INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDHomeRun Prime not always showing  (Read 2879 times)

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
HDHomeRun Prime not always showing
« on: April 19, 2017, 05:44:01 pm »

I have been having this issue for sure since I added my second HDHR Prime a few years ago.  After a reboot of my TV server more often than not, the Primes never show up in the manage devices.  Then, I will reboot, and they show, and they may not.  It may take up to 3 reboots to have all 6 tuners show.

Any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: HDHomeRun Prime not always showing
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 05:57:42 pm »

There has been some discussion about power supply problems in the last week or so.  Maybe jmone?

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 06:05:33 pm »

not beyond possibility, but doubtful.  The web interface still shows, which at least implies that it is up and running, and if it was power supply issues, then I wouldn't think it would manifest ONLY on a reboot.  I don't have any issues recording, and typically the server is up for weeks or months at a time.  So once it is up and the primes have been found, then they don't have any issues at all.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 07:09:49 pm »

There have been issues with this in the past, but I thought they were all fixed. What version and update of MC are you running?

Try looking through these threads;
https://www.google.com.au/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=Fvr3WP_tLqvM8gf5xIbIBA&gws_rd=ssl#q=%22HDHomeRun+Prime%22+%22Manage+Devices%22+site:yabb.jriver.com&spf=714
Some good stuff here;
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=101377.0

However, when you say the tuners "never show up in the manage devices", how long do you actually wait for the to show up? Because the HDHomeRun Primes need to be "discovered" on the network, and that can take a little time. I believe that is because it is dependent on the DLNA discovery process. You probably also would need to exit the Manage Devices display and reenter it to see any changes, but I'm sure you would be doing that.

Also, if you aren't having any trouble with recordings, is that even though the tuners haven't showed up in Managed Devices? Because if so, MC knows about the tuners, but just hasn't displayed them in the dialogue. Again, possibly a refresh or timing issue.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 07:57:38 pm »

Usually such devices show in MC within 20 to 60 seconds.  There are times (maybe when MC missed the first round of signal - I believe we listen for UDP broadcast data, which is not guaranteed to be received) when it may take several minutes.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 08:37:23 pm »

What version and update of MC are you running?
I just upgraded to MC 22 build 97, but it also happened on all MC 21 builds for as long as I remember.
Try looking through these threads;
https://www.google.com.au/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=Fvr3WP_tLqvM8gf5xIbIBA&gws_rd=ssl#q=%22HDHomeRun+Prime%22+%22Manage+Devices%22+site:yabb.jriver.com&spf=714
Some good stuff here;
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=101377.0
Thanks!
However, when you say the tuners "never show up in the manage devices", how long do you actually wait for the to show up? Because the HDHomeRun Primes need to be "discovered" on the network, and that can take a little time. I believe that is because it is dependent on the DLNA discovery process. You probably also would need to exit the Manage Devices display and reenter it to see any changes, but I'm sure you would be doing that.
Yes, I have tried waiting, exiting, etc.  Sometimes if I close MC (including MC server) and relaunch it will come back, but most times it takes a reboot.
Also, if you aren't having any trouble with recordings, is that even though the tuners haven't showed up in Managed Devices? Because if so, MC knows about the tuners, but just hasn't displayed them in the dialogue. Again, possibly a refresh or timing issue.
No, I have gotten into the habit of checking after a reboot, and making sure they come back.  I have also tried watching TV while in a broken state, and it doesn't work.

It is possible that I just didn't wait long enough after installing MC 22, and it has been fixed.  I will do a couple reboots and be sure to wait at least 2 minutes before checking.

I'll report back.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 08:55:54 pm »

It looks like I did jump the gun. 

I will say that it may take longer than 2 minutes.  The first 2 reboots it worked within about 1 - 2 minutes.  The 3rd test seemed to take forever.  After about 3-4 minutes I got the 1st 3 tuners.  It took a full 6 minutes after that for the other 3 to show up.  I will say that I finally stopped checking and closed the GUI for 2 minutes before the last check.  I suppose it is possible that I just needed to leave it alone long enough to let it 'do it's thing'.

At any rate, it seems to work better now.

Thanks!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 10:58:35 pm »

Good you got it working, but this;

Sometimes if I close MC (including MC server) and relaunch it will come back, but most times it takes a reboot.

tells me that it could be your network card/motherboard port. I have a good, though somewhat ageing motherboard that uses a "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller", which should be robust. But very occasionally I still lose all network connections, and it requires a reboot to get them back. Sometimes it just takes a while for the network to re-establish itself. Annoying, but nothing is going to fix that except a motherboard upgrade, or a separate PCIe network card. Not worth the occasional hassle. Networks can still be fickle beasts. Particularly when it comes to (UDP in this case) broadcast packet data. Or maybe it is just Windows having a crisis.

So it may not be MC, but your network.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 12:43:11 am »

Possible that it is my network, but I don't think it is anything that is bad.  I work in Networks for a living for a software company, and was a Network Engineer for years before that, so I have a pretty solid network at home.  With that being said, it is certainly possible a setting on the switch is causing an issue.  I will look into it.  It does still seem weird to me though that sometimes it finds them fast, and sometimes it takes forever.  I suspect that maybe I might have a HDHR Prime going bad since it seems that it will find the first one within 1-2 minutes, but the second takes longer sometimes.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 05:57:21 pm »

If not something quirky in the network, back to the power supply comment. If the HDHomeRun Prime is old, the power supply may be on the way out, which can mean lots of strange problems.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 02:43:28 pm »

I'll swap the power supplies and see if it follows the PSU.
Pages: [1]   Go Up