INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving files and folders  (Read 833 times)

BDR

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Moving files and folders
« on: July 18, 2003, 06:37:22 am »

I recently added an external 250 gig hard drive to my media system.  I want to transfer all of the music files and folders from the internal c: drive to this new hard drive.  When I use the "Move" feature within MC9, it only copies the music files.  This created a very disorganized setup on the new drive with no way to tell which artist/album these songs belonged when looking at them in Explorer.  I would like to be able to copy all of my music as it currently exists on the main drive with folders and sub-folders.

Please let me know if there is an easy way to do this.  I know that if I just used Windows Explorer to move these files, the MC9 media library will loose track of the new location.

One idea I had was to move all of the files, keeping them in the appropriate folders/sub-folders over to the new drive using Explorer, deleate the files from the media library, and then using the import function to tell MC9 to go to the new drive and import all of these files to the library.  

I assume that I need to delete the files from the library after moving them so that when I reimport, the library will not have duplicate references (with some of those references with inacurate path info).  

If I need to delete these from library, do I only need to highlight all of the files in the media library and then hit delete?

Will this process cause the loss of cover art/lyrics surrently assigned to these files?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Moving files and folders
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 06:52:04 am »

Use Find\Replace.

Find : C:\
Replace : D:\ (or whatever your new drive letter is)

That will move the files and update the database all in one.

nila

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2003, 07:58:03 am »

Have a look at this thread.

It was talking alot about what your asking about:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1058326118;start=2#2

Your answer should be in tehre somewhere :)

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2003, 08:26:29 am »

I use MC exclusively now for handling all folders containing music via the My Computer tree with MC.

Open the folder/drive that contains the folders you want to move, open the folder/drive that contains the destination you want, highlight the folders, drag and drop in the tree to the destination.  Done.

This updates the database and will even move already imported mp3s around while playing them.

Admittedly, it would be nicer if the main pane/window had the option to display folders as well as files (aka. Windows Explorer) but it works for me.
Toast goes in the toaster.
Pages: [1]   Go Up