INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phono to JRiver  (Read 2483 times)

mz1012

• Recent member
Phono to JRiver
« on: January 14, 2017, 03:14:01 pm »

Hi folks,
sorry for my poor English. May I have a question? May be it has already been discussed, I saw a posting regardings this topic, but I did not understand them.

I had my DUAL CS 704 Phono repaired this week, have gotten a new, GRADO pick-up head with needle, and bought a Muscical Fidelity Pre-Amplifier V-LPS, which produces much better sound than my built-in Pre-amplifier in my Marantz amplifier. I connected the Marantz with my pc (Windows 10, JRiver 22), with a Y 2-cinch at the Marantz, and a 3,5mm at the pc.

Is it possible to record my phono tapes with JRiver Media? Thank you very much for your assistance.

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Phono to JRiver
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 06:36:16 pm »

I'll help you with this later tonight when I get home.
I'll create some screenshots and better videos for you and link to all the tools needed.
There are easier ways to do it though. So unless you specifically want to use JRiver I'd look at Vinyl Studio as your first option to record and then use the free Click Repair tool. They are much easier to use and automate a lot of things, including tagging and cutting of files.

More on that later. ;)

mz1012

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 02:45:28 am »

Hi Hilton, I am not fixed on JR to record, I am quite at the very beginning of this topic. My main thing is to play them with JRiver and to file them in my archive. Last night I had my first try with Vinyl Studio (test download), and I could rip my first record to flac. Cutting into tracks did not work yet, no repairing and so on, it was just a very first attempt. But it was a great feeling of success: I managed the basics.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 06:21:37 am »

MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 08:42:21 am »

Vinyl Studio is a great option. If you have not done so yet, watch their tutorial. It takes you through the process step by step. Once you have done it s a few times, it is quite easy. Great tool at a great price.

mz1012

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 09:36:54 am »

thank you, astromo, great link! and thank you, dtc. I am very curious to manage this task.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 12:39:49 pm »

thank you, astromo, great link! and thank you, dtc. I am very curious to manage this task.

Yep great post indeed.

Been using an ADL GT40a for A/D conversion along with Audacity and ASIO. It's free and reliable and you can get rid of clicks natively by using "Repair" under Effects.  This can be really time consuming as it applies on very short samples but you have complete control on what is happening...And it's free!
(BTW I don't use the ADL phono preamp and use an external one.)

There's good tutorials in the help files of Audacity

There is a also a guide on Compiling the latest version of Audacity for ASIO as you can't download for legal reasons and a bit of a pain to compile but...IMHO it's worth it..

And once you get the hang of it, splitting and labeling tracks, exporting into FLAC or ALAC can all be done in Audacity (search for: splitting_a_recording_into_separate_tracks)

- In a nutshell I:
1. Record all the LP in one file (Need one big file to ensure you keep the same volume level for Step. #3)
2. Delete extra silence with some fade-in outs to clean out noise between tracks
3. (Sometimes I need to adjust the attenuation level on the ADC to avoid clipping: 0, 6 or 12 dB)
4. Repair Clicks (only big ones. I don't mind a few snap, crackle and pops :))
5. Normalise to maximise Dynamic Range without clipping
6. Split and label tracks
7. Export to ALAC
8. Run dBpoweramp for itunnorm
9. Import in MC
10. In MC I clean up tags, add cover art and run the audio analysis
Voila! This is fun!

I personally record in 44.1 KHz 16 bit. I don't see the point in going any higher as if I want high quality, I'll just listen to the vinyl anyway! (Or buy the Pro studio master equivalent :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up