INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: newbie help - playlist transfer  (Read 1703 times)

BVPHAZE3

newbie help - playlist transfer
« on: April 09, 2017, 01:46:57 pm »

Hello all,

I just purchased a Sony Walkman nw-a37.  I am using a Mac and the latest version of MC.  I have my walkman loaded with music.  I made a couple of playlists on MC using the same songs on the Walkman.  When I try to transfer the playlist, it wants to send the media with it, this causes space issues.  What is the proper way to send a playlist to the device with our copying the media as well?  Can someone please give me a step by step 'how to' on this?  Sorry if this has already  been discussed.  I did search the forums and could not find any help.

Thanks to everyone that reads this and takes the time to answer!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: newbie help - playlist transfer
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 04:39:11 pm »

The Handheld Sync tool is designed to do exactly what you said it tries to do:  Transfer the music files *and* the Playlists together.  For a lot of people, they will have music on their computer first and then use the Handheld Sync tool to copy that music, and playlists, over to their handheld device.

MC has a menu item to export playlists as just playlists.  File > Export Playlist
This should copy a playlist file to your hard drive and you can then move that over to your handheld.  The unknown part here is that the playlists normally use a file name to reference the songs.  ...and the filenames of the files on your computer, and the files on your handheld are probably going to be different.  At the very least the file path (directory structure) is probably different.

You might be able to make it work with a simple substitution in the exported playlists.  Like using Find and Replace in a text editor and replacing C:\My Dir\Music with /SDCard/Music .  That's just a made up example, but I hope you see what I'm trying to illustrate.

It might be easier if you just start from scratch on your handheld.  Make sure you have ALL of the music from your handheld on your computer with MC. Then erase the entire handheld.  Finally, use MC to sync one or more playlists, AND the music files at the same time.  Then MC will be able to make the playlist files correctly.

There is probably another way of doing this too.  Maybe someone else will have a clever idea or two.

Brian.

BVPHAZE3

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 03:48:51 pm »

Thanks for the advice!  But, no luck yet.  I erased everything off the hand held.  I made 3 playlists on the MC (all files, chill, upbeat)  Every song was put into the 'all files' playlist.  Songs from the 'all files' list were then put into the 'chill' or 'upbeat' playlists.  I transferred over using the handheld sync function.  all the files transferred, but no playlists are showing on the handheld (nw-a37 walkman).  frustrating.  I have hours spent doing this.  There must be a easier way.  If anybody has step by step guides, please help! 

Looking at your advice on exporting playlist changing file path... What format do I use to export the list?  Pretty confusing.  This should be such a basic easy feature/function.

Thanks again and any help is greatly appreciated.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 05:12:51 pm »

The playlists might need to go to a specific folder on your handheld.    Notice that in the Handheld definition, you have an options button that pulls up a BUNCH of stuff you can change.  Try Files and Paths > Playlists .  That controls where the playlist files get transferred to.

I'm sorry I don't have specific instructions for your walkman.  I'm not familiar with it's file layout or how it connects or anything.  The good news is, you have the file transfer working!  So you're almost all the way there.  It's just a matter of figuring out where to put the playlists and *then* whether the playlists should use relative or absolute paths.  Shouldn't be too bad at all.

As for exporting individual playlists, I would try M3U format, as that is the most common and the most compatible with most devices.  But I actually wouldn't try that yet.  I'd try the above first.

Good luck.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up