INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with new tag window  (Read 1562 times)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
Problems with new tag window
« on: January 26, 2017, 11:12:57 am »

In new Tag Window mode, I'm not seeing any tags. Switching back to old mode, they are shown.

The Customize dialog Fields list shows all the tags of the view, but the Tag Window remains blank. Doing customizing doesn't change this (add, remove, move does nothing to the blank result). I tried different Templates that MC automatically presents, none of them seem to work, not even Default.

If I select Customize > All Visible Fields, that's what I see. But that is not further customizable, it essentially recreates the tags list of the old mode. Truly Customizing is not working for me.

Opening, closing Tag Window doesn't help. Switching between old and new mode doesn't help. Restarting MC doesn't help. This problem appeared on .59 but moving up to .65 doesn't help.

What am I misunderstanding?

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Problems with new tag window
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 11:16:33 am »

The Customize dialog Fields list shows all the tags of the view, but the Tag Window remains blank. Doing customizing doesn't change this (add, remove, move does nothing to the blank result). I tried different Templates that MC automatically presents, none of them seem to work, not even Default.

I just edit the view and put "Visible Fields" at the top and it lists the visible fields beautifully (I'm in details mode in the list).

Not sure what might be happening.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MusicHawk

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 11:35:21 am »

Matt, you're right, putting Visible Fields at the top does show all the Visible Fields. But that is simply a showing of the fields/columns of the view, same as the old Tag Windows, so I don't see a benefit, unless the resulting list of Visible Fields can be further edited (add/remove/move). I sort-of see a way, if Visible Fields is dragged to the top of the Fields, I can then remove or reorder fields below it. But if Visible Fields is not explicitly added, or it is at the bottom where it goes when first added, diddling with the other fields seems to do nothing. Also, it's not obvious that adding Visible Fields is necessary or useful, since then I first open Customize, it is already listing all the visible fields of the view...right?

To use the true Customize feature -- select individual desired fields in desired order to see and edit -- seems to result in a blank Tag Window. I can't find a way to see any individual Fields that are directly Added, but doing this seems to be the only reason to use the new Tag Window mode.

If my confusion makes any sense (oxymoron), can you explain the intended uses and outcome of the new mode, and steps to achieve it? I assume whatever is in the left-side Fields list is what I'll see in the Tag Window, controllable per-template, but it's not happening for me.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 11:40:46 am »

Matt, you're right, putting Visible Fields at the top does show all the Visible Fields. But that is simply a showing of the fields/columns of the view, same as the old Tag Windows, so I don't see a benefit, unless the resulting list of Visible Fields can be further edited (add/remove/move)...is this possible?

To use the true Customize feature -- select desired fields in desired order to see and edit -- seems to result in a blank Tag Window. I can't find a way to see any individual Fields that are directly Added, but doing this seems to be the only reason to use the new Tag Window mode.

Can you explain the intended uses and outcome of the new mode, and steps to achieve it? I assume whatever is in the left-side Fields list is what I'll see in the Tag Window, controllable per-template, but it's not happening for me.

I think if you add the fields outside of a group, they won't show up.

So add a group, then add the fields below the group.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MusicHawk

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 11:46:05 am »

Yep, adding a Group at the top of the existing list of Fields caused them to show in Tag Window. Thanks.

But of course, this should be automatic for the Tag templates MC creates (on first use of new Tag Window?). Because until I knew to do this, the Tag Window was blank even with two dozen tags selelcted in the Fields list.

MusicHawk

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 11:56:37 am »

Now that I can use the new Tag Window, I see the old window-too-small problem still exists. If a list-type field has an existing long list, it doesn't fit in the displayed tag window, AND I can't scroll it properly because the scroll control area (and entire tag window) disappears behind and below the bottom of the Tag Window, and even seems to run beyond MC's Window, and even behind Window's Task Bar. Since the bottom arrow of the vertical scroller is also off-screen, I can't use it to rapidly move down the list.

Scrolling the list with mouse pointer I run right off my physical monitor, there's nothing to drag on. Scrolling with mouse wheel, I got to the bottom of the list but then MC crashed.

Also, note that it is necessary to scroll to the bottom to get to the Add field, which in my case is a lot of scrolling (hundreds of items in the List field). I loved earlier versions of MC where the Add field was at the top, actually showing the full field content in a text box for quick direct editing. This was very useful to fix a tag typo, add a tag, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up