INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DTS-HD MA files only play the core?  (Read 1539 times)

Arcadian

• Junior Woodchuck
DTS-HD MA files only play the core?
« on: January 22, 2017, 05:48:22 pm »

When I check the audio path on playback of DTS-HD MA files I've demuxed from blu-ray audio discs it reports '96khz 24bit 6ch from source format DTS'. Yet when I mount the source ISO and play that it reports the audio as dts-hd ma. The bitrate column for the individual files also say 1536 which is consistent with the core. The files are very large, definitely not just DTS.

Am I missing something or is this by design? JRiver will only decode the core when working with these files? I tried another approach by extracting the whole album to an mkv and this correctly reports all the high res audio formats on playback but when I split the mkv into individual mka tracks the audio path just reports it as '96khz 24bit 6ch from source format mka'. Is there any way I can know it's playing the full lossless version? One thing I was considering, does the DTS core max out at 48Khz meaning if I see 96 I know it's legit? I'm unsure about this as I know there are lossy non HD DTS recordings which are also 96/24.

craigmcg

• World Citizen
Re: DTS-HD MA files only play the core?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 05:51:41 pm »

When playing the movie, right click on the screen and select Player then Audio Path. This will show you whether or not the full HD -MA is being played. The other display you saw only shows the core.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DTS-HD MA files only play the core?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 06:05:15 pm »

If the audio is DTS-HD MA, it'll also play that. There is no way to even disable that, unless you are bitstreaming to a device which doesn't do DTS-HD.

For the record, DTS core doesn't do 96kHz/24-bit, so it has to use DTS-HD MA to be able to produce that (the lossy DTS extension called 96/24 doesn't actually produce 24-bit audio).
The bitrate is often just taken from the DTS core, because the HD parts don't have a constant fixed bitrate to read.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up