INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Annoying 'Playing Now' feature of 9.0 & 9.1.  (Read 13090 times)

Omni

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Annoying 'Playing Now' feature of 9.0 &amp
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2003, 04:11:40 pm »

A typical example is at a party when friends each add what they want to the playing now list - then some  **** head comes along and does a search for Metallica (to quote a post from Doof) and the party suddenly realises that we are listening to all Metallica tracks, everyone else's requests got lost and the Metallica fan gets beaten up.  Ok so he got what he deserved for bad taste in music but the other party goers didn't get what they deserved!

Okay, I said it once, and I'll say it again.  I like their music!  Knock it off!

;D :D :) :D ;D

Just kidding.

Hey, I'll muddy the waters even more and make a Call to Arms for allowing the user to "change his or her mind" with the use of the ESC key.  Yeah, that would be a nice feature.   No more wiping out of a perfect good, unsaved smartlist filter.  That's even more annoying to me than the enter key thing.

Omni

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2003, 08:00:04 pm »

I'm still wondering what this means:

Hi Matt!
/me gives a knowing grin

jleerigby

Re: Annoying 'Playing Now' feature of 9.0 & 9.
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2003, 09:56:06 pm »

This thread scares me.

Are they that fickle with other stuff?  "Oh my god -- you're wearing green socks!  Get out of my house now!"

Like my comment to Jim earlier, you seem to underestimate just how annoying this feature is to many people and show a lack of empathy with regards to the impact it has on people.  I wouldn't go as far as saying I'll not use MC again 'cos I love it.  It's just strange that it has such an illogical feature (as explained perfectly by phelt) that few appreciate and many really hate.

At the moment it's a great piece of software for parties and fun for use by all the family, but the search bar behaviour is spoiling this as lise put so nicely.  There's been lots of suggestions here that look at both sides of the argument and suggest a compromise that would satisfy both sides.  I really hopefully you will investigate and implement one of these.

Wile E. One

• World Citizen
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2003, 11:45:22 pm »

It may not make a difference... but I too will add my vote to changing the current behavior of the Enter key in a search to act like that of other search bars. It is extremely frustrating to wipe out my playlist because, like many others here, I spend time making it... often one song at a time. The funny thing is that often when I search for something... I don't even want to play it. I just want to see it, edit properties, or something else of a similar nature.
Now isn't this just typical of whereever this is?

V-Man

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2003, 12:23:32 am »

Here's my suggested solution. If J River still thinks the existing way is best, that's fine by me as it ain't a problem or something I use much.

1. Disable 'Enter', to avoid any mistakes.

2. Define a shortcut key that works from Media Library as follows:
* If ONE OR MORE files are selected, replace Playing Now with those files and start playback.
* If NO files are selected, replace Playing Now with ALL files in the current list and start playback.

This would help those that find the current Enter behaviour annoying. And for those people that like it, they would simply need to get used to pressing another key instead of Enter. My choice would be Shift+Enter.

Obviously this feature would not only be active during a Search operation but at all times whilst in Media Library, so it would be useful just generally.

nila

My Defense
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2003, 01:17:35 am »

Woah,

Thats a BIG list Doof. I'm touched u kept a list :)

Some of those features I admit I alone requested, a lot of them though you'll see having been requested alot in the forum and I just brought them up from old posts or other places.

Not gonna go into it in detail but just to take a few examples:

• What should Enter do in the Search box <- Started by JLee, now a HUGE thread which I never brought up - something that the guys at MC seem to love, most people on this thread hate - only way to make everyone happy would be an option. (or assigning a key other than enter to autmatically make them start playing - maybe ctrl+enter as someone suggested).
  • What should selecting no files in a node do  <-  This was a BIG thread too if I remember with a lot of people talking about it both ways - it took ages to resolve over a few builds - in the end the warning message we now get when modifing more than 20 files was added - a big improvement. Started after I accidentally destroyed 10,000 tags because MC selected all files when I hadn't selected any and applied the changes to them with no way of cancelling then crashed just before it finished so I couldn't undo the changes.
  • How many sticky menu items in the right click menu  <- MC created this feature, I just asked for the option for it to be moved out of the registry where no one is going to find it, to somewhere slightly more obvious.
  • Which toolbar buttons have text.  <- I was using the reg hack which now no longer works - if I remember correctly u were also complaining about this!
  • Should the file properties box toolbar autohide  <-  This doesn't effect me either way - I just know for a fact beginners I've shown MC to have no idea that these other screens exist and dont particularly ever find them. Seems pointless to make features then hide them.
  • Should MC remember what view filter you had set from session to session. <-- This one never bothered me and I never cared - it was someone else's feature request not mine.
  • Should slideshow be in black and white or in color  <- Never even seen this request on the board at all, let alone me request it.
  • Should Hairstyle display thumbnails or just a list of files <- This one is now in hairstyle and makes it a LOT better.

• One you missed - All playlists are automatically saved to .m3u external playlists when we build them so that they're more solid and dont get lost forever when we do an MC upgrade therefore wasting all our time and energy having built them.

And so on and so on :)

Your giving me too much credit, half those requests were other people's and I just agreed or disagreed, others were never requested by anyone but I get the sneaking suspiscion that you secretly want to request them :) Go on - DO IT  ;D

Hey Matt - I dont have a puppy BUT - I HATE CATS!!!!

stupid things wake me up first thing in the morning (5am) meowing loudly in my bedroom, when I throw it out the stupid thing climbed in the window and started again two hours later.
    It kills birds then leaves their dead bodies lying around the house, tries to eat everything I put on the kitchen counter as I'm trying to cook.

If u get a puppy that hates cats send it my way!!

Marko

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2003, 01:35:10 am »

This thread scares me.

Are they that fickle with other stuff?  "Oh my god -- you're wearing green socks!  Get out of my house now!"

And not to change the subject, but I just got a new puppy.  Gotta love puppies.  Don't suppose anyone else has a dog (or anything else) they could show / talk about now.

Here's ours....

(Click the here for full size image)

His name's Jock. He's about 11yrs old now. He's a jack russell/corgi cross breed we found in a rescue center when he was about 3 years old. He'd had a pretty rough time and was a bit "highly strung" as a result. As you can see though, he's pretty well relaxed now-a-days
:D

As for this whole "Enter" key debate, yes, I have been bitten by this, and yes, it was extremely annoying, but, just like the mp3 encoder d'load from the options dialogue crashing MC, I've learned that that is how it works and adapted the way I use the software. I personally don't mind one way or the other, just so long as I know how it works.

-marko

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2003, 01:40:21 am »

Mmh...I wish I had a French Poodle like this one ;D

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2003, 02:31:03 am »

Knick - I hope there's no chance of you building a FrenchPoodleSkin along the lines of the CowSkin...

Jim

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2003, 04:16:10 am »

Hello,

It is quite possible that the solution to this [enter] argument might already be implemented in some way in MC.

Looking at the different options MC offers, I thought that it might be possible to give the [Enter] key in the search pane the same behaviour as 'play button' as defined in Options/General/Play button where you can choose among between Play (visible) and Play (playing now) which I thought would do the trick.
Until I noticed that this Play Button behaviour seems to be broken (9.1.214) - I'll report it in the bug thread.

Another tought : There is a fetaure called Quick Search (CRTL+Q). I don't now if anybody uses it. The beahaviour is a little different than regular search since you can choose to 'search next' or 'search all' but the main thing is that if you press enter while in (CTRL+Q), MC does not play the files found. It could be possible to exchange the [ENTER] behaviour in the main search box (CTRL+F) and in the quick search box (CRTL+Q).
For example the main search could adopt quick search behaviour and quick search could adopt the play when [enter] pressed behaviour and could be renamed "quick search'n play".

Most of the folks here would be happy, Matt and I could continue searchin+[enter] with ctrl+Q by just swaping to behaviours already implemented in MC.

Ben alors ? qu'est ce qu'ils pensent ?

C.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

LonWar

« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2003, 04:23:31 am »

Mmh...I wish I had a French Poodle like this one ;D

Not sure what's more disturbing, The dog straightening up after ... finishing.

Or the person video taping it    :-/
-

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2003, 06:03:18 am »

Nila> All of those options fell under the following criteria as I compiled them:

1. They weren't just new features. They were simply options. Like : For action A, MC should EITHER do X or Y.

2. They ALL came from posts you made. I did a search on all posts by you that had the word "option" in them. And then I just started reading. I didn't start cross referencing to be sure that you originated the request. If you were asking for it, that was good enough for me. I didn't make any of them up.

I'm not asking you to justify your requests. Some of them are really good. Others are so you-specific that they'd really be of no use to others.

But here's the thing. Some of them have been implemented, but not in such a way that they are now an option. They just are. Others could be implemented, but not as options.

For instance:

Should MC use autocomplete when editting tags.

Would it be enough that MC just does this? Or does it really need to be a user option? You've requested that it be an option. So some users could have it on, and others off. Is that really necessary? Why shouldn't JRiver just pick one or the other and let the users just cope with that decision?

My post was mainly to illustrate the sheer number of options MC would have if everybody got their way. It wasn't meant to criticize your ideas. I actually like a lot of them.

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2003, 06:03:37 am »

So when I say "this post is completely useless" it's analgous to those people who call up those phone polls and pay $3.95 a minute to vote "I don't know". :P

LOL!  I hope you're making this up.

I started to get excited as I was reading this thread, thinking that J River would finally recognize this problem since so many users are so annoyed.  I've complained about this issue a couple of times.  And I've been angered (heart-racing, ready-to-throw-my-monitor-on-the-floor angered) at least a dozen times by this problem.  Most other times, I'm able to control my temper.  And I still make the mistake of hitting the Enter key occasionally.

This is why I love the new "Recent Playing Now's" feature.  This allows me to recover the playlist I've put so much time into developing.  But this is only a partial solution.

Jim and Matt,
Users have certain expectations when they use a program.  It's an unwritten Windows standard UI.  Clicking on the words at the top left produces drop-down menus.  Clicking a column header sorts the list.  Double-clicking a song will launch it.

MC's ability to continually update the search with every key is impressive, and I can see why you might think that hitting the Enter key to perform the search would then be redundant.  But I don't think you can expect this surprise feature for the Enter key will attract new users.  I do think you've lost users though.

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2003, 06:09:42 am »

Not sure what's more disturbing, The dog straightening up after ... finishing.
Looks like he had some special training in a strange kind of circus...:o

Or the person video taping it  :-/

Well, I don't know a lot about cameramen, but I guess it was the guy *your* momma should have warned you about ;D :P

TimB

« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2003, 06:40:35 am »

I definately agree with the caution about letting advanced users define your featureset.  Tho' (to my personal joy) JRiver does seem to do that all the time. :)

HOWEVER, I'm with the majority on this Playing Now biz.  I think its counter-intuitive and confusing. :) :)

(Oh, my wife HATES dogs.)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

nila

« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2003, 07:31:14 am »

Doof,

The auto complete was turned off if I recall correctly because it was slowing down users with slower systems. We originally had it and I loved it - it was what most tagging software has to enable you to use old tags.

Some people started complaining though that it was slowying down their systems so Matt turned it off in one build and it's been gone ever since.

As sad as it sounds, something as little as this made a LOT of difference to how easy it was to tagg my files.

My library started becoming a huge mess fast and I have things like 3 enteries for J. Lo
My library has:

J. Lo
J Lo
Jennifer Lopez

all in it and in order to tidy it I need to bring up a list of all the artists then change it. The new panes help because I can see all the items side by side so can see the other enteries but it's still a big pain in the rear when using the properties window.

Things like this are hard to please everyone with - do u displease the users with the slower computers and turn on this great feature, or do you disable it and poor old me has a really messed up library :)
The only way to please them all is to go the Zoom player way and let everyone get it how they like it - options options and more options :)

I'm probably just PMSing because I've been away from all my friends and family for a month and know NO ONE up here. All I do is work all day (usually start around 8.30 am then go home at around 10-11pm). On the weekends I dont know anyone so have very little to do.
Also I haven't been sleeping too well - all in all it's just burning me out - luckily I'm returning home for a week in a week so hopefully I can recover a bit - it's going to be an INTENSE week though - non stop dancing every day for a week - I'm gonna be knackered!! :)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2003, 08:58:18 am »

You're getting hung up in the details, Nila.

nila

« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2003, 09:54:24 am »

Ah - but how big's your library Doof?

Mine's 10,000 songs.

You take that same soft of problem and multiply it X fold and it makes the library a real pain in the ass.

I can think of three artists off the top of my head it happens all the time with:

J. Lo

P. Diddy

Bone Thugs N Harmony

And I had another 30 or more it happens with - it really does add to the size of an already large tree :)

Yeah it's a small point but one that gets irritating fast :)
(I'm a perfectionist - can be a good quality, other times it can mean I'm too picky with stuff).

nila

« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2003, 09:56:31 am »

lol - we're way off topic here though again (oooh look, another thread that's drifted - what a shock!)

As a solution that would suit everyone - what about the idea from someone of Ctrl+Enter for playing them all?

Means no accidents but just as fast for those that want it?

jleerigby

« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2003, 11:22:00 am »

Matt - This topics run it's course now and everyone's had a whine.  Do you have a final word - Like Ok we see what you mean and we'll look at it?

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2003, 12:23:51 pm »

Ahh, here is a thread about the "Enter" key problem.   ;D

I have this problem at not only search window but also smartlist creation window.  I still hit enter key accidentaly while I'm listening music and editing smartlist.  As a result, my playlist is wiped out by this new smartlist I'm still editing, and MC9 starts playing them.  Then, I need to bring my old playlist back.  And, I continue to edit the smartlist.  Everytime, I waste 30 sec or so.  It's really annoying me.

I really appreciate if MC9 stops working like above.

fex

« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2003, 02:22:53 pm »

Back to the roots:

The reflex is to strong. Annoying. Count me in.

Searching for (nuts, hit "Enter" ;)) and listening to: 'The Reflex' from 'Strange Behaviour (1 of 2)' by 'Duran Duran' on Media Center 9.1

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2003, 03:10:14 pm »

It was changed in the latest build.

May we live to fight another day :P
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

fex

« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2003, 03:32:56 pm »

Searching for : 'The Reflex ' from 'Strange Behaviour (1 of 2)' by 'Duran Duran' on Media Center 9.1

............... hit 'Enter' and still ................

Listening to: 'The Height Of The Fighting' from 'Penthouse And Pavement' by 'Heaven 17' on Media Center 9.1

Thank you for listening!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2003, 03:43:26 pm »

I see Shift-Enter works to play the results now. That's good. I'm glad there's at least some way to still do this.

jleerigby

« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2003, 04:49:50 pm »

It was changed in the latest build.

May we live to fight another day :P

Indeed you may...Thanks Matt.

Listening to Kissing Searching with confidence by Will Powers.

LonWar

« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2003, 05:20:08 pm »

Thanks,

ya know.... I still think it's kinda weird..  I have been in some other beta's before and the devs just ignored you...

**Round of applause for 1 of the best teams around**
-

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2003, 05:25:08 pm »

:o Wow.  Thank you so much.  I can edit smartlist without problems now.

Wile E. One

• World Citizen
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2003, 12:38:04 am »

Thank you! It was because of the JRiver team's support and "ear" that I chose to buy Media Jukebox.... it's for the same reasons that I still stay with Media Center today.
Now isn't this just typical of whereever this is?

nila

« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2003, 03:20:09 pm »

See - they listen :)

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2003, 09:09:42 am »

Thanks so much Matt.  You've no idea how happy this makes us... now back to making playlists with Jonathan, where the only shouting matches will be about whether or not the next song really does go well with the previous one ;)
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up