INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi channel convolution fed by WDM digital ?  (Read 3154 times)

mcw

• Recent member
Multi channel convolution fed by WDM digital ?
« on: January 29, 2017, 08:12:59 pm »

With help on the Id forum, I recently got a classic Id performing 8 channel convoltion.
I'm using the convolution for stereo 4-way speaker management.
I also need to be able to run external media through the Id, and am of the belief that isn't doable ....?
So today, I set the convolution up on a win7 box, and tried to see if I could flow external content through WDM.
Hooray, it worked after just a little fiddling with buffers !,  ... and using the same sound card for analog stereo input, and the 8 channel convolved output !!
Nice, jriver !

Ok, my question finally....can WDM also accept digital input, and then pull off convolution?

The sound card that worked today for analog in (umc1820) has spdif input, but it is fixed  to channels 9&10 and can't route to channels 1&2.
I would like to know if WDM digital input is a possibility before searching for a new spdif input sound card solution.

Many Thanks, mark

Oh, and what does channel offset do in WDM asio setup ?

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Multi channel convolution fed by WDM digital ?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 09:01:29 pm »

You could try just setting your input device as default recording device in windows audio control panel and use JRiver live loopback mode. You should be able to capture any external source this way. (not infront of my machine to check but I think that's how I'm doing room calibration with an external USB digital capture device which is then routing through JRiver Loopback for playback through another soundcard assigned in JRiver output audio device.)

Channel Offset moves the channel around - different cards can have different offsets.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 02:29:27 am »

Ok, my question finally....can WDM also accept digital input, and then pull off convolution?

The sound card that worked today for analog in (umc1820) has spdif input, but it is fixed  to channels 9&10 and can't route to channels 1&2.
I would like to know if WDM digital input is a possibility before searching for a new spdif input sound card solution.

yes it can. For example to measure through jriver I typically output to channels 17 and 18 on my audio device, setup my mixer to send those onto input channels 17 and 18 then open 2 channels with offset 16 (the offset is a 0 based index) to get those channels into jriver (as input channels 1 and 2).

mcw

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 12:13:22 pm »

Thx guys, 
I haven't had any luck accessing the umc1820's spdif inputs, whether using live loopback, or asio line-in with offset setting 8 (spdif in is 9-10).

The loopback setting works fine for any sound generated by the PC, like youtube, etc.

And the asio line-in looks like it wants to work. Meters show about 1 sec of output, when asio line-in is configured and clicked OK. This 1 sec output stays the same with or without convolution, and the same with dspStudio set to either 2 channel or 10 channel output.

I see there are three buffer settings in play. 
Output buffer in MC under Audio Device->...Device settings. 
Input buffer under Audio Device->Advanced->Live playback. 
And then the UMC1820's Driver Control Panel.

For the MC buffers, should one always be longer than the other? Should both be on the longish side?

The UMC control has a range of latency settings from 'minimum' to 'extra safe', and buffer size settings ranging from 64 to 8192 samples.

I've tried many combinations of the three buffers with no success bettering 1 sec of output ....any guidance appreciated.

Now the good news ! 
Giving up on routing the umc's spdif as live-input, I tried a miniDSP ministreamer https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/ministreamer
It works with the live-in loopback setting, and windows recording set to the ministreamer. YEA!

I should say it works once I change the Windows playback default from JR MC to something not in use, like Realtec digital output.  PC apps like youtube still need playback set to JR MC.
Does all this sound correct? Are there windows settings that allow both the minstreamer and windows apps to work without  changing the playback default?

Continued thanks!  Mark

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 02:06:44 pm »

the simplest approach to buffers is max everything, if stable then slowly reduce until system not stable then bump them back up a notch or two. This is strictly trial and error though.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 02:51:49 pm »

the simplest approach to buffers is max everything, if stable then slowly reduce until system not stable then bump them back up a notch or two. This is strictly trial and error though.
I start the opposite and minimize everything.  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up