INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP Studio configuration: Channels and Subwoofer (for hi-end loudspeakers)  (Read 2283 times)

cron0sRXR8

• Galactic Citizen

I have Hi-end stereo loudspeakers and a ASIO stereo DAC. I don't have multichannel sound System. I want to listen all movies 5.1 or 7.1 in stereo 2.0.

I don't have a simple subwoofer but my monitor stereo speakers have a Mid/bass driver that accept until 40Hz.
http://kudosaudio.com/c10/

The Frequency range of my loudspeakers are 40Hz – 30kHz AIRR (average in-room response).

What configuration of DSP Studio do you recommend me?

Channels: 2
Mixxing: JRSS mixxing
Subwoofer: JRSS Subwoofer (120 low-pass)

The subwoofer is: the sound frequencies below 120 are remixed with mid frequencies? In my case would not it be better to reduce the cut to 40Hz?

I don't want that mp3 files in stereo listen bad for this configuration. Is it necessary create a concrete configuration for movies and a concrete configuration for stereo músic? with zones system of JRiver.

Thank you.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

the link doesn't mention a subwoofer, it is just a 2 way ported speaker. In which case you just downmix to stereo with no subwoofer specified. Given these are ported speakers and you plan to play movie content, you may want to add an appropriate high pass filter on the L and R channels to prevent low frequencies potentially overloading your speaker. If you want to do this then you can add them via PEQ.

cron0sRXR8

• Galactic Citizen

the link doesn't mention a subwoofer, it is just a 2 way ported speaker. In which case you just downmix to stereo with no subwoofer specified. Given these are ported speakers and you plan to play movie content, you may want to add an appropriate high pass filter on the L and R channels to prevent low frequencies potentially overloading your speaker. If you want to do this then you can add them via PEQ.

sorry for my poor english.
Yes, it is not a subwoofer, this is a Mid/bass driver but they accept frequencies until 40Hz.
So, it is ok?

cron0sRXR8

• Galactic Citizen

the low frequencies can be played with this type of speaker. So I don't need a subwoofer.
I prefer low frequencies not mixxed with mid frequencies.
Is it possible do it this?

I want get the best sound possible with my speakers.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team

the jrss subwoofer only does anything if the output format includes a .1 so this means it won't do anything when channels is set to 2.

If you want to discard content under 45Hz then I would just add a high pass filter in PEQ, of course you can choose the corner frequency and slope to your preference

kr4

• MC Beta Team

I prefer low frequencies not mixxed with mid frequencies.
Is it possible do it this?
Not with your speakers since you do not have separate woofer and midrange drivers.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

cron0sRXR8

• Galactic Citizen

I'm sorry, I need to clarify one basic concept:

In "Output format" in "Subwoofer" what is, for example "120Hz low pass"?
If I have 7.1 or 5.1, the .1: ¿does 120Hz or lower frequencies are NOT included in Stereo remix?

If I select "downmix all frequencies" is not better for my speakers? So you do not lose any data.
Pages: [1]   Go Up