INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: QNAP Beta build MC 22  (Read 38790 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
QNAP Beta build MC 22
« on: December 15, 2016, 12:14:07 pm »

Here are a couple of beta builds for the QNAP. Until QNAP restores MC in the QNAP store you should consider these to be unsupported.

Latest MC 22 build for QNAP, install manually. READ NOTES BELOW FIRST IF YOU HAVE MC 21 from the QNAP store installed!
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v22/latest/MediaCenter22_22.0.111-5_x86_64.qpkg

THESE ARE SOME IMPORTANT POINTS TO BE AWARE OF:

1) You can't have both MC 21 and MC 22 installed at the same time on the QNAP.
2) If you have MC 21 installed and then install MC 22 you'll lose your library and license for MC 21.
3) You should backup your existing MC 21 library (if you have one) to the QNAP network share and copy it off on to a PC/MAC for safety before trying to install MC 22.

Check the general linux changelog for changes in the build.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
Re: QNAP Beta builds MC 21 and 22
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 11:13:05 pm »

Here are a couple of beta builds for the QNAP. Until QNAP restores MC in the QNAP store you should consider these to be unsupported.

Latest MC 21 build for QNAP.  install manually.
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v21/latest/MediaCenter21_21.0.95_x86_64.qpkg
Latest MC 22 build for QNAP, install manually. READ NOTES BELOW FIRST IF YOU HAVE MC 21 installed!
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v21/latest/MediaCenter22_22.0.48_x86_64.qpkg

THESE ARE SOME IMPORTANT POINTS TO BE AWARE OF:

1) You can't have both MC 21 and MC 22 installed at the same time on the QNAP.
2) If you have MC 21 installed and then install MC 22 you'll lose your library and license for MC 21.
3) You should backup your existing MC 21 library (if you have one) to the QNAP network share and copy it off on to a PC/MAC for safety before trying to install MC 22.

Thanks .. appreciated.  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 04:30:53 pm »

Thank you Bob!!!

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 03:37:53 pm »

Understable that there were would be some growing pains fresh off the release of MC22, but I wanted post crashlogs here as I have been experiencing crashes frequently.  They're pretty big logs too which is also noteworthy and as I've just posted on DropBox, they're probably still being uploaded.  Please let me know if there's anything that I can do on my end to troubleshoot and isolate the source of the crashes:

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ugkitz0c23lt5o/Log.txt?dl=0
Previous Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aokxa24c98wbsx4/Previous%20Log.txt?dl=0

Thanks again for the release of MC22!! 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 10:55:14 am »

I don't see anything special going on in your log other than importing and thumbnailing.

It's possible that's running the QNAP out of resources, you could try these steps:

In options do a search for "thumb"
In Tree and View, turn off "Create Thumbnails for video"

see if that helps

If not, with the same search also in Tree and View, set the thumbnail creation threading to LOW.

see if that helps

If not, disable auto-importing in Tools->Import

ccchuck

Re: QNAP Beta builds MC 21 and 22: TS-231?
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 05:02:49 pm »

I'm "out of the loop" so pardon if I'm asking a foolish question, will JRiver media center work on a ts-231?

and if no, how far up the chain to a unit that would?

bob

• Administrator
Re: QNAP Beta builds MC 21 and 22: TS-231?
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 10:39:15 am »

I'm "out of the loop" so pardon if I'm asking a foolish question, will JRiver media center work on a ts-231?

and if no, how far up the chain to a unit that would?
It needs an intel processor with at least sse2. It was developed on a TS-251. The firmware on the QNAP is 4.2.2 which roughly corresponds to ubuntu 14.04.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 10:47:03 pm »

Hi guys, is there a beta bug tracking site for this version of JR?

In its absence what is the feeling of MC22 on the QNAP, pretty reliable? I'm happy with JR21 for the most part but do get the odd crash.

QNAP pulling support for MC caught me by surprise, any feeling on whether this is permanent or will they come back?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 02:20:55 am »

It caught us by surprise as well.  I can't recommend QNAP at this time.  I believe the current build of MC for QNAP does work, but we won't be putting much more time into it.

Louis

• Junior Woodchuck
  • It only looks like an optical illusion
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 05:05:43 pm »

FYI I get a "SourcePath Too Long" error when attempting to backup the MediaCenter21 directory to either the QNAP share or local PC. (The properties of this directory are: 1.40 GB; 6,375 files; 523 Folders).
By comparison, I tried backing up other directories in the qpkg Apps directory and did not encounter this error (eg PlexMediaServer 4.83 GB; 116,954 files; 73,381 folders).

I notice the folder nesting stretches forever on this path
\\bf1\qpkg\MediaCenter21\opt\MediaCenter21\root\.config\chrome-user-data-dir\MediaCenter21\MediaCenter21\MediaCenter21\MediaCenter21\MediaCenter21\MediaCenter21\MediaCenter21\MediaCenter21\MediaCenter21\MediaCenter21\MediaCenter21\MediaCenter21\MediaCenter21........etc

I raise this observation in case it helps to point to a solution for the poor unstable performance of MC on QNAP, I'm not really concerned with backing up this directory at this time.

gpelts

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 06:25:13 am »

Thanks for providing this installation package. I was able to install and configure JRiver version 22.x on my Qnap TBS-453A server. I'm hoping you can advise on the last remaining glitch. I've converted my movies from the VIDEO_TS format to mp4. The resulting mp4 files play without any issues on a windows server as well as on the same Linux server using the default Qnap video player. However, when the same video exhibits choppy playback in JRiver - it pauses for a split-second every 1-2 seconds throughout the movie. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 10:16:53 am »

Thanks for providing this installation package. I was able to install and configure JRiver version 22.x on my Qnap TBS-453A server. I'm hoping you can advise on the last remaining glitch. I've converted my movies from the VIDEO_TS format to mp4. The resulting mp4 files play without any issues on a windows server as well as on the same Linux server using the default Qnap video player. However, when the same video exhibits choppy playback in JRiver - it pauses for a split-second every 1-2 seconds throughout the movie. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks
What are the following characteristics of the file?
Compression field
Filetype
Bitrate

You can find these when you view the file with details in MC (you may have to enable some of those fields in the view by right-clicking on the header bar with the file fields).

gpelts

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 08:42:36 pm »

Filetype: M4V (video: h264 audio: aac)
Compression: I can't seem to find this information. The video was converted by MyMovies from a BluRay rip using the standard settings (which I can't find in MyMovies :) )
Bitrate: varies from 3k-6kbps

Note: The same video file plays without any issues on a Windows 10 htpc running JRiver Media Center 22

Thanks in advance, Greg

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 01:10:53 pm »

Filetype: M4V (video: h264 audio: aac)
Compression: I can't seem to find this information. The video was converted by MyMovies from a BluRay rip using the standard settings (which I can't find in MyMovies :) )
Bitrate: varies from 3k-6kbps

Note: The same video file plays without any issues on a Windows 10 htpc running JRiver Media Center 22

Thanks in advance, Greg
In the file display you click on the header and enable the display of the compression field.
I'll attach a screenshot shortly.

gpelts

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 08:01:56 pm »

Let me know when you can attach a screenshot since I can't seem to find any way to show the Compression. Adding the [Compression] tag to the Player display doesn't show anything.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 09:34:24 am »

Here you go...

gpelts

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 08:23:24 pm »

I seem to have already provided compression without knowing it.
Compression: video: h264 audio: aac
Bitrate: 5716 (varies from movie to movie, though all have the same issue)
Filetype: m4v

Thanks in advance,
Greg

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 10:55:39 pm »

Won't be able to look at this more until I return from vacation in a couple of weeks

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 06:56:43 pm »

It caught us by surprise as well.  I can't recommend QNAP at this time.  I believe the current build of MC for QNAP does work, but we won't be putting much more time into it.

That's a huge shame. I really like JRiver but have invested some money in QNAP, so might be time to explore the Plex option.

Thanks for the feedback.

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 01:57:57 pm »

I hope you continue to provide a working version. What I heard from a few who supported JRiver in the one or other way is, that they have too much work with JRiver support, that should be given by JRiver instead.
Hope this great product is not slowly going down due to liabilities and connected support demand.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 09:20:49 pm »

Does anyone have a feel for how memory intensive MC21/22beta is on a QNAP?

I've run both on a TS-453mini with 2Gb (it came with this onboard) and regularly see the app freezing or unloading.

I'm not running any other apps so was wondering if it was sufficiently spec'd for JRiver?

Thanks

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 02:20:07 am »

I just can tell it's no serious load for my TS 253pro. I only have very rare crashes and only when autoimport is activated.

It runs very stable in the meantime, that's why it's awful to hear it might not be supported anymore and I have to keep my PC switched on again in future.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 05:26:19 am »

I just can tell it's no serious load for my TS 253pro. I only have very rare crashes and only when autoimport is activated.

It runs very stable in the meantime, that's why it's awful to hear it might not be supported anymore and I have to keep my PC switched on again in future.

It shouldn't be an issue for the qnap units that can run a VM. As long as you've got enough memory on board, set up a Linux VM - they run with a low overhead anyway - and you can then install MC. That method should deal with current and future MC versions.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 07:02:03 pm »

It shouldn't be an issue for the qnap units that can run a VM. As long as you've got enough memory on board, set up a Linux VM - they run with a low overhead anyway - and you can then install MC. That method should deal with current and future MC versions.

Do you recommend to install another Linux version of MC on a QNAP on top of a virtual machine (which I don't know how to set up on the QNAP)...or is there still any hope you continue to bugfix the current QNAP versions of MC in future?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2017, 04:14:58 am »

It's not a recommendation.

I'm simply pointing out that there are workable alternatives to consider going forward. I appreciate that the prospect of dealing with another layer of complexity is undesirable but I also think it's useful to know that for people who've invested in QNAP hardware, they aren't necessarily dealing with a dead end.

Not being part of the JRiver dev team, I can't speak for the view of ongoing bug-fixes / support of the QNAP package. Personally, I'd like to see this continue. However, if they take a business view of limiting the menu, then at least I know what I'd do next. Just sharing my thoughts and trying to be constructive.. cheers ..  :D

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2017, 06:17:02 am »

Thanks much, I appreaciate that! Although I'd have a couple of more questions in case I'd have to go there...

gpelts

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2017, 04:56:03 pm »

Bob,
In case you're back from vacation, both M4V and MKV playback exhibit the same behavior - pauses for a split-second every 1-2 seconds
Filetype: M4V
Compression: (video: h264 audio: aac)
Bitrate: 5716 (varies from movie to movie, though all have the same issue)
or
Filetype: MKV
Compression: (video: h264 audio: TrueHD)
Bitrate: 32690 (varies from movie to movie, though all have the same issue)

Note: The same video files play without any issues on: a Windows 10 htpc running JRiver Media Center 22 OR on the same QNAP box under VideoStation. Seems to be a player issue ... Help???

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2017, 05:04:06 pm »

As long as you've got enough memory on board, set up a Linux VM - they run with a low overhead anyway - and you can then install MC. That method should deal with current and future MC versions.

That's a great suggestion actually thanks Astromo. Although how hard is it - and apologies if this is outlined already - to compile a MC linux build into a QNAP as Bob has done?

Also re my earlier post about memory usage, the QNAP was sluggish and the disks were chattering like mad this morning and I noticed that the process mediacenter22 was grabbing over 1.5Gb of memory,  sounds a bit too much....?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 10:34:38 am »

That's a great suggestion actually thanks Astromo. Although how hard is it - and apologies if this is outlined already - to compile a MC linux build into a QNAP as Bob has done?

Also re my earlier post about memory usage, the QNAP was sluggish and the disks were chattering like mad this morning and I noticed that the process mediacenter22 was grabbing over 1.5Gb of memory,  sounds a bit too much....?
Could be thumbnailing. Try turning the threading priority for that down to low (search in options).

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 04:53:34 pm »

Could be thumbnailing. Try turning the threading priority for that down to low (search in options).

Will give that a try tonight thanks Bob. What does that process actually do, regenerate icons?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2017, 05:22:55 pm »

Will give that a try tonight thanks Bob. What does that process actually do, regenerate icons?
Yes

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2017, 02:55:37 pm »

What amount of add. memory is required compared with a TS 253 pro 2GB if there are no parallel tasks to music playing (Hires)? Or is it sufficient?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2017, 03:53:29 pm »

What amount of add. memory is required compared with a TS 253 pro 2GB if there are no parallel tasks to music playing (Hires)? Or is it sufficient?
You're diverging from the intent of the original thread.

Suggest you ask this one separately or check Qnap documentation/web forum.

haru

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2017, 02:53:06 am »

Never mind!

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2017, 06:52:43 pm »

There's a Problem with JRemote which only appears with JRiver for QNAP as source, not with JRiver for Windows:

If there's a "&" in the folder path Name, assets are not shown and if there's a letter with accent (like with french or spanish letters etc.) in the file tag, music files are not shown.

Any chance this get's fixed? I'm referring to the latest MC22 for QNAP downloaded from above.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2017, 11:46:10 am »

There's a Problem with JRemote which only appears with JRiver for QNAP as source, not with JRiver for Windows:

If there's a "&" in the folder path Name, assets are not shown and if there's a letter with accent (like with french or spanish letters etc.) in the file tag, music files are not shown.

Any chance this get's fixed? I'm referring to the latest MC22 for QNAP downloaded from above.
Do you know if that's an issue in the current generic linux build of MC22?

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2017, 11:54:05 am »

No, sorry I can't tell

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2017, 03:37:31 pm »

I'm testing this and I can't see any difference between the windows and linux versions.
What are the "assets" in JRemote? I'm just assuming that is the metadata information shown in the playing now window.

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2017, 03:52:01 pm »

No, assets are the attachments hidden behind two tabs right of the metadata within the info page on play now screen.

Also hidden tracks of tags containing accents are only hidden when I use the Qnap version as source, not within the library of my Windows version.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2017, 03:54:33 pm »

No, assets are the attachments hidden behind two tabs right of the metadata within the info page on play now screen.

Also hidden tracks of tags containing accents are only hidden when I use the Qnap version as source, not within the library of my Windows version.
I've not used this before. Can you explain how to produce and show an asset?

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2017, 04:33:49 pm »

Creating them just means storing a PDF or jpg in the music folder path or below.

Recalling them is shown in my screenshot

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2017, 05:21:56 pm »

Ok, I can reproduce it.
Will take a look...

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2017, 05:35:31 pm »

Thanks! Also the problem with the accents?

I posted a screenshot also for this

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2017, 05:59:46 pm »

Found the & issue.
It's in JRemote.
Don't have a clue on accents yet.
You say it works in Windows and not Linux MC?

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2017, 06:24:13 pm »

Correct, works in Windows and not in Qnap MC (Linux MC I don't know)

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2017, 06:29:32 pm »

There's  one more difference, I don't know how to solve:

In the windows version I can search for any words in any tag within any view and get the result found.

In the Qnap version I can only search for words in the field the view is sorted to, like in the artist view I can only search for artists while in the windows version I can also search for a label within the artist view.

In both versions I selected the setting to index all fields for searching.

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2017, 06:45:31 pm »

Ah wait, on the last one I'm not sure, Inthink it was a difference between searching in windows or in JRemote, not in windows or Qnap NAS

I'm online again in 8 hours

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2017, 04:49:18 pm »

Is there a command that I can enter into terminal when I have connected to my NAS via ssh to run Media Center when it's not running?  Currently when MC is not running, I open up an iOS app to run the command to connect via ssh, then start the VNC server, and then switch over to another app, VNC Viewer, to open up HD Station and then drag the cursor to open up MC and then switch over to the terminal app to close the VNC server and then close the connection.  Then I'll be able to switch over to JRemote to connect.

I'm wondering if I can just have the middle step removed, where I have open up VNC viewer and then start the MC app?  I tried running the following commands but I got the error that the command is not found. 

Code: [Select]
[/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/MediaCenter22] # MediaCenter22.sh start                                       
-sh: MediaCenter22.sh: command not found

I saw the pinned thread but I couldn't find any commands that would apply for the QNAP version.

Thanks for the consideration!

Edit:
I found the command to stop Media Center, but couldn't use it to start it back up:

This works:
/etc/init.d/MediaCenter22.sh stop
This doesn't work:
/etc/init.d/MediaCenter22.sh start

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2017, 07:21:59 pm »

Found the & issue.
It's in JRemote.
Don't have a clue on accents yet.
You say it works in Windows and not Linux MC?

I got an update on JRemote, thanks much, will test it asap.

Hope you'll get the clue to the accent problem, too!

Montxx

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2017, 12:00:13 pm »

Hi Bob,

Yesterday the trial period expired. I tried to purchase the app, but the page said it's no longer possible.
Is there a solution to solve this?

Kind regards,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up