INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server not working on DLNA Media Player [Solved by replacing router]  (Read 4658 times)

moe14

• Recent member

Hello Everyone,

I'm having strange behavior with DLNA Media Player not working properly in 1 of 2 Zones in my home.

Here's the environment:
Media Center 22 (22.0.93) installed on Mac Mini (late 2014, 2.6 GHz, 8GB of RAM, 1TB disk drive, MacOs Sierra 10.12).
I have a main listening room (Zone A)
I have a family listening room (Zone B)
All equipment is connected via ethernet and on the same LAN.

Here's the issue:
When Selecting "Media Player" from my Roku or any device on my network (Let's call it Zone B) the player appears once and does not allow me to connect, and then the player disappears and never appears again.
In other words no Media Center icon appears. On the Roku it continues to say "Waiting for Media Player" On other devices the Media Player list is empty.

When using the same device from another location in my home (Let's Call it Zone B) Media Center appears when I select Media Server from the Roku device or any other device in in Zone B.

Trouble shooting:

1) I first thought the network switch was bad in Zone B, so I replaced it.

2) Then I thought the device was bad in Zone B so I tried the same device in Zone A and it worked as expected.

3) Next I tried to see what the latency was on the network on Zone A and Zone B. Zone A was 1.7 ms and Zone B was 0.4 ms as reported when doing a ping from the Mac mini which is hosting the Media Center 22 software to the IP address of the device that was the DLNA Receiver (in this case a Roku).

In summary Media Player works as expected in Zone A (Media Center appears and I can play music).
In Zone B, Media Center does not appear when Media Player is selected and when it does appear it stops working after a few songs and Media Center icon disappears; this happens across all of  of my devices that support DLNA Media Player.

Are there configuration settings that will eliminate this behavior or log files that I can review to see if Media Center is throwing errors.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

moe14

• Recent member
Re: Media Server not working on DLNA Media Player
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 01:26:19 pm »

...another way to investigate this issue:

How does Media Server (JRiver MC) query the network for Media Players (Roku, Oppo, A/V Receivers, PS4, etc) that are DLNA compliant?
Are there known networking behavior (restrictions) that may impede the query?

By the way...on the networking side, I am using Netgear WNDR3800 Router(with the latest firmware), and Netgear switches.

Just doing a little brainstorming to get to the bottom of this. Perhaps there are some Server side or Networking configuration changes that I can make to get Media Players to show up consistently across all Zones in my setup.

Thanks.

moe14

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 01:28:51 pm »

Anyone from JRiver support care to weigh in on this issue? I'm in evaluation mode, and like the MC very much; however, I need to get to the bottom of this DLNA issue. It's really strange that I have it working in one room of the house (Zone A), but not in others. I realize that this may not be a JRiver Media Center issue, but not being able to access Media Players (via DLNA) makes the Media Center not as useful for me.

I appreciate any help on this issue.

Thanks.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 02:11:17 pm »

I don't know a lot about this subject; just a little.  DLNA, as I understand it, relies upon broadcasts in order to locate other DLNA devices.  So, if your devices are on different subnets (IP address spaces) they won't see each other because the broadcasts don't go from network to network; only within the same network.  I'm not sure if this applies to you or not.

There is a forum dedicated to network devices, configuration, etc with MC right here in Interact.  You should probably start a thread there about this subject where it will get attention from people who know about that kind of thing.  The Mac board doesn't get a lot of attention and is generally restricted to Mac specific stuff.

Good luck!  I hope you enjoy MC on the Mac.

Brian.

moe14

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 02:31:24 pm »

Thanks Brian. I took your advice and started a thread on the Networking Board.

moe14

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 04:52:33 pm »

Problem solved. Bad Router. Replaced router and Media Center and DLNA devices working as expected.
Pages: [1]   Go Up