INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO or bug  (Read 1188 times)

TimB

• Citizen of the Universe
ASIO or bug
« on: July 19, 2003, 08:04:29 am »

I'm new to the ASIO world and I've done a search but found nothing on these issues.

I'm using an m-audio 2496 card. and build 218,

No volume control slider in 9.1

No fade out (I have STOP selected to fadeout, the track keeps on playing for maybe a second after I press the STOP button and then it just stops.)

I know ASIO is different in some ways and I guess I'm checking into whether these are bugs or just the way ASIO works. :)

Thanks!

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

digital:rogue

• Recent member
  • insert generic tagline here.
Re: ASIO or bug
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2003, 11:59:41 am »

ASIO is merely a low-latency connection that is capable of superior sound with higher bitrate and sample rates compared to wave-out, but is limited to 48Khz (on Audigy2 at least). S/PDIF will go the full 24/96.

In a nutshell, ASIO shouldn't have any effect on your cross-fading. I am using ASIO output on my Audigy2 and have no problems with crossfading on v9.0.180. If you are having issues, it could be the MC build or perhaps driver issues, but I am not familiar with your card. Someone around here who has one could prob provide more information.
.-=digital.rogue=-.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Marko

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2003, 12:42:48 pm »

TimB, I use an audigy player card, and I do have a volume slider and "Stop - fadeout" works fine.

digitalRogue, I wonder if you would mind checking something for me seeing as you also have an audigy card. Read all the following b4 hitting the link though....

With ASIO enabled, trying to play either  THIS or THIS media stream causes a horrible crash, where MC makes a swift and silent exit leaving the sound in the buffer repeating over and over, and the only way i've found to stop this is to reboot.

I don't use ASIO anymore as I keep forgetting about this, and it's a pain when it happens.

-marko

dragyn

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2003, 04:29:17 pm »

Tim.. I have the audiophile 24/96 card in my carpc and it works pretty good with ASIO. I'm also using 9.1

I don't have a volume slider either but I never had one in the first place using ASIO or not. This is by design because I can't change the volume on the card.

Fade out, cross fade works when using the default sample rate but mine is set at 96 so it just stops immediately.

digital:rogue

• Recent member
  • insert generic tagline here.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2003, 09:26:40 pm »

digitalRogue, I wonder if you would mind checking something for me seeing as you also have an audigy card. Read all the following b4 hitting the link though....

Hmm, the first plays fine and the second wants to default to WMP, so no idea (I can play with it more later, getting ready to settle in with a movie right now). However, I DID have a similar problem the other day before I rebuilt my system. I was playing MIDI files from a website through MC and I later noticed I had two instances of mediacenter.exe running. After killing the rogue process, I noticed at some time later that the MIDI files were playing softly in the background, in a continuous loop. I could adjust the volume of the MIDI in control panel, so it was a responsive process, but nothing I did would stop it, including running another MIDI file, for it would simply layer on top of the rogue music. A reboot solved the problem, obviously, but I thought it was an isolated incident. Perhaps not?

I am not sure which version of MC I was running at the time, but it was either 9.0.180 or 9.1.217. Earlier today I installed 9.1.218 on my fresh OS build, so that is my current version.

.-=digital.rogue=-.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Veazer

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 04:09:33 am »

I have a related problem with the fadeout. My laptop uses a SigmaTel soundcard and the laptop has a separate line-out AND headphone out. The volume control for the line-out is completely independant of the master volume control which is apparently used for fadeout. If I select a 5 second fadeout, the song will just play for 5 more seconds at full volume after I press stop.

Perhaps you are encountering a similar problem. It would be nice if the volume control used the waveout controls or, better yet, if it was done internally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up