INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB Audio Device for Id  (Read 10677 times)

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
USB Audio Device for Id
« on: November 16, 2016, 12:44:25 am »

Hi Team MC. Just got your new mSD of Id for Raspberry Pi 3. Up and running. Access Key working to give access over to JRemote. My Home NAS library is slowly (very slowly) importing in. All good.

But, in GUI mode when I go to Tools/Options/Audio/Audio Device, only a bunch of ALTA choices appear. My USB DAC, a LH Labs Geek Pulse, does not appear. I know that LH has a Windows driver, but that is obviously not relevant here.

What do I need to do here?  Thanks. JCR

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: USB Audio Device for Id
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 09:40:40 am »

To add further color, I have tried both a Halide USB DAC and a new Audioquest Dragonfly Red USB DAC, and neither of those appear as audio device choices as well. Rebooting the Id has no effect. I just get a large list of dmix, dsnoop, front, hw, ie, plughw, surround and sysdefault device choices, none of which work.

Is there no DAC that actually works with the Id on Raspberry Pi 3? JCR

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 09:54:59 am »

If you chose the right output, you should be able to play to the DAC.  Did you try them all?

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 11:26:16 am »

Hi Jim.  I did.  In each case, the playback software shows that the selected track is playing, and it shows the full bitrate.  But, no sound from any of the choices with any of the DACs I have tried.  Should not the name of the DAC itself, or some reference to it, show up on the list?

So near, yet so far....

Thanks in advance for your next thoughts on what to do.  JCR

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 12:23:36 pm »

To add further color, I have tried both a Halide USB DAC and a new Audioquest Dragonfly Red USB DAC, and neither of those appear as audio device choices as well. Rebooting the Id has no effect. I just get a large list of dmix, dsnoop, front, hw, ie, plughw, surround and sysdefault device choices, none of which work.

Is there no DAC that actually works with the Id on Raspberry Pi 3? JCR

I have no experience with the Raspberry Pi NUC but I tried out a Dragonfly Red DAC and another USB audio device on my Intel based NUC.  Both were recognized and played audio.  The audio device names listed were not obvious.

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 12:28:57 pm »

Ok I did get the Dragonfly Red to work using Audio Device labeled "front:CARD=v10,DEV=0 [ALSA]. Lord, why can't we see something simple?  However, nothing like that appears when I plug in my LH Labs Pulse DAC (which can sample up to 384k), and in fact, the software locks up and I had to pull the power and the mSD card to start over.

Jim, thoughts on this?  I bought my Pulse DAC for higher resolution than 96k and better sound than the Dragonfly. Not being able to use it seems ridiculous. JCR

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 01:35:34 pm »

If it works with one DAC, then you have the right device.  I don't know why it doesn't work with the second DAC.  Can you play an ordinary FLAC file to the second?

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 01:09:03 am »

I have had more time to test out this evening. The Halide DAC HD does work, of course only up to 24/96, using the same audio device I identified earlier in this thread for the Audioquest Dragonfly Red.  I have an Audioquest Jitterbug in front of the DAC and it seems to be working fine.  However, it would seem that any of my DACs that require a Windows driver, such as the LH Labs Pulse, won't work. You must be relying on the USB 1.1 standard, which doesn't get past 24/96?  I haven't yet tried my Meridian Explorer 2 to see if MQA files will decide through the Id/Pi 3, although I'm betting the Meridian DAC won't work because of its requirement for Windows drivers. I will check tomorrow night.

It is sounding very nice, although switching between tracks has a 10-15 second lag time -- which is really not acceptable -- and every other song I play does tend to have dropouts or quit. Jim, is this most likely because I am streaming wirelessly to a media bridge that is wired to the Pi 3 and it's just not able to handle the bitrate?  When you do MC22 for the Id/Pi 3, will the SOX conversion be in there still?  That does seem to handle the DFF or SACD ISO-to-24/176.4 multichannel conversion in my bigger system better than MC21 did. JCR

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 01:17:57 am »

Ok, Jim, I can now report some good things:

1. Meridian Explorer 2 DAC does work, up to 24/192 and also successfully decodes MQA files on the Raspberry Pi 3.  Audio Device again is the "front" selection.

2. By rebooting my wireless media bridge to apparently get a better signal, turning off the equalizer display and going headless, I've pretty much eliminated dropouts, even for ISO SACD files being decoded on the fly. The same changes have also eliminated the 10-30 second delay in switching tracks - now, it's instantaneous.

All very good.

Last remaining weirdness is that, occasionally, MC20 is crashing. It disappears from the screen (if 8 am running GUI) and from JRemote (headless).  It reappears on its own after about 30 seconds. Any explanation / fix for this glitch?

Getting close, I think, to a working arrangement.

I don't think this is a renderer setup, though, is it?  I'm still puzzled by the distinction and if it would make any difference.

Thanks again for the continued assistance. JCR

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 06:53:06 pm »

Ok I now have all DACs working and at bitrates up to DSD2X, plus MQA. To solve my streaming problem across my home, I ultimately got a Netgear EX7000 wifi extender with three aftermarket high gain antennas about 18 inches each in length. I tried Powerline and it wouldn't work.

I still do get some dropouts. Wondering if it might be related to the text on screen (headless) that appeared by itself, "-su: line 1: 2524 Killed mediacenter20/mediaserver>/dev/null 2>&1". Thoughts?  JCR

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 10:24:01 pm »

A little more color. I generally can't get through a single track before JRemote reports that the server has reset and then that's when the music stops. Happy to upload diagnostics if someone Wil let me know what needs to be looked at to curb the server resets from happening on almost every track. Thanks. JCR

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 11:20:35 pm »

Here is a dump from JRemote when the server crashes. The Den Music Player is my Raspberry Pi 3 and that's the one crashing. The CAPSZuma is my i7 server in my downstairs system. I get this same dump each crash, best I can tell.

WOL sent to MAC-address 'b8-27-eb-12-92-67'

Connecting to saved addresses

Connecting to IP: 192.168.0.88 Port: 52199

Timed out

Connecting to IP: 7X.1XX.1XX.9X Port: 52199

Response received

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<Response Status="OK">
<Item Name="RuntimeGUID">{01565DA9-ED9F-4616-9BB9-4F776900F6C9}</Item>
<Item Name="LibraryVersion">24</Item>
<Item Name="ProgramName">JRiver Media Center</Item>
<Item Name="ProgramVersion">22.0.32</Item>
<Item Name="FriendlyName">Capszuma</Item>
<Item Name="AccessKey">ZJTXXX</Item>
</Response>

Name of server is 'Capszuma'

Could not connect (Access key mismatch, wrong server)

Fetching updated addresses from jriver.com using access key 'TuYXXX'

Response received

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Response Status="OK">
<keyid>TuYXXX</keyid>
<ip>7X.1XX.1XX.9X</ip>
<port>52199</port>
<localiplist>192.168.0.88</localiplist>
<macaddresslist>b8-27-eb-12-92-67</macaddresslist>
</Response>

2 addresses found (192.168.0.88 - 7X.1XX.1XX.9X)

No new IP-addresses found. Updated addresses identical to current.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 11:59:20 am »

I still do get some dropouts. Wondering if it might be related to the text on screen (headless) that appeared by itself, "-su: line 1: 2524 Killed mediacenter20/mediaserver>/dev/null 2>&1". Thoughts?  JCR
This means the MC died for some reason and needed to be restarted (checked once a minute).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 12:01:51 pm »

Here is a dump from JRemote when the server crashes. The Den Music Player is my Raspberry Pi 3 and that's the one crashing. The CAPSZuma is my i7 server in my downstairs system. I get this same dump each crash, best I can tell.

WOL sent to MAC-address 'b8-27-eb-12-92-67'

Connecting to saved addresses

Connecting to IP: 192.168.0.88 Port: 52199

Timed out

Connecting to IP: 7X.1XX.1XX.9X Port: 52199

Response received

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<Response Status="OK">
<Item Name="RuntimeGUID">{01565DA9-ED9F-4616-9BB9-4F776900F6C9}</Item>
<Item Name="LibraryVersion">24</Item>
<Item Name="ProgramName">JRiver Media Center</Item>
<Item Name="ProgramVersion">22.0.32</Item>
<Item Name="FriendlyName">Capszuma</Item>
<Item Name="AccessKey">ZJTXXX</Item>
</Response>

Name of server is 'Capszuma'

Could not connect (Access key mismatch, wrong server)

Fetching updated addresses from jriver.com using access key 'TuYXXX'

Response received

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Response Status="OK">
<keyid>TuYXXX</keyid>
<ip>7X.1XX.1XX.9X</ip>
<port>52199</port>
<localiplist>192.168.0.88</localiplist>
<macaddresslist>b8-27-eb-12-92-67</macaddresslist>
</Response>

2 addresses found (192.168.0.88 - 7X.1XX.1XX.9X)

No new IP-addresses found. Updated addresses identical to current.
Try connecting to the Id gui and resetting the access key.

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 01:34:05 pm »

Bummer. Reset Access Key. Now, I can't generate a new one at all. I have Use Media Network to share and enable DLNA checked (I unchecked and rechecked) and authentication is set with username and password. Clicking Access Key does nothing. Reboot of device does nothing. Fing shows me that the device is up and running with a static IP that I can ping. What am I doing wrong?  JCR

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 11:29:45 am »

Bummer. Reset Access Key. Now, I can't generate a new one at all. I have Use Media Network to share and enable DLNA checked (I unchecked and rechecked) and authentication is set with username and password. Clicking Access Key does nothing. Reboot of device does nothing. Fing shows me that the device is up and running with a static IP that I can ping. What am I doing wrong?  JCR
Is something blocking the Id from accessing the internet?
It needs to be able to reach our key server to get a new access key...

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2016, 03:40:05 pm »

Hi Bob.  I can control the RPi3 from my office outside the home as a zone within my CAPS server running MC22, which server has its own Access Key.  Certainly, the RPi3 is ethernet connected to a wifi range expander that I know gets to the internet, as I have connected other devices to that range expander.  How would I definitely determine if the RPi3 itself is seeing the internet?

And since I am using the RPi3 as a renderer off of my internet connected server, is there any reason I care whether or not I can generate a new Access Key for the RPi3?  I have lag times between commands from JRemote to the RPi3, periodic crashing of the RPi3 and no ability to play DFF or SACD ISO files, but I assume the Access Key won't affect that, yes?  Thanks.  JCR

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 04:01:37 pm »

I'm a bit confused as to what you are doing when you get the crash.
Is JRemote connecting to the Id or to a different MC server device (PC)?
Your source material is on what device?

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 09:58:16 am »

Hi Bob.  I have an i7 server running MC22 in my lower level.  That is the server whose Access Key I use in JRemote.  My RPi3 running MC20 in my den, two floors above, appears as a zone within the i7 server.  The RPi3 is set as a renderer and not as a server or controller.  So, the reason I can see and control the RPi3 outside of my home is because I can get to the i7 server through JRemote and the i7 Access Key and see the RPi3 as a zone within.

Crashing occurs spontaneously from time to time while simply listening to music.  On my screen, the MC20 GUI disappears.  It usually reappears about a minute later, but I have to re-select my music and start over.

The RPi3 is not seeing the internet.  Under help, when I select Support Forum, it opens a Firebox window that is not connecting to the internet.  Yet, the RPi3 is ethernet connected to an Asus router set as a repeater.  I have other wifi enabled devices in my den connecting to the Asus and they see the internet, so I don't understand why the RPi3 isn't also seeing the internet.  Is there some switch to turn internet access on or off in MC20 on the RPi3?

I have now enabled logging in the help section.  The first thing I did was try to play an SACD ISO file which, if you read earlier in my posts, you will see that it begins to open but stops before playing.  When I go to open the current log, MC20 crashes without opening the log file itself.  So, I can't even get to the log file, which would be a twofer to show what is happening both with SACD ISOs not playing and now the MC20 crashing on opening the log file itself.

Thoughts on how I proceed?  Thanks.  JCR

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 10:34:30 am »

Hi Bob.  I have an i7 server running MC22 in my lower level.  That is the server whose Access Key I use in JRemote.  My RPi3 running MC20 in my den, two floors above, appears as a zone within the i7 server.  The RPi3 is set as a renderer and not as a server or controller.  So, the reason I can see and control the RPi3 outside of my home is because I can get to the i7 server through JRemote and the i7 Access Key and see the RPi3 as a zone within.

Crashing occurs spontaneously from time to time while simply listening to music.  On my screen, the MC20 GUI disappears.  It usually reappears about a minute later, but I have to re-select my music and start over.

The RPi3 is not seeing the internet.  Under help, when I select Support Forum, it opens a Firebox window that is not connecting to the internet.  Yet, the RPi3 is ethernet connected to an Asus router set as a repeater.  I have other wifi enabled devices in my den connecting to the Asus and they see the internet, so I don't understand why the RPi3 isn't also seeing the internet.  Is there some switch to turn internet access on or off in MC20 on the RPi3?

I have now enabled logging in the help section.  The first thing I did was try to play an SACD ISO file which, if you read earlier in my posts, you will see that it begins to open but stops before playing.  When I go to open the current log, MC20 crashes without opening the log file itself.  So, I can't even get to the log file, which would be a twofer to show what is happening both with SACD ISOs not playing and now the MC20 crashing on opening the log file itself.

Thoughts on how I proceed?  Thanks.  JCR
Option 11 on the main menu returns the Id's IP address.
The default route comes from the DHCP server normally but you've set a static Ip address so you need to add the default gateway and nameserver as well.
Another way of doing this is to change it back to using DHCP and set a fixed lease to a particular address on your router for the Id MAC address which you can also see in main menu option 11.
Logging isn't recommended on the Id Pi for anything other that short tests because the SDCard is limited in size and throughput.

Since you are doing hires material you should setup a DLNA server specifically for your Id on the MC22 PC.
I'd start with a Generic DLNA server and turn audio format to original and enable bitrate in the advanced options.
Associate that server with the Id by right-clicking on your Id zone on the MC22 PC and find the associate with DLNA server option.

You may run into some situations where the source material can't be handled on the RPI. Set up DSP studio on the Id to handle those configurations.

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2016, 11:37:48 am »

OK, Bob.  Two parts to this.

Networking:

I am no networking expert, so let me take you through the settings I am doing:

Under selection 13, Network Manager, I select properties for my wired network.

I have static IP checked, with IP 192.168.0.88, Netmask 255.255.255.0 and Gateway 192.168.0.1 (my main router).

I use Comcast so I have DNS domain set at 75.75.75.75 and search domain at http://www.comcast.com

For DNS Server 1, I have put in the same address that I have in JRemote, to wit 73.185.XXX.XX.  I have nothing in under DNS Server 2 or 3.

I checked the Use Encryption box and put in my username and password to match what I use in JRemote. 

With this, when I select Use Global DNS Servers, I get an error message that says that Global DNS has not been enabled in general preference.  Of course, I don't know where "general preference" is located.  :)

Hi Res:

I created a new DLNA share on the MC22 server called Den Music Player DLNA.  Under Audio, Mode is set at Original, Format is set at PCM 24 Bit and Advanced has ...DSP Studio... under it, but I can't make any selection there.  Under Video/Advanced, I have the DLNA, DLNAExtra and Enable bitrate Field boxes checked.  I selected the Den Music Player zone and associated it with this new DLNA share.

On the RPi3, I already had the sample rate in DSP Studio adjusted to reduce 352.8 to 176.4, 384 to 192 and greater than 384 to 176.4.  I rebooted the RPi3.

Same result.  SACD ISO pops up on GUI for a moment as opening, then stops.  JRemote reports it as an SACD file and has the album art pulled up, but no playback.  JCR

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2016, 03:18:23 pm »

Bob, I'm just giving this a bump so that you might offer your continued thoughts. I can tell you that setting a separate DLNA share just for the RPi3 has substantially improved the responsiveness and, at the moment, the repetitive crashing. But we still have the internet connctivility and SACD/DFF issues yet to resolve. Thanks. JCR

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2016, 09:55:53 am »

OK, Bob.  Two parts to this.

Networking:

I am no networking expert, so let me take you through the settings I am doing:

Under selection 13, Network Manager, I select properties for my wired network.

I have static IP checked, with IP 192.168.0.88, Netmask 255.255.255.0 and Gateway 192.168.0.1 (my main router).

I use Comcast so I have DNS domain set at 75.75.75.75 and search domain at http://www.comcast.com

For DNS Server 1, I have put in the same address that I have in JRemote, to wit 73.185.XXX.XX.  I have nothing in under DNS Server 2 or 3.

I checked the Use Encryption box and put in my username and password to match what I use in JRemote. 

With this, when I select Use Global DNS Servers, I get an error message that says that Global DNS has not been enabled in general preference.  Of course, I don't know where "general preference" is located.  :)

Don't use global DNS.
You could try 8.8.8.8 for dns 1 and 8.8.4.4 for dns2
comcast may block the google dns however but give it a try.
The search domain should be blank.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 01:49:23 pm »

Hi Res:

I created a new DLNA share on the MC22 server called Den Music Player DLNA.  Under Audio, Mode is set at Original, Format is set at PCM 24 Bit and Advanced has ...DSP Studio... under it, but I can't make any selection there.  Under Video/Advanced, I have the DLNA, DLNAExtra and Enable bitrate Field boxes checked.  I selected the Den Music Player zone and associated it with this new DLNA share.

On the RPi3, I already had the sample rate in DSP Studio adjusted to reduce 352.8 to 176.4, 384 to 192 and greater than 384 to 176.4.  I rebooted the RPi3.

Same result.  SACD ISO pops up on GUI for a moment as opening, then stops.  JRemote reports it as an SACD file and has the album art pulled up, but no playback.  JCR
I don't think you can play a SACD iso over DLNA to linux MC (Id) since there is no iso support in linux MC yet.

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2016, 08:06:56 pm »

That would explain, in part. Is not MC20 on the RPi3 side decoding the ISO to a 176.4 file, or are you saying that within Linux, it can't pass the file to MC20 to actually do so?  Is this the same explanation then for why DFF files, even set to be decoded by MC20 in the RPi3, suffer the same fate?  Since the RPi3 is acting only as a renderer, is there any way to set MC22 on my i7 server to decode SACD ISOs and DFF files to 176.4 on that end, and then pass the 176.4 file to the RPi3?  Of course, I'd want this to happen just for the RPi3 zone and not for my files being played directly on the i7 server in my bigger system.

I look forward to the continued dialogue.  Thanks, Bob. JCR

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2016, 09:13:57 am »

Also, no effect on connecting to internet with adding the Google DNSs. When connecting to JRiver to check for updates, the text goes into an endless loop trying to connect to the server. What now?  Thanks, Bob JCR

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2016, 11:07:50 am »

Figured it out. With DNS Domain and DNS Server 1 both at 75.75.75.75 and DNS Server 2 at 75.75.76.76, networking works. Access Key popped up and I was able to update the RPi3 from the MC server. JCR

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 12:47:57 am »

To finish out the loop, I now have three RPi3s running nicely in three different systems in the house.  All are renderers with static IP addresses running off of my i7 server linked to their own separate DLNA shares on that server.  In the end, I would guess that the lag time to select between songs on the Den Music Player is because of the least strong wifi signal making it to the repeater/client in that room.  The other two RPi3s are located in spots easier to access the wifi repeater/client and JRemote for those RPi3s is very responsive.

Just as a note, the DACs for the two newer RPi3s have SPIDF inputs and I am successfully using Bel Canto u-Links for those two setups to convert the USB output to SPIDF.  A lot of wires, but it sounds very nice.

Bob, when would you expect that the MC firmware will receive an update to work with SACD ISOs and DFF files?

I will finally note that WAV files seem now not to play, but I have but a few of those and could convert them to FLAC files.  I will work on that on my own....Cheers.  JCR

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 10:46:59 am »

I don't know when the Id MC will be able to play iso's. That capability doesn't exist in MC 22 on either linux or mac.
There are a few things like that and cd ripping that are on the todo list.

LawshrinkMD

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2017, 09:14:32 am »

SACD iso is working fine on my new MC22 Id Pi, and DSD128 as well, bitstreaming over USB into my PS Audio Nuwave DSD. Are you still having issues?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2017, 09:54:28 am »

SACD iso is working fine on my new MC22 Id Pi, and DSD128 as well, bitstreaming over USB into my PS Audio Nuwave DSD. Are you still having issues?
SACD iso directly on the Pi I assume. The issues come in with the SACD iso over Media Network IIRC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up