INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver on mac with Retina Display extreme jerking. Not usable.  (Read 3118 times)

nopromusicuser

JRiver on mac with Retina Display extreme jerking. Not usable.
« on: September 17, 2016, 07:46:12 am »

Have now for 2 months a mac 4k (Intel Iris) and use there JRiver (currently 22.0.22).

Unfortunately, all views, especially with album images, stutter extremely on. A "surf" through the albums is not possible.

Have switched on and off the Retina Mode. And the resolution of the album images set to the lowest level. No improvement.

Is there a solution?

Think that JRiver the graphic engine does not use properly.
If there is no solution - a view is possible browsing "page by page"?

Thanks for your help.

BrownBear

• Recent member
Re: JRiver on mac with Retina Display extreme jerking. Not usable.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 10:43:21 am »

Hi,

I have seen the same issue on my Macbook pro (late 2013 model with 16GB ram and Nvidia card on latest OSX). Seems like JRiver struggles with the retina display (not the retina setting in JRiver, which makes things worse).

I set my macbook to retina mode scaled to show more content (~1980x1200) and JRiver is not scrollable when viewing covers/thumbnails in standard view. Reducing the retina scaling in system preferences to default (~1440x900) improves things slightly but still unusable essentially.

The only work around I found was to set the JRiver app to run in lower resolution mode. To do this oo to the Applications folder, right click the JRiver app and select Get Info. On this window there is a setting (tick box) to run the app in low resolution mode. Not sure if you need to hold the options or CMD key? This makes the app usable and scrolling greatly improves (still not windows version smooth), however the app is then not that sharp anymore and some fonts is unreadable. This is only noticeable when writing expressions for views and things.

Hope this helps. This is the only reason I have not gotten a mac license for the app yet as the windows app runs smoother. Will wait for the next version to see if it improves before going for a master license.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 11:00:03 am »

I don't think your diagnosis is correct.  There are many people on this forum using Retina macbook pros that don't report any kind of scrolling issues.

I have a "retina" 5k iMac and I don't see any scrolling issues.  I wonder if your thumbnails have not yet been completely built.  Look at Help > System Info > Processing  .

See what percentage your thumbnails are at.  If MC is still building thumbnails in the background, that would definitely slow it down.  If you have a large library, it might take hours to complete.  But once it's done, it should be very quick.

Brian.

BrownBear

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 11:08:34 am »

Hi Brain,

Thumbnails fully build. Even rebuilt them as a test since another post also mentioned this.
As mentioned the low resolution mode is what solved it (made things better) for me.

Not sure if the skin plays a role? I experienced this with the Black on Black and the new Modern View skin.

I can try do a screen capture showing the difference.

BrownBear

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 02:47:19 pm »

Here is a short demo showing the effects of enabling retina mode on my macbook pro or increasing the scaling in the system preferences.
Ultimately increasing the scaling or enabling the retina option in JRiver, reduces the scrolling performance.

When setting the app to run in lower resolution mode greatly improves the scrolling even in the scaled mode. The only negative is that the text quality goes down.

https://we.tl/Oi0xJoBFTh

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 04:52:53 pm »

I think I understand what you are reporting now.  Your'e talking about the scrolling, when using the track pad, or scroll wheel on a mouse, looking kind of "chunky" or "jerky".  I've kind of gotten used to it, so I wasn't sure what you meant.  I thought you were saying scrolling was slow and hard to do.

Scrolling for me is rather jerky.  I use a mouse wheel and it goes in chunks.  Even carefully dragging the scroll bar, it kind of "pops" into place about one row at a time.  It's not smooth and fluid.  It doesn't bother me much, but I agree that it's not all that pleasing.

So, my system seems to behave very much like yours. 

Brian.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 07:31:21 pm »

I apologize for being off topic but if the thumbnails are not fully built (mine are at 58%) how to you initiate a thumbnail build to ensure they are at 100% or is this something that occurs each time you open JRiver?
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 07:35:22 pm »

^

Tools > Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails > Build missing thumbnails

Brian.

MrBiff

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 02:52:33 pm »

Scrolling lots of data on MC for Mac has always been really slow.  This has been reported by quite a few users, including me.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,105045.msg731497.html#msg731497
Pages: [1]   Go Up