INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to use MC client as DLNA controller  (Read 1971 times)

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Unable to use MC client as DLNA controller
« on: January 29, 2017, 11:05:05 am »

Hi, I have a MC22 client-server setup.
All my files are on a Windows 10 machine with MC 22 that I use solely as a server.
I have a couple of clients one a HTPC and the other a laptop both running MC22 and Windows 10.
In general everything works well except controlling a DLNA renderer from my client laptop.
I have several devices in the home that I can push audio or video to using DLNA, these include a LG OLED TV, Pioneer LX77 amp, Panasonic Plasma TV, Oppo Bluray player, a Sony streaming device etc.
If I remote into the MC server I can push audio/video to any of my DLNA devices without problem.
If I load the local library on my laptop i.e. NOT connected as a client of the server I can push audio/video to any DLNA device without problems.
BUT if I load the library from the server on my laptop and try to push audio/video to a DLNA renderer it always fails with the message "There was a problem controlling the selected DLNA device. Double check your device, server and network settings"
If I push audio/video to MC on my HTPC from the server using my laptop as a controller it works.
If it use JRemote or BubbleUPnP as a controller I can push audio/video from my MC server to any DLNA renderer.

So the only thing that is failing for me is being able to use my laptop as a controller to play audio/video from my server to a DLNA device.
Under Options>Media Network>Advanced> I have DLNA Server, DLNA Renderer and DLNA Controller all ticked on all my MC instances.

Anyone offer any suggestions for what I maybe doing wrong?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Unable to use MC client as DLNA controller
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 04:43:36 pm »

If the server can see the DLNA renderers (the TV and others), then you can use the client to play to those Renderers *from* the server.  On the client, when you click on the left navigation area you should see entries for the Renderers that the Server can see.  They will be labeled something like "Samsung TV (there)".  The "(there)" part tells you that this is a Renderer being controlled by the Server.

I think you can simply direct playback to one of the (there) devices and it should play from the server to that device.  I think.

Brian.

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Unable to use MC client as DLNA controller
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 02:29:24 pm »

Thanks for your response it has provided me with some very useful information that I was not aware of.
Previously when running MC on my laptop as a client the renderers I was seeing did not have the "There: " in front of the names and they would always fail.
But after switching back and forth loading the Main library and the Server library I did notice I could eventually make my MC client swap the plain renderer names for the ones with "There: " in front of them at which point they worked.
So I appear to be having an issue with my setup where when using my server library MC will not always show me the correct set of renderers for use with that library, but unloading and reloading the library and sometimes restarting the server I can make it work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up