INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC and converting library to a new computer  (Read 745 times)

Iplod along

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
MC and converting library to a new computer
« on: July 20, 2003, 12:24:04 pm »

I am about to replace my existing computer for a faster, more speedier and increased hard dick capacity.

Can anyone tell me whether it is best to copy my MC files to external media and then reinstall,  or to simply download the program from the internet using my existing license key?

Further, without having to back up my library, is it recommended to restore my library by merely uploading directly from my Ipod.

Finally, does any one using DVD media to store their library instead of the hard drive.

Thanks in advance.

IPlodalong :o :o

nila

Re: MC and converting library to a new computer
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 05:56:47 am »

I'd say just do this:

Use the library backup feature (file/Library/Backup Library)

Get your new computer, add the hard drive and copy all your files from that old hard drive to your new one (or you could even just leave them on the old hard drive and just use that for your music)

Then install the latest build of MC and get your license restored.

Restore your old library (files/library/restore)

just do a find and replace to update all your songs from their old location to their new one
(ie. FIND : C:\my Music\  REPLACE:  D:\Music\ or whatever you had and plan to change to as your root for all your music - and just check the box for: filename)

Your library should then be fully updated presuming u had all your music under one root directory and keep the same structing on the new drive (just copy the whole dir accross)

Iplod along

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re: MC and converting library to a new computer
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 10:13:23 pm »

Thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up