INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dragged and dropped from large playlist to folder  (Read 1947 times)

David353

• Recent member
Dragged and dropped from large playlist to folder
« on: May 07, 2017, 07:21:28 am »

OK.  Let me explain what I was trying to do.  I thought if I highlighted all files in a playlist, I could get a copy of them in a Windows folder.

I highlighter all of the files in the playlist -- 50+ files,  and dragged into a folder.

It seems that JRiver has behaved in a strange and rather disastrous way, and I can't undo.  (Note added:  on reflection, it was almost certainly Windows which did this, not JRiver!)

It moved rather than copied the files from where they were.  But it did not update the library.

The playlist won't play now.  It seems that there is nothing to do but manually find out where all those files should be and move them back.

UNDO won't work.  Anything I can do?

Thanks.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Dragged and dropped from large playlist to folder
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 07:30:41 am »

try restoring a previous backup before you did that....

the undo you speak of...was this in MC or the windows folder?

what was the purpose of you doing this...maybe a better solution to what and why.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

David353

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 07:56:51 am »

The Undo attempted was in JRiver MC itself.

OK,  I didn't do a backup.  ( I've just started using JRiver). :-X   I wasn't expecting any harm from this action.

By the way, is there a backup feature, or does one have to read the manual and figure out how to do a backup?

Actually, what I was trying to do was experimental.  And what I was ultimately trying to do is make a sort of reliable 'Record' feature I asked about earlier.   But what and why I was trying to do this will be a bit of a diversion I think. But I'll tell you if you want to know. I had noticed that from iTunes, when I drag and drop the selections in a playlist, they appear in the playlist order in the destination folder.  I had hoped to drag and drop these into some tool for joining audio files.

As I say, this was only an experiment.  I did not have very high hopes of it's working, but it was worth a try.  Anyway it failed, but the surprise is that my library is now corrupted.

~OHM~

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 08:06:32 am »

MC makes backups auto...look to tools options...on the bottom of the options page is a search box type in backup to see where they are stored....choose one just before you made the move....

have a read here....

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

I don't believe MC would actually move those files, unless it is told to do so by using a different tool within MC and you were no where near that tool....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

David353

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 08:47:04 am »

It was probably Windows who moved the files.  When you drop from one application into another, it is surely the one which is dropped INTO which determines what happens.  If I had Ctrl- down so that it copied, I would probably have been OK.  This was my mistake, not JRiver's.

The backup isn't 'deep', right?  It backs up the library, not the files, or.....

If it was windows which moved them,  will the backup be useless to me?

Thanks.

~OHM~

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 08:50:08 am »

well the backup does not make backups of the media but if your MC data base is corrupt it will fix that...do you have a backup of your media that you can restore and then restore MC backup to get back your playlist!?

David353

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 09:01:11 am »

TAO, I don't want to do what you last said because I have deleted a number of files from my media from inside MC.  I had a lot of duplicate songs (not exactly the same file, but different mp3s of the same track).  If I 'restore' my media, all those duplicate songs will come back into my media, and I want them gone.

But I should be OK:

I have a tentative plan to fix things in a not-overly tedious and not error-prone way.

The playlist should be uncorrupted in MC.  I can export it as CSV, I can load it into Excel and I will have a column with the full path name.  Then I can manipulate in Excel and output a text file of the form:

copy   file1   file1fullpath
copy   file2   file2fullpath
copy   file2   file2fullpath

Then I can 'run' this in the Windows shell with the default directory being the folder I dropped to.

It's actually 82 files, not just 50, so doing it automated is important.

Lesson learned!

~OHM~

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 09:27:37 am »

OK...glad you got it figured out...I been around MC since 18 and am still learning on the fly...

goodluck

MC is a very powerful weapon...

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 09:43:50 am »

David,

After you fix your current problem, you almost certainly want to use the Handheld Sync tool.  It's purpose is to copy files and playlists to external media.  Like to put music on a portable player, or a USB drive for your car or something.  It's pretty much exactly your application.  It only lacks the ability to concatenate all the files together.  But it *does* copy the playlist, so any player that reads playlists should be able to play the whole thing in order.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync_Handheld

I would sync this to a directory on disk, or directly to some sort of removable media. Do some experiments with a small number of files, and you should get it working.

Good luck,

Brian.

David353

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 02:03:00 pm »

Thanks Brian.  I'll do that!
Pages: [1]   Go Up