INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlist View  (Read 1867 times)

Gowanus68

Playlist View
« on: January 08, 2017, 03:13:13 pm »

I am just getting started with MC, in the trial period testing the waters for a move from iTunes.  I have what is probably a very basic question.  I have imported to MC two of the libraries that I maintain in iTunes, one for certain genres of classical music & one for jazz.  I have created playlists in the classical library that replicate what is in the corresponding iTunes library  & I have dropped a few albums into two of those playlists, which are then displaying in the playlist as a list of "song" titles.  I want to be able to view them as album cover thumbnails with the name of the artist or the composer below, as they are able to appear in the library display window.  I hope this can be done.  Can someone tell me how?  I just spent a couple of hours trying one way and another to figure it out & now I am at a loss.

Bill

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playlist View
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 07:42:17 am »

View > Add View > Add Library View

In the "Add Library View..." window, click "Albums", In the "Name:" field, enter the name of the view, "Location:" field should be set to Audio (most likely).

Before going any further, you may want to make a custom field to group albums better. Press CTRL+O or Tools Option, click Library & Folders > ... Manage Library Fields ... You need to figure out how you want to group your albums. Some options

Year: Album by Album Artist
Year: Album Artist - Album
Album Artist - Album
Album Artist - Album (Year)

In the new window, Click "Add New Field" Button, name your new field. Click the Calculate data button and fill in with an expression (if you need help, just ask) to group your albums.

Year: Album by Album Artist
Code: [Select]
[Year]: [Album] by [Album Artist]
Year: Album Artist - Album
[Year]: [Album Artist] - [Album]
Album Artist - Album
[Album Artist] - [Album]
Album Artist - Album (Year)
[Album Artist] - [Album] /([Year]/)
Press OK button Twice to exit Options.

Your new view will be created and should be in focus on the navigation tree on the left. Right-click on the view and pick "Customize View..." In the "Show Categories In This Order:" area, click on the "Album" name and click "Edit". Change it to the custom field you created and press OK to close the window. You may or may not want to uncheck the "Support tree browsing" on the right side of the "Customize View" window. Click
"... Set rules for file display". In the new window, right under "Rules" should be an empty drop down list, pick "Playlists" and pick the playlist you want this view to contain. Press OK twice to exit. This should do what you want.

I read that you have playlist containing certain genres. Instead of the "Playlists" in the above example, you can also select "Genre" and pick the genres you want in this view.

Hope this helps :)

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playlist View
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 07:55:52 am »

You can also customize the text that appears on the albums, Hover mouse over the TAB name (your view name with a downward pointed arrow and a close tab button). In the drop-down menu click, Thumbnails > Thumbnail Text. In the new window you can enter the fields/expressions you want to display.

Example: to have the following displayed
Album Artist
Album
Year
Rating (Average, displayed as stars)
Duration (total) • number of songs in the album
Last Played
Numbers Played

You would type

[Album Artist]
[Album]
[Year]
Mid(★★★★★,0,[Rating])
RemoveRight([Duration],6) • [Track #] Songs
If(IsEqual([Number Plays],0,2),Never Played,Last Played: FormatDate([Last Played,0],ElapsedAgo,))
If(IsEqual([Number Plays],0,2),,Played [Number Plays] times)
Pages: [1]   Go Up