INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Artist Selection Feature Request  (Read 933 times)

Jamil

• Galactic Citizen
Multiple Artist Selection Feature Request
« on: April 02, 2017, 08:38:00 am »

Here's My Current Difficulty Using The Latest MC22:

I have tons of duplicate files from different CDs due to the artist name from my file's tags being different.  My attachments illustrate this issue.

I have two different greatest hits CDs that have several of identical songs.  The artist from one CD is Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes.  The artist from the second CD is Teddy Pendergrass.  Regardless of this, several of the same songs are identical.  What I want to do is use the stacking feature to consolidate these identical songs into a single library item.

What makes this tough currently is that I cannot make multiple selections by holding the CTRL key of several artists to then show songs for.  The UI does not support the CTRL and/or SHIFT keys for multiple selections.  My request is to allow me to hold down CTRL while left clicking as many artists in the library to then show all content for all artists I have selected.  This way I can more easily stack the duplicates.

My alternative for now has been to use the files view and sort all content by name.  The difficulty with this approach is I have thousands and thousands of songs.  This massive list takes forever to scroll through and I end up giving up scrolling through the list.

My Feature Request:

Honor both the SHIFT and CTRL keys to allow multiple selections from what you click at the top of the tree within the library.  In my example, I would expand the Artists tree node, click Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, hold down CTRL, then click Teddy Pendergrass.  The result of this will be that both of these artists get selected, and all content from both selections show in the files detail view.

Is this request clear?  Does this make sense?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Multiple Artist Selection Feature Request
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 09:00:53 am »

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do with stacks.  I wouldn't recommend breaking apart your albums even if they have one or two songs in common.  I believe in keeping albums whole.  Of course you can do what you want; I'm just expressing my opinion.

What you are describing can easily be done with a Panes based view.  Instead of selecting artists in the Left Navigation area, you'd select them in the Artists Pane in a Panes view.  Control and shift both work inside of Panes.

Good luck.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 09:03:26 am »

Take a look at the Album Artist tag for the two CD's.

Jamil

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 09:09:36 am »

Thanks for the response.  I found a way to get the results I wanted by continuing to use Files view with my sort on name.  Afterward, I use the Search in the upper right of the UI followed by using the Wizard.  In the Wizard, I can select specific artists I want and limit all files to only those artists.  This achieves what I wanted to do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up