INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help: Wireless connection from PC to stereo  (Read 1987 times)

bobe4

• Junior Woodchuck
Help: Wireless connection from PC to stereo
« on: June 11, 2003, 05:10:09 pm »

I am seeking to establish a wireless connection between my PC running MC9 and a stereo upstairs (it's too far to run wires).  I looked at:

Kima which transmits to 88.1 but has a inteferance

RCA Lyra Wireless RD900W $99 which is a digital signal so no interferance, but doesn't work with MC9 to my knowledge

motorola simplefi which doesn't work with MC9 and apparently has a real bad media library program.

This brings up a related question - can programs like MusicMatch or WMPlayer read my playlists, ratings, and comment field I've developed in MC9 - I have a lot of codes in the comment field I use in searches to sort file?  If so how do i do it?)

Please help me liberorate (we'll work on my spelling later) my music!

bobe4

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Help: Wireless connection from PC to stereo
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 05:12:48 pm »

Also, I read tht they were thinking of maybe someday working on compatability with simplefi, does anyone know if there is compatability with the RCA RD900W or any other wireless transmitter of a reasonable price?

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2003, 09:14:35 pm »

Why wouldn't the Lyra work?  Isn't it just a USB audio device?
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

kwake

• World Citizen
  • Excellent piece of software, this Media Center...
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 12:34:51 am »

I set my parents up with one of these last Christmas:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F002%5F008%5F009&product%5Fid=15%2D2572

The unit will transmit/receive audio and video signals. I set his up to send the output of his PC soundcard downstairs to his home stereo system input so they can listen to MP3s without having to sit in front of the PC.

They could also alternatively use it to send the video from their DVD player in the basement upstairs to the little TV they have in their room if they wanted to.

Works like a charm, however beware of the frequency - some newer portable telephones use 2.4 Ghz...(luckily, theirs doesn't as it's the older 900Mhz variety). :)

Kwake

bobe4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 10:24:13 pm »

Well I tried a number of different options:

1. Radio shack wireless 2.4ghz audio video thing (I bought an older version on ebay).  Conflicted with my wireless network which is also 2.4

2. Radio shack phone line network audio video thing.  Works well.  Although I get a little noice in my left channel (but not the right!).

3. Lyra wireless.  It has a clean sound, and so far no conflict (it's 900 mhz and I have a 900 mhz phone).  I set up two receivers and was able to get both to receive the signal from one unit.  Sounds like a great answer... except MC treats it as a second sound card so I can't get MC to play teh same music through my soundcard to my living room and the same music to the family room through the wireless lyra.  So until MC comes out with a sync feature I will be stuck.

None of the options satisfied me, since I want to play the same music through out the house (so locations have phone lines or are close to the stereo and some can only be accessed wirelessly).  If I can find lyra's cheap I may just put one in each room.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2003, 10:43:58 pm »

No matter how far it is, a wired audio connection even with the cheapest Radio Shack wire will always be better than any wireless solution. I have 100 feet and more running through my house, and it even carries SPDIF sound without any dropouts and problems.  8)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
X10 devices
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2003, 05:10:50 am »

I'm using something like the RS thing from above, but I got mine at some X10 site.  Doesn't conflict with my wifi lan or cordless phone, not sure what freqs are being used.  Each unit has up to 4 channels that can be used for broadcast/recv.

I have two senders hooked up, one to each zone (soundcard) and two receivers so that the upstairs can be on the downstairs zone or on it's own zone depending on which input is selected on the local receiver unit.

openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s
Pages: [1]   Go Up