INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD64 over DLNA to Oppo205  (Read 3999 times)

oem-wheels

• Recent member
DSD64 over DLNA to Oppo205
« on: August 13, 2017, 03:59:35 pm »

i just started getting into computer audio ... 2 weeks into it... I hope i'm in the right section with this post...  i currently have JRiver streaming over DLNA to my Oppo 205 player...  computer to router via wifi and router to Oppo wired...from what i read in the wiki, this bypasses JRiver's DSP and allows the Oppo to do all the processing...  right ?  FLAC playing fine... ONE issue i can't figure out is DSD64 over DLNA.... i have it playing but when i view the display to see what resolution its being played in, it tells me 24bit/176.4KHz is being played when the music download is DSD64... i keep going back to the instructions on how to set up DSD playback over DLNA and checking that I've done everything correctly... everything looks correct but i still no luck... i already confirmed with Oppo that it can handle DSD64 over DLNA... maybe its my router not fast enough ? i'm using a very cheap Ethernet cable (still CAT 6)... shopping for some new cable and even a new router...  internet speed is 100/100 so its pretty fast... any suggestions ?   thx

oem-wheels

• Recent member
Re: DSD64 over DLNA to Oppo205
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 04:43:07 pm »

forgot to mention, i'm in the trial version of JRiver if that matters

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 04:21:50 pm »

It doesn't matter that you are using a trial.

Are the tracks individual or part of an iso?
MC will not be able to serve the file in unconverted formats if they are part of an iso.

oem-wheels

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 10:22:33 pm »

so you mean when I download a DSD album,  download as individual songs/files and not as a DSD album ?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 10:42:14 am »

so you mean when I download a DSD album,  download as individual songs/files and not as a DSD album ?
Basically, yes.
What do the "File Type" and "File Name" fields in MC show for that album's tracks?

oem-wheels

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 09:24:54 pm »

"dsf" file type  &  HDTracks/Rebecca Pigeon/The Raven/06-You Got Me.dsf

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 09:24:56 am »

"dsf" file type  &  HDTracks/Rebecca Pigeon/The Raven/06-You Got Me.dsf
That should be OK.
Under the Options->Media Network->Add or Configure DLNA servers
choose your DLNA server then under Advanced, enable "Bitstream DSD" and see it that works.

oem-wheels

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 10:21:21 pm »

everything you said to do has been done...  Generic and 24bit DLNA was options but selected 24bit... Oppo is actually 32bit... still only have single DSD downloaded as album but I selected to play a single song from the file list hoping that it would bypass the "iso" thing you mentioned... should I buy another DSD album but download as individual songs (if that's possible) ?

RD James

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 01:03:04 am »

It's worth keeping in mind that DSD64 is roughly equivalent to 20-bit 48kHz PCM.
It could be argued that the frequency response extends a little higher than that, but above 24kHz you have to start filtering out a lot of noise.
If you're converting to 24/96 PCM or higher, you definitely have all of the audio information contained within the DSD file.

It's only really worth worrying about bitstreaming DSD if you've got one of the few true 1-bit DACs out there which can play back DSD completely untouched. (and that's not a recommendation to go buy one)
The main reason to be buying/ripping SACD now is because it may be the only format where a surround sound mix exists - though a lot of those have been released on DVD-A/Blu-ray now.
For anything else, just buy PCM. It's higher quality, and it's a lot less hassle.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 01:42:21 pm »

everything you said to do has been done...  Generic and 24bit DLNA was options but selected 24bit... Oppo is actually 32bit... still only have single DSD downloaded as album but I selected to play a single song from the file list hoping that it would bypass the "iso" thing you mentioned... should I buy another DSD album but download as individual songs (if that's possible) ?
It seems to me that they are individual tracks.
If you right-click on that example you gave me and do "Show on disk (external)" do you see individual tracks?

oem-wheels

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 08:21:36 pm »

yes, I see individual tracks

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 09:53:44 am »

Ok, I checked this with MC acting as a renderer and an attached DAC.

With a DAC that can do DSD native over DLNA it plays DSD files without issue if the bitstream DoPE in the advanced field for the server is NOT set.

With a DAC that can't do DSD native but CAN do it with DoP you need to set that DoPE option in Advanced. I've verified that works as well.

If your DAC cannot do DoPE (DoP over ethernet) you will see the 176k PCM indication as it's playing back because the DAC doesn't recognize the DoP markers on the encapsulated PCM.

If you can't play in either configuration I think we can assume your Oppo doesn't support DSD over DLNA.

oem-wheels

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 08:57:07 pm »

thanks Bob for your help.... I called Oppo again and they confirmed that it can accept DSD64 via Ethernet... they said the server must be able to send DSD natively ...  so it must be me not doing something right ... i'll keep trying ... and thanks RD James for your input .... i'll just stick with FLAC since its better ... so I just sent my Oppo out to get modded (Modwright) ... upgrade Ethernet cable... and next I guess find a dedicated computer to run MC ?  I've read having a regular/everyday computer to stream music can have a negative affect ? any suggestion on what I should get ? I guess this could be a start for another thread ...   :)

DJLegba

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 09:03:59 pm »

Put a cheap headless NUC beside your Oppo and connect the Oppo to the NUC via USB.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 10:13:08 am »

thanks Bob for your help.... I called Oppo again and they confirmed that it can accept DSD64 via Ethernet... they said the server must be able to send DSD natively ...  so it must be me not doing something right ... i'll keep trying ... and thanks RD James for your input .... i'll just stick with FLAC since its better ... so I just sent my Oppo out to get modded (Modwright) ... upgrade Ethernet cable... and next I guess find a dedicated computer to run MC ?  I've read having a regular/everyday computer to stream music can have a negative affect ? any suggestion on what I should get ? I guess this could be a start for another thread ...   :)
Can you try running Andrews DMR tester and post the results?
http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra
Pages: [1]   Go Up