INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WASAPI not working - Log supplied  (Read 6810 times)

mycrowave

• Recent member
WASAPI not working - Log supplied
« on: February 26, 2017, 03:17:35 pm »

I recently began having a problem with the WASAPI connection on my media center PC.

The version of mediacenter that I am running is: 22.0.59

Whenever I try to play music I get a message telling me "Something went wrong with playback" and then it says something like the bitrate of 44.1khz is not supported or there is a driver problem"

I've been following all of the solutions that I could find on the forum, including removing all NVIDIA drivers from the system, then deleted anything NVIDIA that remained in device manager and then re-installed the NVIDIA drivers, verified that the devices were recreated, I tried all kinds of combinations of input/output bitrates in the DSP studio too.

I hope that sending this log to you the attached log will help you help me figure this out and fix it.  Thanks in advance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: WASAPI not working - Log supplied
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 04:20:43 pm »

You can use DSP Studio > Output Settings in MC to output 48Khz.

mycrowave

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 06:28:44 pm »

Thanks for the reply Jim.  I get the same result with 48 or 96.  BTW, exclusive access is checked.  I've also tried it with it unchecked.

If it is of any help, when I use the same device in Kodi 16.1 with passthrough enabled, it works fine.

Would it be of any help to capture more JRiver logs as I try them?

Perhaps an explanation of my setup might be helpful:

I am trying to play the files from a windows PC through HDMI on my NVIDIA GTX 580 to my Yamaha Aventage 1020 receiver.  I have a Samsung TV connected to the receiver as the video output device and I believe that is why it shows up as Samsung 14.

The files are located on a Windows server 2012 R2 computer using Media Center as the server and I am playing the files across the network using the Media Center on the PC connected to the receiver as the cleint.

mycrowave

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 09:21:34 pm »

I'm still having the same problem on 22.0.77.

Here is a new log in case it is of any help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 09:32:46 pm »

You can use DSP Studio > Output Settings in MC to output 48Khz.
Did you try that?

mycrowave

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 11:10:05 pm »

Yes Jim, I did.

Did you see my prior reply?

Here it is again in case you missed it: "I get the same result with 48 or 96.  BTW, exclusive access is checked.  I've also tried it with it unchecked."

Since I have not tried your recommendation on 22.0.77, I have just done that also.  Here is a new copy of the log with those settings.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 08:35:10 am »

Do you have two devices connected to your video card? For example, HDMI to the TV and HDMI to a pre-pro/AV receiver?

The issue you're having is that the sound is attempting to play through your Samsung TV's speakers, which doesn't have the capability of playing the sample rates you're attempting to play.
Now that could be because your default audio device for that zone has changed, or your AV receiver is off or on the wrong input, or you have some kind of passthrough setting on your AV receiver. Once you've reinstalled the nvidia drivers, did you go through the audio setup to see whether your pre-pro/avr shows up as a playback device?

mycrowave

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 10:29:12 am »

My computer is connected to my receiver, a Yamaha RX-a1020 via HDMI.  The Samsung TV is connected to the HDMI1 out on the receiver.  I do not use the speakers on the TV for anything.

Windows was properly recognizing the capabilities of the receiver, even though it says Samsung.  See attached image Jriver1.png and when I ran a sound test at 24bit 192khz, the test plays fine.  See attached jriver2.png

I agree with your assessment that JRiver may have been interpreting what the Television is capable of when trying to play back as opposed to using what the receiver is capable of.  This was all working fine a few months ago.  Since then several things had changed in rapid succession on the system and when I got back around to using JRiver, it would not work.

Uninstalls:
VBCable
TuneBlade
shareport4w

Updates:
Nvidia video Driver
JRiver

Today I decided to just perform a clean reinstall of the whole system, re-partitioning and everything.  Given that I had some significant uninstalls that could be related to the problem and some significant updates, it seemed like a good idea. Now that the system is up, JRiver was the first non-default application that I installed, and it seems that everything is back to normal.  My suspicion is that the uninstalls of one of the applications mentioned above was the cause of the problem and if I had to guess I would bet it was VBCABLE.

Thanks for the help.  If you want any additional information from me about this, I would be happy to help out in whatever way that I can.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 10:35:16 am »

Glad that things are working well now.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 01:54:55 pm »

It looks like the WASPI is only supporting your Samsung TV properties (the end of the chain). What if you unplug the TV and then restart with on the Yamaha connected - do you get a larger list of supported formats and sample rates?

mycrowave

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 07:42:46 pm »

It is interesting that you mention that CB.  I was thinking the same thing.  It will be kind of hard to see the audio options without the TV connected as the TV is my monitor, but let me see if I can rig something up.  I think I have a couple of spare computer monitors lying around that I can try to hook up.

I've attached the relevant clip of the capabilities of my receiver.  I will reconfigure the DSP for no conversion based on the attached clip and see what happens. I have some DSD files that should be able to be played without conversion too, but for the life of me I have never been able to figure out how to make that work.  Perhaps this is the reason.

I will update the group after I try.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 07:48:51 pm »

Receivers often have a setting to forward audio to the TV, if thats on it would only show the TVs audio properties and not the receivers. Might want to check its settings.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mycrowave

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 08:49:27 pm »

The first thing that I tried is I turned off the Audio pass-through on the receiver.  That did not change anything.

I then connected a computer monitor via DVI and made it the primary monitor so that I can experiment.

Then, I turned off the TV to see what would happen.  The computer recognized the Receiver instead of the TV.  Attached png file Jriver4 & Jriver5.  I am somewhat disappointed that the audio options did not seem to change.

I then turned the TV back on, and checked the playback devices again and It went back to Samsung-14 with no change in the audio bitrate options.

Then I turned off the TV and physically disconnected the HDMI cable to see what would happen but the supported formats did not change. 

The next option will be that I will restart the computer to see if that will cause the video driver to recognize any difference in the capabilities of the receiver.

More to come in the next post after the restart.

mycrowave

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 09:26:48 pm »

So, after all of that messing around, MediaCenter is all messed up and will no longer play any audio on the WASAPI audio device. Not sure if this is a JRiver Media Center issue or an NVIDIA HD Audio adapter issue however, it plays when direct sound is chosen.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to recover from this besides reinstalling windows?

I will wait 15 minutes, then I will begin the process of reinstalling.

mycrowave

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 10:22:05 pm »

I forgot that I made a backup of the system earlier today.

I'm now fully restored from the backup and the system is working once again.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 11:03:08 pm »

It's also worth noting that your card is limited in the number of formats it can pass through. For example, Dolby TruHD and DTS-HD MA are not included in the formats available, even though your receiver is capable of them. The culprit is the GPU - later series from nvidia allowed bitstreaming throughout the whole product range, but the 4 and 5 series cards did not in the higher models like the 580. The same might be true of which sample rates you can play.

mycrowave

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 11:27:43 pm »

Thank you for that additional information.  I will keep it in mind as I continue experimenting with all of this.

I wonder if I have a more modern video card lying around...  I will have to dig through my parts box to see what I have.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 12:29:59 am »

A more modern card might be a good change to make as that GTX580 was rather a power-hungry card for what it could do by today's standard.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 05:16:43 am »

I would have expected the WASAPI properties to look more like mine (I have an NVidia 1050Ti card). With DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD

Is the graphics card or the AVR that determines what formats/sample rates can be used or seen in the WASAPI properties?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 05:48:05 am »

Is the graphics card or the AVR that determines what formats/sample rates can be used or seen in the WASAPI properties?

Both. Only things supported on both ends can be used.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mycrowave

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 03:07:44 pm »

I found an AMD R9 390 that I can use.  Problem is that I cannot find any specifications for what audio formats it supports. Go figure, why would the video card advertise it's audio capabilities?  LOL.

I posted something on the AMD forums.  Before going through the hassle of replacing the video card, I want to make sure that it will be worth while from an audio perspective.

I don't need the graphics processing capabilities and also switching from NVIDIA to AMD is somewhat involved.

If anyone here knows what the R9 390 supports and would like to reply I would appreciate it, in case they don't get back to me on the AMD forums.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 03:49:27 pm »

Try with "bitstream" On in settings and see if DTS-HD and/or Dolby TrueHD lights come on on your receiver (of course make sure whatever movie your playing has the format your testing).

mycrowave

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 03:56:21 pm »

I do have bitstream turned on.  I had to cut back the various formats supported by HDMI config in JRiver using custom to match what my video driver shows. Otherwise, any time I tried to play a blu-ray disc, it would not play due to audio incompatibilities.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 11:27:52 pm »

I think you have an EDID problem. Even now.

mycrowave

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 03:25:50 pm »

With the Video card, TV or the Receiver?

The TV is a Samsung UN65C8000, from 2010 and the manual for it only lists the following audio formats being supported:

Dolby Digital,
Dolby Digital +
DTS 2.0+

This also matches what I see from windows for the TV.  What does not make sense is why the TV capabilities, or limitations, depending on how you want to look at it, are reading through the receiver to windows even though I have turned off HDMI audio to the HDMI out of the receiver. 

I guess that the question I should be asking myself is if I have the audio to HDMI out turned off, then why does it still report the limited capabilities of the TV?

If you could elaborate on what you are thinking Fitbrit, I would love to read it.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2017, 04:30:25 pm »

Yes, the EDID problem you have is that your video card is reading the capabilities of the TV, and not the AVR, just like you state. This is not uncommon, but it has become less common over the years. Often it's just a driver installation issue, but in your case, you've tried several drivers with at least two different video cards.
There is an instant, but expensive, way to fix it and never have to encounter the problem again. That answer is an EDID reader like the Gefen HDMI detective Plus

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1029274-REG/gefen_ext_hd_edidpn_hdmi_detective_plus.html

These seem to have gone up in price now that they are discontinued. You could try EBay, though, where they go for a little less, or used to. I have two myself because I had a similar issue to yours a few years ago. I may not even need it any more since I have changed motherboards, videocards, Windows versions, but I have kept mine in place.

What it does is it reads the capabilities of your receiver, and stores that information. Then, when you connect your video card to it (the unit sits between your video card and receiver), it always presents the video card with the EDID information of the receiver, no matter what you connect beyond your receiver. It avoids handshake and EDID issues, and frankly, a LOT of headaches if you are unfortunate enough to have these issues.

There is a software way to do it as well, but I found it finicky and I gave up trying to get it to work. You could do a lot more reading on the subject by looking up EDID issues on AVSForums.

mycrowave

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2017, 06:56:16 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion.

Where things sit at present is that I am able to get ripped blu-ray movies to play when I turn on bitstreaming  setting with Dolby Digital AC3, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS.

For DSP studio, I have everything being converted to 192Khz. with subwoofer set to Silent.

Through this configuration, I seem to be able to play everything that I want to play. I realize that the movies are not being played back optimally, but if I really want to hear uncompressed audio from the blu-ray movies, I will stick the disk into the player that I have. 

I never got a chance to check a newer NVIDIA card as I don't have one and switching from NVIDIA to AMD after the drivers have been installed has been problematic in the past so I have not tried that and don't think that I will. I really don't feel like fixing it until it is broken again if you know what I mean.  So I will stick with it this way.

Considering that the PC which I am using is 5.5 years old.  I am happy that I am still able to get use out of it.  I think it is a reasonable media center PC given it's age.

Thanks to everyone for all of the help, suggestions, and support on this topic.  Ultimately, I think I will end up purchasing a nice USB dac (perhaps Emotiva Stealth DC-1 or an Oppo Sonica DAC) afterall, fathers day is coming up and I always try to buy something for myself for fathers day  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up