INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC22 works well on Windows Server 2016 - this is not a supported configuration  (Read 3353 times)

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

DISCLAIMER 1 : the development team at JRiver has always said clearly that the server versions of Windows are not supported.
Honestly, I understand them.  Customer base is insignificant regarding the regression tests necessary.
Please do not report a bug if you have not been able to replicate it on Windows 10/8.1/8/7.  On Windows Server, we are on our own.  Don't bug the developpers/beta team !

DISCLAIMER 2 : there are no proven sound or video benefits from running Media Center on Windows Server 2016/2012/2008/2003.
Just do not do it for those reasons...

The purpose of my post is to report that JRiver Media Center 22 works correctly on Server 2016, and possibly have users help each other.

I have been using JR Media Server for a long time on Windows Server 2012R2.  I use both Media Server and the Media Center front end on a Xeon E3-1246 based workstation, custom built for power efficiency.

The reason I used Server 2012R2, and now Server 2016:
- I wanted a single 24/7 computer in the house, powerful yet power efficient.
- I run JR MC client HTPCs on each TV in the house, and on Windows 10 tablets, and JRemote on Android tablets.
- Instead of a NAS, I run a file server.
- I run JR Media Server.
- I have Hyper-V virtual machines running 24/7.
- I want Active Directory.  This is the main reason to use a server OS...
- OTA TV is centrally controlled on the server.  I use multiple HDHomeRun dual ATSC tuners.

This is the sequence I used on a fresh install of Windows Server 2016 Datacenter:
- install Server 2016 with the Desktop Experience
- install motherboard drivers as necessary
- enable Windows audio services
- add features Direct Play, Media Foundation, Quality Windows audio video experience
- follow steps that suit you there : http://www.win2012workstation.com/
- install Media Center 22.0.48 (I restored a previous library backup with settings).
- open the firewall for JRiver on private network
- For OTA TV support : install Broadcast Driver Architecture (BDA) support.  https://knowledge.zomers.eu/dvblogic/Pages/How-to-add-BDA-support-to-Windows-Server-2012.aspx I just ignored errors.
- install HDHomeRun drivers

The whole setup was a matter of a few hours today, and works perfectly.  I was able to watch videos, OTA TV and listen to music on the workstation itself and on MC clients through the house.  I still have to install Hyper-V support, the VMs and Active Directory on that machine, but do not expect problems (I removed my Server 2012R2 SSD and temporarily installed a new, bigger SSD)

Cheers !

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Thanks for the disclaimers, and I understand your good intentions, but this is not a path we advise anyone to take.  If you're a guru and want to do it, great.  Just don't litter the forum with problem reports and questions.

Locking this now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up