INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cant play a 24 bit perfect file  (Read 1490 times)

apocalapsi

Cant play a 24 bit perfect file
« on: January 15, 2017, 11:58:01 pm »

Hi I recently acquired a Ps Audio mk2  DAC that I will eventually upgrade to DSD. I just want to make sure I’m setup correctly to get the most out of this wonderful DAC.

I am using the latest JRiver and I can get most of my various music files to play with no problem. However I have one 24bit 176.4 KHz file that wont play. I was using ASIO, then I tried WASAPI as a driver to no avail. I then switched to Direct Sound and then it worked.

I was under the impression that ASIO is  best followed by WASAPI and that direct stream is inferior.  I figured Id try it for now and then I downloaded a BIT perfect test  meant for the Directstream that is 24 /192 flac and it wont play with any driver. I keep searching on JRiver and on the PS manuals but I can't see if I have set up something wrong. Which is the best driver to use with this my setup with WIN10?

Bebop0502

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Cant play a 24 bit perfect file
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 11:04:07 am »

I should say that ASIO and WASAPI  are equal from a  sound point of view. If there are sound differences they are very small if any.

When using WASAPI it is important that you tick the box "Open device for exclusive access" which means that take the shortcut to your DAC not using the sound card of the PC. This is also the way ASIO is working.  You can read more about this on this link: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WASAPI

Please note that it is not always free of choice between ASIO and WASAPI. In my case to take an example, I use an Aesthetix DAC and they support WASAPI. When I connect the DAC and the laptop, Aesthetix is uploading WASAPI. In my previous DAC it had ASIO. If this is not clear with PS Audio, please contact them. Normally their interface should be uploaded and be visable in "Audio Device" like you see in the link below.

Another important set up you have to do you find in the following link: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup  There you find info on how to set up Windows and Audio set up in JRiver.

Pages: [1]   Go Up