INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any way to force playing for "unsupported" formats?  (Read 2180 times)

rn701

• Junior Woodchuck
Any way to force playing for "unsupported" formats?
« on: March 15, 2017, 09:31:34 am »

My PC optical output says (in Windows properties supported formats) that it doesn't support oddball formts like 88.2 khz. They play fine on my AVR, though, if playing through HDMI instead.

I understand there's no two-way handshaking between the optical adapter and the output device to query what it can actually play. And I haven't found a way to add the oddball formats to what the PC driver reports.

So a couple of questions.

1. When JRiver first encountered this it asked if I wanted to resample. I said yes. I notce this turned on output formatting for everything. I went in and set the desired output rates per each input rate. Is there a way I can get it to again prompt for unsupported formats so I can weed them out and keep JRiver from automatically turning on output formatting?

2. Is there a way to tell JRiver to ignore this and just play it anyway without resampling? Would that even work or is there an actual hardware/driver limitation of the optical output?

This would help with HDMI, too. The only reason I'm using optical is because the HDMI adapter/driver keeps losing its supported formatting settings when switching between inputs. Some sort of handshaking problem, I guess. (Sometimes JRiver even says it can't play 44.1 even though it's listed in the HDMI supported formats.)

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Any way to force playing for "unsupported" formats?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 09:39:02 am »

If the driver doesn't accept it, there is no way to override that. You can't tell it a "wrong" format, as audio would then play too slow or too fast.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

rn701

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 09:45:11 am »

If the driver doesn't accept it, there is no way to override that. You can't tell it a "wrong" format, as audio would then play too slow or too fast.

Got it. Thanks.

P.S. is there a way to jo back to JRiver prompting when it encounters an unsupported format?

DJLegba

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 10:40:24 am »

Got it. Thanks.

P.S. is there a way to jo back to JRiver prompting when it encounters an unsupported format?

Be careful with this, it will change ALL formats. It's much better to deal with the error yourself by changing just the format you're having trouble with.

rn701

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 11:00:58 am »

Be careful with this, it will change ALL formats. It's much better to deal with the error yourself by changing just the format you're having trouble with.

That's one reason I'd like to be prompted. The first time I got the message I said yes, reformat but now I'd like to be prompted again.

Also, in dsd output foratting, you can specify 'no change' for the supported formats individually.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 11:17:38 am »

The setting is under Audio -> Advanced (at the bottom), "Auto configure output settings on playback error"
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

DJLegba

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 11:35:48 am »

The setting is under Audio -> Advanced (at the bottom), "Auto configure output settings on playback error"

That option would be much more useful if it only auto configured the current sample rate instead of all sample rates. I'd much rather be prompted more than once than have MC reset everything in one fell swoop.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 11:46:53 am »

If your hardware can't play a sample, say 44.1, and you have 500 files with that sample rate, you would rather answer the question (to change the sample rate) on every individual file each time you try to play it rather than just fix them all at once? Why?

DJLegba

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 11:56:08 am »

If your hardware can't play a sample, say 44.1, and you have 500 files with that sample rate, you would rather answer the question (to change the sample rate) on every individual file each time you try to play it rather than just fix them all at once? Why?

I don't mean for each file, I mean for each sample rate. I tried that listening test option when it came out. I had all output formats set to "No Change", but it turns out my system can't play files with sample rates lower than 44.1kHz. I own precisely zero files like that, but during the listening test MC asked me if I wanted to change the output to support the file. I said yes, and it changed ALL output formats without telling me. Of course something like that is easy to hear, but I had to go back and reset everything. It would have been much better if MC had changed the output setting for the "Less than 44,100Hz" input only.
Pages: [1]   Go Up