INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Room Correction  (Read 2909 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
Room Correction
« on: February 22, 2017, 11:16:18 am »

Are many of you out there in the community using this? I opened it up recently for the first time and noticed you can set the listening distance from the speakers and I thought, well, isn't this always going to be a good feature to have since there is always a distance from the speakers? (I listen from one spot, so this does not apply if you move around a lot in your listening place/office/living room etc.). Anyway still listening for subtle differences in sound. And wondering if this is such a significant aspect of listening to music that I should have set it up on the first day rather than stumbling on it out of curiosity. Yes, people will say "Just listen to the music and whatever works for you etc etc," but I am wondering if anyone considers 'room correction' to be either essential or a marked improvement.

I'll also throw this in just for laughs:

"The real hi-fi buff, of course, does know a lot about acoustics. He will study recordings in great depth, far more than I do—but then, I am not a hi-fi buff. He will have special speakers in his living room, and make everything subservient to that. He’ll put the chairs in special positions, and he’ll make sure the carpet is the right size and depth and so on. I’m sure his wife has a terrible time. You’ll go into his room one evening, and he’ll play you a record and say: “Listen to that triangle. Isn’t it fantastic?” Well, it will be fantastic, but as far as I’m concerned, life’s too short for all that. If he is concentrating too much on listening for the triangle, he may be missing out on the piece of music as a whole. The technical may take over from the artistic."

From All You Need is Ears by George Martin (1979)

bryant berry

• World Citizen
  • im a good listener,even if i dont look it.
Re: Room Correction
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 12:14:31 pm »

i use room corr.spk 40 hz...with it off.. bass distortion....clears up sounds..on....i used a  lot more settings  before  in  dsp...the  disance andd volume....not  sure???...im  only stereo guy....2 way kilipks.i do have a tower pair...that  have  good  bass....this is just for cd playing stereo...i use  a  emovita dac direct to pwr amp....addaptive vol..on....ive   noticed  my  peek  levels  going  over  100.....never  115.....it  sounds good  without  a  sub..good luck and listening...

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 03:23:26 pm »

I use room correction basically for bass management. all distance and volume are set to 0

patrick
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 05:06:55 pm »

Are many of you out there in the community using this? I opened it up recently for the first time and noticed you can set the listening distance from the speakers and I thought, well, isn't this always going to be a good feature to have since there is always a distance from the speakers? (I listen from one spot, so this does not apply if you move around a lot in your listening place/office/living room etc.). Anyway still listening for subtle differences in sound. And wondering if this is such a significant aspect of listening to music that I should have set it up on the first day rather than stumbling on it out of curiosity. Yes, people will say "Just listen to the music and whatever works for you etc etc," but I am wondering if anyone considers 'room correction' to be either essential or a marked improvement.

I'll also throw this in just for laughs:

"The real hi-fi buff, of course, does know a lot about acoustics. He will study recordings in great depth, far more than I do—but then, I am not a hi-fi buff. He will have special speakers in his living room, and make everything subservient to that. He’ll put the chairs in special positions, and he’ll make sure the carpet is the right size and depth and so on. I’m sure his wife has a terrible time. You’ll go into his room one evening, and he’ll play you a record and say: “Listen to that triangle. Isn’t it fantastic?” Well, it will be fantastic, but as far as I’m concerned, life’s too short for all that. If he is concentrating too much on listening for the triangle, he may be missing out on the piece of music as a whole. The technical may take over from the artistic."

From All You Need is Ears by George Martin (1979)

I take it that you are a stereo listener, perhaps? 

Speaker distance is really just a concept in Multichannel.  And, the distance value itself does nothing, except in relation to the distance settings of other speakers.  That is to say, listening to just one channel and changing the distance setting does nothing to the sound.

The absolute distances do not matter. But, the comparisons of speaker distances between channels allows JRiver or any Mch processor to introduce more delay into the nearer channels so as to maintain accurate timing between all channels, as though they were all equidistant from the central main listening position or sweet spot.  I hope that is clear.

Also, Room Correction is where you configure individual channel crossovers for the subwoofer channel, assuming you wish to do that.

I agree that this whole area of JRiver has been misnamed.  This is not " Room Correction".  I do true Room Correction with Dirac Live, a separate third-party product.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 05:18:03 pm »

OK...as I am a stereo listener, it is doing nothing for me then. That's good; I won't have to worry about it. Thanks for the explanation.

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 02:07:40 pm »

It may or may not have an impact on your listening enjoyment. It depends on several things being equal (or not equal)...
  • Are all speakers the same? (Model, size, age, etc)
  • Are all speakers running with the same amount of power?
  • Are all speakers placed the same equal distance from you head while listening?

If the answer to all of the above is yes then there may very well be little advantage to the Room Correction settings in MC as all your speakers are already balanced (as far as time delay & dB output are concerned).

However, this does not compensate for the acoustics of the room itself. Few if any rooms are ideal unless they were built specifically for your sound stage. Most of us have to live with the room that we already have which means all kinds of sound absorbing material in the room such as drapes, carpet, tile, furniture and the odd-shaped room itself with doorways, windows, etc not to mention having to place speakers at less then ideal distances from each other to get around problems in the room.

I uses Realtek HD Audio Manager that came with my ASUS motherboard to get a handle on my 12 speakers (SEE: jpeg of my settings).

As you can see my speakers are placed at various distances from each other as dictated by the room shape & size. In my case enabling or disabling Room Correction has a noticeable effect on the overall sound as the speakers are placed at various distances & the left sided of my room has a glass patio door & the right has a big doorway both of which have an impact on room acoustics.

I have found that setting time delays with the distance settings AND using a sound level meter to set individual speaker loudness until all speakers have the same dB output goes a long way towards getting better sound out of any system.

My advice is to... just try it yourself.  It can be a lot of fun setting up & you will learn a lot more about sound.

Who knows, you may really like what you get.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up