INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NUC5CPYH as windows player/server  (Read 2081 times)

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck
NUC5CPYH as windows player/server
« on: December 08, 2016, 03:58:31 pm »

I really like the idea of the Id in terms of its footprint and energy consumption, but for a variety of reasons I'd want to run Windows not Linux.  Are there any problems with my purchasing the NUC5CPYH, installing Windows, and running MC on it as a standard PC?

Thanks

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: NUC5CPYH as windows player/server
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 04:00:58 pm »

Should be just fine. For audio it should be up to the ask at all times, maybe with an exception for multi-channel DSD content. If you want to reliably run all sorts of videos through it, it might be advisable to step one tier up in NUCs and grab one with a bit more "oomph".
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 12:47:07 am »

The one you are looking at is next generation from the Celeron NUC (The Bay Trail-equipped DN2820FYKH) that I reviewed here if that helps.  After almost 3 years it is still going strong (for what it is).

FYI - I just received a NUC6i5SYK and it looks pretty good.  Only had time to throw Windows 10 and MC on it (got about 3,200 on the MC Benchmark).  It could handle ROHQ on the default settings.  I'll plan to do a write up when I get a couple of hours to play with it some more.

JRiver CEO Elect

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 02:17:07 pm »

Thanks.  I'm thinking I might go with the NUC5PGYH.  It looks a bit more capable.

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 03:33:25 pm »

Well I asked for it for Christmas, and I got it.  I put in 8GB memory and the 2T HDD and it's been running flawlessly.  Really pleased with it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up