INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The accumulation of (many) .jmd files in my music library folder?  (Read 3211 times)

Theleb_Kaarna

• Recent member

Greetings!

Have JRiver 22.0.54 installed on my C-drive. I rip all CDs via dBpoweramp into my "Music Library" folder exclusively, located on my F-drive. No other clients, one PC, only one music library, lean-and-simple.

I've been having 10's of ".jmd ........" files of various descript accumulating in my Music Library folder. They seem to be associated with JRiver, library, tag settings or whatnot.

So...

1. Can they be safely deleted, or will doing so obliterate my options, library settings, etc? I'm assuming "No" and that they'll auto-regenerate anyways.

2. If they must be preserved, can they somehow be redirected into a subfolder within my Music Library folder? Maybe a different location altogether? Maybe within a folder within JRiver on my C-drive? Things are just getting a bit untidy...

Thoughts? Mucho appreciato in advance=)
Phanteks Enthoo Elite | ASUS Maximus IX Formula ROG | i7 7700K [Delidded] @5.1GHz | Cryorig R1 Universal
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB @3600MHz | MSI 1080ti Lightning Z | Plextor M8Pe(Y) 512GB | Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB (x2) | Western Digital "Black" 4TB | Corsair AX1200i [1200 Watt] | Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies | Sennheiser HD 650 | iFi Micro iUSB 3.0 | DH Labs Silver Sonic | C3 Audio Audiophile

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: The accumulation of (many) .jmd files in my music library folder?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 01:47:15 pm »

.jmd files are library files.

You can customize the location of your library in Playing Now > Playing from [Library name] in the tree.

You might make a backup of your current library, create a new library in a folder you're comfortable with, then restore the backup.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Theleb_Kaarna

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 02:07:14 pm »

Not sure I'm understanding what you're saying... I did create a 'custom' library folder initially (entitled "Music Library" on my F-drive) when I first set-up JRiver. I've never used the default C-drive one.
Phanteks Enthoo Elite | ASUS Maximus IX Formula ROG | i7 7700K [Delidded] @5.1GHz | Cryorig R1 Universal
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB @3600MHz | MSI 1080ti Lightning Z | Plextor M8Pe(Y) 512GB | Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB (x2) | Western Digital "Black" 4TB | Corsair AX1200i [1200 Watt] | Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies | Sennheiser HD 650 | iFi Micro iUSB 3.0 | DH Labs Silver Sonic | C3 Audio Audiophile

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 04:25:52 pm »

The Library folder is where MC stores the metadata of your library, it containing .jmd files is absolutely expected. You are not requried (or supposed to, really) to put it in the same directory as your music files.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 03:02:01 pm »

Read (at least the introduction):
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Theleb_Kaarna

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 03:49:22 pm »

Appreciate all the responses.
And thanks for the link. I know I'd read that before, guess it just didn't sink-in.

Anyways, guess my best option will be to create a subfolder called "FLAC Music Files" (where I'll store my ripped music files) within my "Music Library" folder. At least then the .jmd files won't be directly sharing the same folder as my music files.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 05:54:03 pm »

I recommend having your Media files (songs) in one directory tree.  Then have the Library files (JMD internally used database files) in a TOTALLY DIFFERENT tree.  Something like C:\(my user directory)\JRiver\Libraries\Main Library for the library files.  Then something like C:\(my user directory)\Music\ for your media files.

Just my opinion.

Brian.

Theleb_Kaarna

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 08:59:31 pm »

^^ See, now that sounds more ideal to me: having music files in one folder (on F-drive in my case), and library files (.jmd) in another separate folder (on C-drive). Not one folder inside the other.

But I can't seem to make this happen. I have two libraries: The default "Main Library" (on C-drive), and the one I created for my music called "Music Library" (on F-drive). And I cannot figure out how to 'tell' Library Files (.jmd) to only write to the default "Main Library" folder (C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center\Library), and not to my "Music Library" Folder on my F-drive (F:\Music Library). I've tried:

1st: Switching to (loading) the Main Library (C-drive).
2nd: Removing all the .jmd files from the F-drive Music Library folder.
3rd: Launching JRiver (to presumably get the .jmd files to appear in the newly loaded Main Library folder (C-drive).
4th: Verify they have appeared in said folder (they have).
5th: Verified they have not reappeared in the F-drive Music Library folder (at this point they haven't).

Since you can only have one library loaded at a time, I load back my F-drive Music Library, and as soon as I do, all the .jmd files reappear back in the F-drive Music Library folder. At this point, the .jmd files are in both C-drive and F-drive locations simultaneously (like 48-or-so files each).

So no matter what I seem to do, whenever I load a new library, the files manifest in that library's folder.

What am I missing here and/or doing wrong? How can accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish here?

THANKS!
Pages: [1]   Go Up