INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sugestion: Better Grouping "Tips" on using ) and ]  (Read 2514 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Sugestion: Better Grouping "Tips" on using ) and ]
« on: December 25, 2016, 08:32:52 am »

I still have trouble figuring this out (without experimentation), maybe others do too. Even with trial and error I'm not always sure what I set up becasue the results display doesn't use the word "and" (like it does with "or"). As described in in picture 1.

The hover over tip says "Use ')' or ']' to group the rules". Is one operator an "AND" and the other an "OR"?

There are so may possible combinations: [[, [(, ((, ([  how are the inside conditions separated from the outside conditions? Is this different "[(" from "(["?

What is correct setup for "(Condition1 OR Conditon2) AND Conditon3"  as opposed to "(Condition1 AND Condiditon2) OR Condition3"?

PS. I see in my second picture that the leading '(' or '[' is missing, although they are in the Rules.

I think a better description (in the italics part of picture 2 below) for this feature would be very helpful.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Sugestion: Better Grouping "Tips" on using ) and ]
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 03:58:27 pm »

The hover over tip says "Use ')' or ']' to group the rules". Is one operator an "AND" and the other an "OR"?

The tip actually says "Use '(' to -OR- Rules and '[' to -AND- rules".  So it should be clear enough.

I will give you some more examples, in addition to what Marko linked.

[(RuleA
   RuleB)
   RuleC]

is equivalent to

(RuleA OR RuleB) AND RuleC

([RuleA
  RuleB]
 [RuleC
  RuleD])

is equivalent to

(RuleA AND RuleB) OR (RuleC AND RuleD)

When you have nested brackets, such as one that begins with ([, you should make sure the the closing brackets are used in reverse order, i.e. ] before ) in this example.  Example 2 in the post linked by Marko is an example of nested brackets that do not start with two brackets next to each other, like '[(', but it is still nested.  In that example, '(' is before '[', and therefore ')' must be after ']'.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 05:42:09 pm »

The tip actually says "Use '(' to -OR- Rules and '[' to -AND- rules".  So it should be clear enough.

The Tool Tip I see does not have the word "AND" in it (at least not in the "tool tip" I'm showing/talking about in attached picture).
Anyways, I love the ability to add these rules. Thanks for your work on this.
 I'm only posting now to suggest ways to improve the "instructions" part.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 06:46:28 pm »

The Tool Tip I see does not have the word "AND" in it (at least not in the "tool tip" I'm showing/talking about in attached picture).
Anyways, I love the ability to add these rules. Thanks for your work on this.
 I'm only posting now to suggest ways to improve the "instructions" part.

Hover over the left side of each line to see the other tooltip.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 07:34:16 pm »

Okay.
Point being - it would be more informative, IMO, to put that instruction in the permanent italics writing/instructions at the top.

Enough said on this subject. Moving on. Thanks for considering.
Pages: [1]   Go Up