INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: output 24bit padded?  (Read 4785 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
output 24bit padded?
« on: December 28, 2016, 12:17:54 pm »

Anyone know what 'padded' means in the window that appears when I click the blue direct path indicator (bear the top of the MC 22 main window)?:

output: 24bit 2ch (padded) using WASAPI

Stangely, the word 'padded' does not appear on my other computer, also using MC with WASAPI in audio device settings

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: output 24bit padded?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 12:21:02 pm »

Some audio devices do not accept a native 24-bit signal, but instead require 32-bit - in this case MC takes the 24-bit and pads it with zeros until its 32-bit, and out comes 24 (padded).
Its still bit-exact 24-bit audio, just padded to fit the requirements of the hardware device - which is done automatically if the hardware requires it.

Note that there is still a distinct difference between 24 (padded) and actual 32-bit in WASAPI, as the audio device is told that its receiving 24-bit padded instead of actual 32-bit audio, so it can act accordingly and properly process the 24-bit of actual audio - the padding is just for transport.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 12:34:33 pm »

Interesting. I was able to change it to 32-bit by switching between ASIO and WASAPI.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 12:53:53 pm »

Interesting. I was able to change it to 32-bit by switching between ASIO and WASAPI.

I don't think ASIO has a 24-bit padded mode, so it would accept full 32-bit. However, if your DAC is a 24-bit DAC, then it will likely not use the full 32-bit information. We have a checkbox in the ASIO output plugin to tell MC to pack only 24-bit for those devices.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 01:02:45 pm »

Yes, thanks, I think it has to do with my 24-bit DAC. Strange, though, that the ASIO setting shows up as 32-bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up