INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Props to JRiver for super efficient coding  (Read 1405 times)

rn701

• Junior Woodchuck
Props to JRiver for super efficient coding
« on: March 05, 2017, 09:03:06 am »

I love it when I'm listening to JRiver music playback and a Norton message pops up saying it's performing background tasks while my computer is idle. Heh.

This is on a puny Celeron streaming and decoding FLAC from a file server while connected as a shared library client to another JRiver server PC.

Don't think I've ever seen CPU utilization over 5% and it's usually more like 2% to 3%.

(I've tried some other apps out of curiosity. Roon and Plex both cripple it. And for me, JRiver has better/more functionality.)

Anyway, respect for what must be some pretty tight code.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Props to JRiver for super efficient coding
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 09:23:10 am »

I love it when I'm listening to JRiver music playback and a Norton message pops up saying it's performing background tasks while my computer is idle. Heh.

This is on a puny Celeron streaming and decoding FLAC from a file server while connected as a shared library client to another JRiver server PC.

Don't think I've ever seen CPU utilization over 5% and it's usually more like 2% to 3%.
I am guessing you are playing only stereo at CD (or lower) bitrates.  Piece of cake.  The coding is great but your Celeron will run out of steam with hi-rez multichannel and preclude background tasks.

N.B.: This is not a criticism of JRiver. 
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Props to JRiver for super efficient coding
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 09:48:25 am »

The code quality is pretty amazing.  A few years ago I was stress testing a CPU running Prime95 on all cores and forgot I had left JRiver playing music in the background.  I figured "what the heck" and let it run.  I made it 20 minutes before I heard the first pop or drop out with all 8 cores running at 100%!  I was floored.
Pages: [1]   Go Up