INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Misc. DLNA Server questions - Streaming at max quality and zone setup  (Read 3164 times)

noxthenox

Hello there,

I've been using MC for a couple years now, it wasn't until I got a really solid home setup that I really began seeing how amazing the software was. I'm slowly trying to transition my collection to 24 bit FLAC's and wean myself off iTunes and Spotify.

I have finally buckled down and have been trying to configure it for both local use in my house and streaming to various devices.

I have a HTPC/server that I built with JRiver MC 22 installed. It is an i7 with separate SSD's for both system and storage. I did all the DLNA setup necessary; access keys, port forwarding and authentication. I have very fast home internet and unlimited data on my mobile device so I can successfully connect to my library with  any device using JRemote both iPhone or iPad. My main listening station at home runs MC 22 network connected to the main library on a Surface Pro connected to a DAC headphone setup.

My first issue is that my playback on non-local network devices is being downsampled to 44.1kHz/16 bit. On the main media server's library under Tools->Options->Media Network->Add or Configure DLNA servers... I have both "Specified Format" and "PCM 24" selected. I tried configuring it as both "Generic DLNA" and "Audiophile DAC".

When I look at the info pop-up within JRemote in iOS I can see I'm not at max quality. I am also using an Audioquest Dragonfly that changes colors with the bitrate and it always stays green (44.1kHz) to orange (88.2kHz) or purple (96kHz). If I use a native iOS FLAC player I can always change formats no problem. If anyone has any insight on what I'm missing it would be much appreciated. I've scoured the menus and googled but I haven't found any posts detailing what is probably a simple oversight on my part. I have transcode turned off on all the playback devices so I know it's not happening on the iOS devices.

My second question is a bit simpler. How can I see what devices are handling playback at any given moment from the master server/instance of JRiver? I can tell when I'm using a second installation on another computer for playback but there doesn't seem to any indication of when my iOS devices are connected. I'm assuming these can be configured as Zones once they appear.

Thanks for any help deciphering this.

TLDR: What are all the settings I need on main server for max quality to stream to non-local internet connected devices and how can I configure them as Zones.
Custom built PC - i7 - SSD Raid - Audeze LCD-2 Woo Audio WA7 DAC/Amp - Q-Audio Cables
iPhone 6S Plus - Audioquest Dragonfly Red - V-Moda M-100's - Moon Audio Blue Dragon Cable

noxthenox

Re: Misc. DLNA Server questions - Streaming at max quality and zone setup
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 04:00:18 pm »

Was there something about my question that didn't merit a response?  ?
Custom built PC - i7 - SSD Raid - Audeze LCD-2 Woo Audio WA7 DAC/Amp - Q-Audio Cables
iPhone 6S Plus - Audioquest Dragonfly Red - V-Moda M-100's - Moon Audio Blue Dragon Cable

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 04:23:52 pm »

It's hard to follow your description.

If you're using DLNA, the DLNA Server determines what formats to attempt.  The device you're playing to needs to be capable of playing that format.

It would be helpful if you can describe your setup carefully, and when testing, test each step before trying for more complexity.  That will help you find the piece that isn't behaving as expected.

noxthenox

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 05:00:45 pm »

Jim, thanks for replying.

My setup is a PC I built running Windows 10. All of the media is being served by an internal SSD. On this main machine I have MC 22 running and it acts as the main library for all the other devices. I have it setup under Media Network so I can access it from various machines (other computers at work, iPad, iPhone etc). My main listening station at home is a Surface Pro running MC 22 that is driving a DAC/Amp for my headphones. All of this works fine.

My network is configured so I can access my library from my iPhone with JRemote over the cellular network. I can access my library and listen to everything without any issues. It's just downsampling everything to 44.1 on my iPhone with DAC attached.

I have a portable Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC/Amp plugged into my phone that can play up to 96kHz http://www.audioquest.com/dragonfly-series/. It has an LED on it that changes colors to indicate what format it is playing back. When I play FLAC files locally using a FLAC playback app the DAC turns amber or magenta to indicate it's playing back a file at it's native higher resolution. However when I stream music with JRemote from my home library the LED turns green indicating it's never changing from 44.1. From within the JRemote app it recognizes the file formats as FLACs it's just no outputting them at the correct sample rate.

I wonder if it's a limitation of the JRemote app versus how I have it configured.

I attached a screen cap of where I have it configured for the output format inside of JRiver. Hope that made more sense!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 05:37:18 pm »

My setup is a PC running Windows 10. All of the media is being served by an internal SSD. On this main machine I have MC 22 running and it acts as the main library for all the other devices. I have it setup under Media Network so I can access it from various machines (other computers at work, iPad, iPhone etc). My main listening station at home is a Surface Pro running MC 22 that is driving a DAC/Amp for my headphones. All of this works fine.

My network is configured so I can access my library from my iPhone with JRemote over the cellular network. I can access my library and listen to everything without any issues. It's just downsampling everything to 44.1 on my iPhone with DAC attached.
If you're listening on your phone from an MC Server over a cell network, you should be able to configure the quality you want in the phone settings.  I use Gizmo on Android and you can choose the quality level there.  I am not certain that the same option is available in JRemote, but please look at its settings.

DJLegba

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 05:46:33 pm »

Have you tried "Mode: Specified output format only when necessary"?

I don't know what kind of music you listen to, but if gapless playback is important you should be aware that JRemote doesn't do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up