0) between the Die and the Hard. That way, the track will properly sort under D rather than under H..

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 10:41:31 am »

I don't have more than a couple cases, but great info AndrewFG

biggsy

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 01:22:22 pm »

That's cracked it!  :) :)
I hadn't thought of looking under the Options (sorry, noob error)

Next question (soz) - can I make it sort numbers and other 'special' characters last instead of first?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 04:18:21 pm »

You can add other words to the list of articles if you want. E.g. "Sir" or "Dr." ..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up