INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VERY Strange Volume Slider and Volume Behavior  (Read 2105 times)

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
  • Reaper of Righteous Riffs
VERY Strange Volume Slider and Volume Behavior
« on: February 02, 2017, 08:25:04 pm »

When I click the volume slider button and drag to the right, the movement is not smooth and its not liner... it "feels" like i'm dragging it across sandpaper as the cursor moves in small fits and starts and seems to take as much as 3 or 4 times the mouse travel as it should to make the curser/slider move right.

When dragging the volume slider left, everything is normal!!

Also, when clicking on the slider bar on the right side of the ball to make the slider jump up to that position, what happens instead is my cursor jumps back to be on top of the slider ball. However, when I click on the left side to jump to a lower volume, the ball jumps to where I clicked as expected.

I'm on Windows 10 on various machines (Dell, Lenovo, HP), with MC 20, 21, and 22 and using both system and internal volume, output to various devices using WASAPI and DirectSound... the problem seems to occur everywhere. Easy to point the finger at some random effect of a recent Win 10 update, but man, that's weird.

Also, related to volume... Let's say that my volume is at 80%. If I stop (not tested with pause... only stop) playback, then hit play to start it again, the volume will drop instantly to about 20%.

Anyone else see any of this?

Cheers,
Jeff

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: VERY Strange Volume Slider and Volume Behavior
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 11:13:05 pm »

What you are describing is the correct functioning of the "Volume Protection" option.  It makes it hard to increase the volume suddenly by slowing down volume increases to 5% every second or two (but doesn't slow down decreases), and automatically resets the volume to a set threshold after an idle time.  It behaves exactly as you described.

If you don't like it, you can disable it under options --> Audio --> Volume protection.  I don't think it is enabled by default (or at least it didn't used to be).

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
  • Reaper of Righteous Riffs
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 09:21:49 am »

Thank you SO much for explaining this. It was driving me crazy. I vaguely remember turning this on, not knowing exactly what it was but thinking, "yes, I want protection". LOL.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 11:31:37 am »

Thank you SO much for explaining this. It was driving me crazy. I vaguely remember turning this on, not knowing exactly what it was but thinking, "yes, I want protection". LOL.

It's actually a really great feature if your system plays very loud. There are a lot of ways to fat finger (or sit on the remote) and wind up with 100% volume in no time at all (or get blown out of your chair because the last person was listening super loud).  It's saved my a butt a few times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up