INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver MC and iTunes  (Read 5156 times)

Lutg

JRiver MC and iTunes
« on: May 09, 2017, 01:32:30 pm »

Greetings!

I have used iTunes as my music player for many years, but am moving more into high resolution music and iTunes has some limitations in that respect.  So I'm looking for a music player that will support more formats, and adjust the output bit rate to match the source file.

My set-up is:  iTunes on a Mac Pro --> Optical output --> External DAC --> Amplifier --> Speakers

I'd like to let the DAC handle the processing.  What I need is a player that will read the file and output bit perfect at the correct frequency.  I have read that JRiver MC will do that, correct?

I also need to continue using iTunes to sync with various Apple iPods and iPhones.  Can JRiver MC and iTunes work from the same directories of music files without getting in each other's way?  My music collection is too large to have two copies on my hard drive.

Thank you!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver MC and iTunes
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 05:42:47 am »

My set-up is:  iTunes on a Mac Pro --> Optical output --> External DAC --> Amplifier --> Speakers

Note that *most* optical outputs are only good up to 96kHz sampling rate.  Some will play 192kHz, but I've been told it's very spotty:  Some do, some don't, some do it unreliably.  So you might want to consider a USB connection to your DAC instead, which can pass 192kHz reliably.

I'd like to let the DAC handle the processing.  What I need is a player that will read the file and output bit perfect at the correct frequency.  I have read that JRiver MC will do that, correct?

Yes.  As you previously indicated, MC will set the sample rate and bit depth for each song as MC plays them and send them at their native rate to your DAC.  Of course your DAC must support these rates in order to play the files. If there are some rates your DAC doesn't support, you can individually configure each sample rate to be converted to another.  For example, with my DAC, I have everything above 192kHz set to down convert to 192, as my DAC doesn't go any higher than that.  Everything else gets passed through at the original sample rate.

I also need to continue using iTunes to sync with various Apple iPods and iPhones.  Can JRiver MC and iTunes work from the same directories of music files without getting in each other's way?  My music collection is too large to have two copies on my hard drive.

That can get kind of sticky.  Especially if you are using itunes to change tags.  I've never tried this as I dumped my last i-device years ago.  I'm an Apple fan, but their closed ecosystem on the i-devices makes it difficult to work with.

Anyway, you might want to try some experiments.  Maybe make a copy of 30 to 50 of your favorite albums to a new folder.  Then have both MC and Itunes use this folder as their source of music.  In MC this is trivial.  I'm not sure if you can set up a new separate library in itunes.  I *think* you can, but I can't remember how.

It's also possible to export files from MC into a temporary directory each time you want to sync.  Then have itunes pick up those files and sync them to your i-devices.  Again, you'd need to experiment as I have ZERO practical experience with this.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Good luck.

Brian.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 09:10:49 pm »

Like you I used iTunes for many years but I have been on MC for several versions.  I maintain a single file structure library that I point both iTunes and JRiver MC to and I have not had any problems what so ever.  I still use iTunes, probably more out of habit than necessity, for basic metadata tagging and changing or upgrading art.  Whatever I change in iTunes gets auto updated in JRiver (with Auto Import set up).  Likewise if I change metadata in JRiver that will update in iTunes but it seems to require a close and open of iTunes most of the time. 

Bottom line in my experience no problem with a single file structure used between both.
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

robertus3

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 06:55:06 am »

Have the same experience. iTunes and MC can both point to the same music library.

There is only one but..... if you start using HD music files, for instance 24bits 196K, the standard music app on an iPhone or an iPod will not be able to play this kind of files. 24 bits is ok, but 48K is usually the limit. So, I maintained an extra file in iTunes especially for iPhones and iPods. A bit annoying though, but it works effortlessly.

Nowadays I use Kaisertone on my iPhone, which can play all music as well. But this is no solution for iPods.

nemick

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 09:08:29 pm »

I also use just one file structure for iTunes and MC and I have never had a problem. Just tell MC where the iTunes music files are kept and it'll take it from there .

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 07:35:20 pm »

same same

dmitch77

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 04:34:29 pm »

I've been in the same situation as you describe for a few years now. What I do is point MC at my existing iTunes library for one set of music, and also point it at a second set of files, which are high-res files that iTunes can't handle. As long as I use iTunes to maintain its own library (for importing, managing tags, and syncing iDevices), MC is perfectly happy to keep track of whatever happens there. Then I use other tools to maintain the High-res music that's only for MC.

Once you set up MC's import options to use both sets of files, you don't have to worry about anything else.

It works great.
Pages: [1]   Go Up