INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing now order, list position history and other questions  (Read 2377 times)

t42

• Recent member
Playing now order, list position history and other questions
« on: December 21, 2016, 06:16:20 am »

I originally bought JRiver for my home HTPC, but I have also started using it for listening to music at work. I have some questions relating to pure audio playback from within Standard View (V22.0.52)...

1. Playing an artist with multiple albums (either by hovering over the artist thumbnail and selecting Play or right-clicking the thumbnail and selecting Add to Playing Now) adds the albums to the playlist in the order:
Album 1 Track 1
Album 2 Track 1
Album 3 Track 1
Album 1 Track 2
Album 2 Track 2
Album 3 Track 2
Album 1 Track 3
Album 2 Track 3
Album 3 Track 3 etc.
I expected Album 1 Tracks 1-N, Album 2 Tracks 1-N, Album 3 Tracks 1-N etc.. Is this a bug, standard behaviour or an option somewhere I can change?

2. My typical workflow is browsing Artists, adding a few tracks (or whole albums) to Playing Now, going to Playing Now to see what I have so far, then back to Artists to add some more tracks. However, neither the Artists or Playing Now views remember where I'd scrolled to last time I was there, so I have to scroll back through to find my place again each time I switch views. Can this be changed? Is there a different workflow or view I should be adopting?

3. I have a problem tagging/displaying one particular track. I have the 'Tears Roll Down (Greatest Hits 82-92)' album by Tears For Fears. Track 9, 'Laid So Low (Tears Roll Down)' appears in the Artist thumbnail view under 'Tears Roll Down (Greatest Hits 82-92)' rather than 'Tears For Fears'. Clicking on the thumbnail lists the track with the correct Artist and Album info. Any ideas what's going on here?
Extra info: It happens to be the only track on the album with parentheses in the track name (although other tracks in my library with parentheses are OK). My files are organised Music folder\Artist\Album\Track# - TrackName

Thanks in advance.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playing now order, list position history and other questions
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 07:29:50 am »

^
Try entering the correct tag values for "Disc #" and "Total Discs" (tip: the default value is "1")
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

t42

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 08:20:37 am »

^
Try entering the correct tag values for "Disc #" and "Total Discs" (tip: the default value is "1")

With regards issue #1, they are separate albums rather than discs within an album set, e.g. Queen Greatest Hits and Greatest Hits II
The Disc # and Total Discs fields were empty (not even a "1"), but populating these with "1" still results in songs being added in track order rather than album order.
Tracks with no track # data get added in album order as expected.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 02:49:45 pm »

1.  Your track sorting, within your Artists view is probably set such that it doesn't sort by album.  Go to your Artists view.  Click on an artist with more than one album, which should open a window down below showing the albums.  Are they in order by album?  I'm guessing no.  To fix that, go to the top of that new window down below and click on the header where it says "artist files" with a down arrow.  You'll get a menu, which includes Group By.  Set Group By to Album.  If that doesn't fix it, maybe post a screen shot and we'll see what we can do.

2.  You would probably enjoy using Tabs.  Tabs are like Tabs in a web browser, where each Tab can have something different in it and you can click back and forth between the Tabs.  To open a new tab go to the top area where it says the name of the view you are in.  Something like Playing Now or Artists.  It will have some arrows to the left and a small box to the right.  Click that box and you'll get a new tab.  Now you can have Artists open in one tab and Playing Now open in a second tab.  You can open more tabs for more persistent views if you'd like.  If you like this, I have a few more tips for you on this front.

3.  Are you saying that Track #9 of that album appears as it's own Album, with just that one track?  ...and the "whole album" is missing that track?  If so, this is probably because the [Album Artist] field is different on this one track, making MC think it is a different album.  To fix this, highlight the song and open the tagging window with Edit > Tag .  Find [Album Artist].  If you can't find it, use the gear menu at the upper left of the tagging window to show all fields.  Once you find [Album Artist], you might simply erase it's value.  Or, go check the value of Album Artist for the other tracks on that album.  The key is for them all to have the same value for Album Artist.  It can be blank, or it can be something meaningful.

Oh, I'm also guessing that if you look at the value of [Artist] for that album, you're going to find that track 9 has a different [Artist] than the rest.  It's probably a collaboration track between Tears For Fears and some outside artist.  (Hint:  I cheated and looked it up.)  :)

Good luck,

Brian.

t42

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 03:34:48 am »

1.  Your track sorting, within your Artists view is probably set such that it doesn't sort by album.  Go to your Artists view.  Click on an artist with more than one album, which should open a window down below showing the albums.  Are they in order by album?  I'm guessing no.  To fix that, go to the top of that new window down below and click on the header where it says "artist files" with a down arrow.  You'll get a menu, which includes Group By.  Set Group By to Album.  If that doesn't fix it, maybe post a screen shot and we'll see what we can do.
Thanks for the reply. The Artist view is fine (already set to group by album). It's the Playing Now list that is sorted incorrectly. Screenshots of Artist view and Playing Now view.

2.  You would probably enjoy using Tabs.  Tabs are like Tabs in a web browser, where each Tab can have something different in it and you can click back and forth between the Tabs.  To open a new tab go to the top area where it says the name of the view you are in.  Something like Playing Now or Artists.  It will have some arrows to the left and a small box to the right.  Click that box and you'll get a new tab.  Now you can have Artists open in one tab and Playing Now open in a second tab.  You can open more tabs for more persistent views if you'd like.  If you like this, I have a few more tips for you on this front.
Thanks for the Tab tip! And Ctrl+Tab even let's me tab between them. Nice. :)
Although still slightly annoying that changing views within a tab forgets my position within each view...

3.  Are you saying that Track #9 of that album appears as it's own Album, with just that one track?  ...and the "whole album" is missing that track?  If so, this is probably because the [Album Artist] field is different on this one track, making MC think it is a different album.  To fix this, highlight the song and open the tagging window with Edit > Tag .  Find [Album Artist].  If you can't find it, use the gear menu at the upper left of the tagging window to show all fields.  Once you find [Album Artist], you might simply erase it's value.  Or, go check the value of Album Artist for the other tracks on that album.  The key is for them all to have the same value for Album Artist.  It can be blank, or it can be something meaningful.

Oh, I'm also guessing that if you look at the value of [Artist] for that album, you're going to find that track 9 has a different [Artist] than the rest.  It's probably a collaboration track between Tears For Fears and some outside artist.  (Hint:  I cheated and looked it up.)  :)

Good luck,

Brian.
Ah, the [Album Artist] was different for some reason. Changing this fixed it. I only had the [Artist] and [Album] tags visible, which are the same for all tracks.
Thanks for your help!

t42

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 04:25:00 am »

Bump. Still having issues with track ordering in Now Playing (issue #1). I'm now running 22.0.54.
#2 is less of an issue now I've been introduced to tabs, but it's still somewhat annoying.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 02:27:42 am »

My library gave the same issue #1 as yours. 

The solution is to set the Files window sorting options in your view.  Click on Audio in the tree to bring up the music browser.  Make sure the files list is showing at the bottom of the window.   Hover over the down triangle top left of the files pane where it shows 'All Files v'.  This opens up a menu where you select 'Sort Inside Groups By' and then use the Custom option to add

album artist (auto)  (a-z)
date (a-z)
album (a-z)
track # (a-z)

Now when you click on any album stack in the browser and click play it will be in correct album/track order.   You can of course set your own custom sorting.

t42

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 03:15:42 am »

Perfect, thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up