INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync to hard drive folder - how can I control the file naming convention?  (Read 4317 times)

sdaughtry

• Recent member

What I want the tree structure to look like:
AC-DC
 .. album name_track#_song title.mp3
Aerosmith

and so on...

by default, the JRiver SYNC builds a top level folder with the Artist/Band name and a subfolder for each album; witinh the album subfolder the MP3 files for that album are stored:

AC-DC
..\Album Name
..\..\song title.mp3
..\..\song title.mp3
..\..\song title.mp3
..\Album Name
..\..\song title.mp3
..\..\song title.mp3

and so on...

I've tried dozens of variations with the predefined Library Fields in the 'Files, Paths & More' section of the 'Handheld' screen - the result was usually creating folder names for each song title (which resulted in thousands of folders <g>)!!.  It seemed like something like this would work (but it didn't):    [Artist]\[Album]_[TrackNumber]-[Title]

The reason I am trying to achieve this more streamlined directory tree is I just purchased a Teac streaming media player that is controlled with an Android phone - the poorly written Teac smartphone app must re-ping the server to display the next batch of folder names - the more folders/subfolders you have created with the SYNC option means more work trying to find what you want to play via a smartphone's tiny display.

Is what I am seeking achievable, and if so, how do I achieve it?

MikeO

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sync to hard drive folder - how can I control the file naming convention?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 05:18:21 am »

Try a new view which is [Artist] , then an expression [Artist] - [Album] -[Name]

if I have read right that should give you what you want ?

Mike

MikeO

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 05:21:02 am »

sorry that should read an Expression [Album] - [Name] not with an Artist prefix

Mike

221bBS

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 11:17:09 am »

Base Path: (enter the base path)
Rule:either
Code: [Select]
[Album Artist (auto)]or
[Album Artist]
Filename:
Rule:
[Album] - [Track #] - [Name]
If you use the Disc # for multidisc but leave it empty for single
[Album] - If(IsEmpty([Disc #]),,[Disc #]-)-[Track #] - [Name]

sdaughtry

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 08:06:31 pm »

Hi Mike:

The file naming convention is how I want JRiver Media Center to export the MP3 files to the hard drive folder -vs- how they are displayed within Media Center.. everything I tried would not change the filename of the exported file - the filename kept the original filename as it is stored on my network. All of the predefined field names only changed the exported folder's name :(

sdaughtry

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 08:10:00 pm »

221BBS: thank you for the reply! How do I enter the two different strings within the 'Audio Path' section of the Files, Paths & More area of the HANDHELD OPTIONS screen to create the desired export folder tree and filename format? Everytime I modify that entry field it ALWAYS adds a trailing slash character which results in folders created for every single MP3 file :(

221bBS

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 05:08:46 am »

You can state the path of the files but not the filename. The filename is the same as the one it's copying from. So, in order for you to do what you want, you would have to rename the original files.

The steps I listed was for renaming the original files using "Rename, Move, Copy Files" window.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 07:32:50 am »

The Handheld Sync tool is good, but it doesn't do everything everyone wants it to.

In this particular case, you can probably work around the problem by using the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool.  Notice the last part of it's name:  Copy!  You can use it to copy your files, while leaving the originals untouched.  You can use the full power of the RM&C tool, changing the directory and filenames as you choose.  See full details on the Wiki page:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

Brian.

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 11:02:24 am »

That and you can trivially create a whole new database.  Use that and then import in that library whatever you sync'd to your media device.  Then do whatever filename managing techniques you need.  Or any other utilities (like normalization, etc) that can't be done as readily during the sync process.

Note that a set of directories with media can get clogged up with ton of extra metadata and files over the years.  Using the sync tool and tightly restricting what gets copied (as in, not all the metadata jpg, xml and other cruft) to create a fresh new set of files.  Then move those to where you'd like and create a new database there. 

sdaughtry

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 05:05:36 pm »

I ended up using the Library tool to rename each file on the hard drive to the desired format - then I could export/sync the files the way I need them to show up on my iPad that I use to control my Teac streaming media player. Not ideal, but it works/worked <g>.

Merry Christmas to each of you that replied to my query - I appreciate you!

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen

The Handheld Sync tool is good, but it doesn't do everything everyone wants it to.

Indeed.  It would be fantastic if it supported filename renaming in addition to path templates.

Interestingly, Handheld Sync works for copying files when using MC as a client connected to an MC server library.

However, the renamer DOES NOT.  You can use Handheld sync to copy tracks, but you can't use the other.  I get why, of course, since the renaming tool is affecting the source files themselves.  Where the sync tool is only making copies. 

I'd gladly pay extra to have the handheld sync feature support filename templates.  I know additions to code don't come without work.  I'd be willing to contribute if it helped assign some dev time to making it work.  I'd likewise be willing to test if it'd help.

Nothing terribly fancy, mainly just "[Name].[File Type]" or potentially "[Track #] - [Name].[File Type]" to allow keeping source media ordering for radios that use alpha sorting. 

Using the full range of Predefined Library Types would be great, of course, but I'd be more than happy with a subset if it made things simpler.  I know throwing in a feature like this may not be something simple.  But it'd really add some needed functionality. 

I regularly come across users on other forums looking for a good media wrangling tool for their car radios.  MC is still one of the best tools for doing this.  Having sync handle file renaming would be a very helpful addition for this purpose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up