INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Personnel listing possible?  (Read 1937 times)

MuseChaser

• Recent member
Personnel listing possible?
« on: December 19, 2016, 01:43:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure this isn't supported in metadata yet, but it would be GREAT if it was...

Here's the wish..

As a musician myself, "WHO is playing <insert instrument> on this recording?" is frequently of much more importance than even the title of the track, album, or credited "main" artist.  Being able to consult the CD or vinyl hardcopy is one of the main reasons that I never really fully embraced the convenience of downloaded or networked media.  I'm coming around to the convenience of it, of course, but I find myself still going to the physical media constantly to answer that burning question.. "who IS that great saxophonist?"

IS it possible to embed and display personnel listings of files, so I know WHO the bassist is on a given Miles Davis recording?

Just curious..

Thanks..

Barry

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Personnel listing possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 02:03:20 pm »

I don't know that it's possible out of the box, but you can certainly create your own custom fields to store that kind of information.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 02:17:01 pm »

as imugli said you can create a custom field

I created "Who Is Playing" Custom Field

Added "Herb Alpert" to that field

modifed "Customize Display" and Display the information by using: "[Name] ([Album]) Who Is Playing [Who Is Playing]"

I have a song now playing, and who is playing is "Hurpet Albert" shown in the now playing window.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 02:28:34 pm »

[People] is a stock field that can take multiple values.  I've experimented with populating this for a handful of my albums.  It works just fine, except there's no really clean way to tie a performer name to the instrument they play.

For example, I have Derek Trucks in the People field on 32-20 Blues by Gov't Mule.  But that doesn't tell me that Derek Trucks plays guitar on that song.  I suppose you could populate the field and include the instrument in parenthesis like:

Derek Trucks (Guitar)

That would probably work just fine actually.  ...and in cases where musicians play different instruments on different songs, you could just have an entry for each instrument.  Because the People field is a multi-valued field, you can populate it with as many musicians as you want and you can do it all from a pull down list.

If you take the time to do it, it's actually a very powerful way to explore your music.

Brian.

221bBS

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 02:53:10 pm »

I use Picard to tag my music. If a recording has been tagged with performers, my tags have performers. Image added.

Take a look at Miles Davis' Blue Moods album in their database. If something isn't tagged you can always add them.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 05:24:34 pm »

I will typically right click on the selection and go to the wiki link to see what is in wikipedia. I've often learned more from wikipedia than on some liner notes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up